Hey all,
I am really new and really green to tuning, but want to learn. I think I have a fairly unique situation. I am building a street rod and have a 5.3l with 4l60E trans installed, which is fairly common. But, due to under-hood height restrictions I had to replace the stock truck intake with an LS1 intake (EGR plugged), which came with the fuel rails and injectors for the 5.7l. I purchased the Painless LS1 wiring harness w/ECM a couple of years ago, and had Painless flash it with what I knew at the time, which wasn?t much, and had not encountered the intake change issue yet. Fast forward a couple of years and I am now trying to get the engine running, and needless to say its running rich, and only runs for about 20 seconds (poorly). I built an engine run stand, and have the engine, radiator, and trans mounted in it, for convenience. Rigged up an air inlet with a blade-type MAF and temperature sensor, O2 sensors upstream of the cats, so everything is there for me to get it to run. I recently purchased HP Tuners standard version, to help me get the engine running and then tuned, but have a few questions:
1. Can I scan the Painless ECU (GM p/n 12200411) and get the original information, fill in the blanks, and then re-write it?
2. Do I need to put the VIN in to do anything? The build doesn?t have one yet.
3. Where would be the best place to start? Should I download a stock tune, start there, and re-write? Or will the Painless flash have everything I need?
Thanks, in advance, for your help.