Thread: rich smell @ idle

Tuner in Training

rich smell @ idle

Hey guys,
    I'm relatively new to tuning, but I'm trying to learn. I have an 02 t/a with a 408 lsx 6 bolt heads twin 72's running off of pump gas. The car does not have cats of course. It has a 235/231 621/619 115+3 cam. It has 52 degrees overlap. I was curious if there was anything I could do to tuning the idle where I could get rid of the rich smell. It is running around 15 afr or so while its idling. Hopefully this isn't a complete noob question/stupid question. Any input would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    car has 95lb high impedance injectors btw

Tuner in Training

scan

Here's the scan as well. I am sd tuned as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Install high flow cats.

Russ Kemp

Tuning Addict
    Dial in your injection timing - wont eliminate, but will significantly help....
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Dial in your injection timing - wont eliminate, but will significantly help....
    Push your injection timing back later to help with the un-burnt fuel getting past the exhaust valve.
    1968 Chevy C10 SWB - Project
    2018 Denali L5P

Tuner in Training
    Ok is there any threads that cover this? I'm all for learning but I haven't really found much

Tuning Addict
    Yes - Lots... Your ECT table with move your start of injection "soi" immediately for idle and cruise areas whereas the boundary will move the "border" of where the last possible injection timing can take place - this will also control soi, but more so when getting into throttle - not necessarily at idle..... Make the numbers higher to "retard" the injection timing in the boundary. Make the number smaller to advance it.... If you've got cats, you can probably advance it for better effects. NO cats or boost = better off retarding it... As for your ect table, make the numbers higher to retard it and smaller to advance it - confirmed this to be correct for your OS - some out there are different You might also want to make some of the colder temp areas the same as the hotter temp areas if your having problems more so when cold with things going lean or stumbling with throttle snaps...

Think that pretty well sums up the basics for you... Now you'll just need to play with it until you find "your" happy median
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Ok well I'll definitely study this.... Sorry for another newbie question, but will changing the injector timing get me into trouble regarding afr's and knock? I know that it will be the same volume of fuel being injected, but will that be an issue with boost, timing etc. Can someone point me in the right direction to start learning all of this? I think this would be a really good trade to have under my belt since I have this car which I've built but can't tune lol. Thanks again for the help and I'll definitely start studying this. I think I read in one of your posts ghuggins that you've helped with spool time etc on turbo cars. Would you care to school me a bit on this or point me towards some of those threads as well. Again, I am learning and I don't want to torch my car down so if I'm getting into something that I could potentially get into trouble with tuning wise let me know please. Thanks for all your input guys. I really do appreciate you taking the time for the idiots like me. Chris

Tuning Addict
    Any time you change injection timing for the best, you typically richen things up - SO yes, you'll need to most likely retune your MAF and VE tables Usually will help with Knock...

~Greg Huggins~