Thread: LSA Supercharger on 03 Sierra 6.0L Hesitation Problems

LSA Supercharger on 03 Sierra 6.0L Hesitation Problems

Hey guys, I've been around the forum lurking for years but have never posted. I've learned lots about tuning over the years but by no means am I a pro. I've got the truck tuned in fairly decent running the stock 1 bar os with maf when it is warmed up. The only problem it has is when it is driven before it hits operating temperature it has a bad off idle hesitation and my wideband goes lean off the scale when you hit the throttle. I can't put my finger on what is causing it and would love any tips on what table I am overlooking or if I just failed at creating a good VE or the MAF is maybe just not scaled right? Here is a log of driving it when cold and the current file (both scan and file made in 3.0). Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Matthew
    -2003 Chevy Silverado SS AWD, Stock...
    -2003 GMC Sierra Denali AWD, LSA supercharged LQ4 6.0L
    -1957 Chevy 2DR Bel Air LQ9/T56...
    -1957 Chevy 2DR Bel Air LQ4/4L80E, Magnacharged
    -1969 Chevy C-10 Stepside, Restored, LQ9, L92 heads, LS3 intake, Comp LSR cam and more

Just made a change to the tune which (maybe) will help out my problem. Let me know if I am on the right track. I changed the VE from 45kpa to 105kpa and added 10% in the 400 and 800 rpm areas. Then went for a drive, truck was warm so no hesitation but fuel trims may be better than they where before. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Matthew
    -1969 Chevy C-10 Stepside, Restored, LQ9, L92 heads, LS3 intake, Comp LSR cam and more

I made a change to your tune see if it helps

Thanks for the help! I will flash it in a couple hours once the truck cools down and see if it fixes the issue.
    -Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    I made a change to your tune see if it helps
    Hey Road, tested the change and the hesitation is still there, as shown in this log. Any tips?
    -Matthew

Tuning Addict
    Add 1 to your injection timing "Normal" from 56 Celsius down. See if that makes any difference at all...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

What injectors are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    What injectors are you using?
    Delphi 42lb 17113739, the data I am using is from a repository stock Magnacharger tune... Possibly the issue?
    -Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Add 1 to your injection timing "Normal" from 56 Celsius down. See if that makes any difference at all...
    I tried this and it did make a slight difference, not nearly hesitating as bad but looks like the fuel trims didn't like the change much. Is it possible my injector data for these 42lb injectors is bad?
    -Matthew

Tuning Addict
    Change boundary to 6.65 now and see if it doesn't continue to get better... I have to do this for people on a regular basis... One of the reasons why I've gotten so good with injection timing You have to think about it like this - Now you've got pressurized air going into the cylinder when the intake valve is opened unlike before where it was being sucked in = more chance of fuel to go out the exhaust = less in cylinder to burn = lean tip-in issues...... As of now we've been retarding the injection timing for the colder temps. Now we're going to retard the injection timing "limit" as a whole = won't change start of injection a lot for normal driving, but will for larger ms pulsewidth demands to hopefully help more with the tip-in's as a whole...

Goal for fuel trims is more (-) / You can always dial in the maf and ve once the injection timing is figured out

Hope this helps...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAKSS View Post
    Delphi 42lb 17113739, the data I am using is from a repository stock Magnacharger tune... Possibly the issue?
    Injector data is ok. Follow what GHiggins recommends and retune from there.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Change boundary to 6.65 now and see if it doesn't continue to get better... I have to do this for people on a regular basis... One of the reasons why I've gotten so good with injection timing You have to think about it like this - Now you've got pressurized air going into the cylinder when the intake valve is opened unlike before where it was being sucked in = more chance of fuel to go out the exhaust = less in cylinder to burn = lean tip-in issues...... As of now we've been retarding the injection timing for the colder temps. Now we're going to retard the injection timing "limit" as a whole = won't change start of injection a lot for normal driving, but will for larger ms pulsewidth demands to hopefully help more with the tip-in's as a whole...

Goal for fuel trims is more (-) / You can always dial in the maf and ve once the injection timing is figured out

Hope this helps...
    Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it! Your injection timing suggestions seem to have done the trick now that I have got the maf and ve tables adjusted back in with those changes. I will recheck tomorrow when its cold again and follow up if need be. Here is the final tune I figured out for it and the final log doing some quick wot runs. Thanks to Road as well!
    -Matthew

Are you running a boost referenced FPR? I need the data for the injectors, but I'm only running a corvette style FPR. Thanks in advance.
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

Quote Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
    Are you running a boost referenced FPR? I need the data for the injectors, but I'm only running a corvette style FPR. Thanks in advance.
    Bump
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

Advanced Tuner
    Ghuggins I am assuming that you have used the injector timing here to fix this in e40,e38 etc pcms? If so, by changing the reference period by 1,you have changed it by 90 degrees correct? Assuming this calibration is in reference periods and not degrees like the e40 and e38. If so is this again the typical value or offset needed to see the results you have been getting?