Thread: Does it hurt to tune with single wideband on drivers side?

Tuner

Does it hurt to tune with single wideband on drivers side?

I know the better way would be to have dual widebands to read both banks, but what is the theory behind just using the one side? You would be only reading half of what the engine is outputting so your tune would be off by what ever the error is between both banks? Or does it not matter if you tune with just the one side?
    Torque_Vector
    408ci stroker LS3 1998 BMW 323is - 490RWHP 466RWT in 100 degree weather
    260cc CNC Ported PRC heads, 11.25:1 Compression, 4" stroke, 242/250 .615/.615", Nick Williams 92mm TB, LS3 intake/fuel rails, FAST 39# INJ, 3" x-pipe dual exhaust

Additions: ID1300 INJ, Flex Fuel Sensor, Aeromotive 5GPM variable speed Fuel Pump...

Advanced Tuner
    It doesn't matter. Think about it, you only have 1 map for both banks. You do have 02s for each bank that adjust both sides, but that is a multiplier based off of one table. Dual widebands would only really matter if you were emulating the narrowbands and keeping them there permanently.

Using one side has always been just fine. V8 turbo guys can only use one wideband after the turbo.

You can view o2 readings/fuel trims/injectors per bank and the like to pretty much get a great grasp of what the whole motor is doing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by matty b View Post
    It doesn't matter. Think about it, you only have 1 map for both banks. You do have 02s for each bank that adjust both sides, but that is a multiplier based off of one table. Dual widebands would only really matter if you were emulating the narrowbands and keeping them there permanently.
    Yes, but that one table your talking about is the VE table correct? I would think even though you have one MAP sensor the table would reflect the side you have the wideband on, so it probably is a small difference that you can neglect from what i am understanding.
    Torque_Vector
    260cc CNC Ported PRC heads, 11.25:1 Compression, 4" stroke, 242/250 .615/.615", Nick Williams 92mm TB, LS3 intake/fuel rails, FAST 39# INJ, 3" x-pipe dual exhaust

Additions: ID1300 INJ, Flex Fuel Sensor, Aeromotive 5GPM variable speed Fuel Pump...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Torque_Vector View Post
    Yes, but that one table your talking about is the VE table correct? I would think even though you have one MAP sensor the table would reflect the side you have the wideband on, so it probably is a small difference that you can neglect from what i am understanding.
    Yep. Assuming the motor is in good condition and fuel trims aren't way off like +1 on Bank 1 and -24 on Bank 2, the PCM will deal with the small issues bank to bank on its own. You are correct that there will be slight differences, but for this situation, its of little consequence.

That said, if we had the ability to trim EACH cylinder and had a WB and/or EGT on each cylinder, it would be a big F'n deal but since we dont ... Dont worry bout it.

Tuner
    Yep. Assuming the motor is in good condition and fuel trims aren't way off like +1 on Bank 1 and -24 on Bank 2, the PCM will deal with the small issues bank to bank on its own. You are correct that there will be slight differences, but for this situation, its of little consequence.

That said, if we had the ability to trim EACH cylinder and had a WB and/or EGT on each cylinder, it would be a big F'n deal but since we dont ... Dont worry bout it.
    Ok, cool. So do you have a preference in wide band placement when you have an X pipe? Like putting it in the center of the X? I am just curious because I almost installed it there, but decided not to.
    Torque_Vector

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, cool. So do you have a preference in wide band placement when you have an X pipe? Like putting it in the center of the X? I am just curious because I almost installed it there, but decided not to.
    Just pull one of the front O2s and put your wideband in there. You want the sensor within a few inches of the collector outlet so mounting in the X pipe might be a bit far away.

Tuner
    Just pull one of the front O2s and put your wideband in there. You want the sensor within a few inches of the collector outlet so mounting in the X pipe might be a bit far away.
    I have it in a separate bung welded downstream about ~20" from collector(followed Innovates manual) and my stock NB02's are a little closer to the collector. I just leave the wide band in with the NB02s. I custom made my exhaust system except for the headers so I just guessed at the locations for the NB's.
    Torque_Vector

Advanced Tuner
    I have it in a separate bung welded downstream about ~20" from collector(followed Innovates manual) and my stock NB02's are a little closer to the collector. I just leave the wide band in with the NB02s. I custom made my exhaust system except for the headers so I just guessed at the locations for the NB's.
    Thats fine. I used to always weld a bung into cars for the WB, but I had an epiphany that was totally obvious. When you are tuning, the car is forced into open loop, if its in open loop the pre cat O2s are just sitting there getting hot and dont do anything. You can pull the sensor and put a WB in place to tune and then put the stock sensor back in when you are done. This wont work if you are permanently installing a WB and gauge, but for tuning, cant beat the ease of that method.