Thread: relocating the knock sesnors from under intake to side of block

relocating the knock sesnors from under intake to side of block

I recently relocated my knock sensors since I did a lsx swap and was wondering if I need to adjust the ecm since I relocated them?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Raddtadd View Post
    I recently relocated my knock sensors since I did a lsx swap and was wondering if I need to adjust the ecm since I relocated them?
    I would say yes.

How much - that's the secret I guess. :-)

When you are at dyno doing tuning AND you are using proper equipment (headphones) you will hear when it knocks. Just increase the sensitivity for the sensors to find out the level for the knock sensor responsiviness with your setup.

I have done this change on two gen 3 vehicles using gen 4 motors.
    Both worked fine.
    Every motor is different so you may need to adjust the knock sensor parameters.
    I check them by lightly tapping on the engine or a bracket while watching the scanner for knock retard.
    Hope this helps.

So you lightly tap in order to get a reading and to adjust the knock sensor parameters?

Advanced Tuner
    I did the same swap, gen 3 knock sensors in the side of my ls3 block. I tried slowly turning up the sensitivity to get some kind of response, even if it were false, then backed it down a little.
    2000 T/A - Thompson Motorsports 416ls3, F1A procharger, HP tuned. Just a couple psi of boost.
    2013 Mercedes C350, wish HPtuners worked.

Advanced Tuner
    I relocated mine in my LS376 swap, but not to the standard positions, as they got in the way of the headers, mine ended up in a couple of retapped holes on each side close to the front of the block, but they seem to operate ok there, even without tweaking the tables. It detected knock on heavy throttle (my car is a manual) quite well, so (so far) I haven't changed the tables...

I have read different stories on this, with some people saying they worked fine, or needed only minimal adjustment, and others saying they didn't work at all... soooo.... ???

Yes, sorry for the delay in replying.I`m not on here very often.Here is the Description from GM on Gen 3 Knock Sensor Operation,testing.

Circuit Description
    The knock sensors (KS) produce an AC signal under all engine operating conditions. When the engine is running, the powertrain control module (PCM) learns a minimum and maximum frequency of normal engine noise. The KS system monitors both knock sensors in order to determine if knock is present. If the KS system determines that excessive knock is present, the PCM retards the spark timing based on the signals from the KS. The PCM continues to retard timing until no knock is present. If the PCM detects that the frequency is out of the normal range, DTC P0327 or P0332 will set.

DTC Descriptors
    This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:

DTC P0327 Knock Sensor (KS) 1 Circuit Low Frequency
    DTC P0332 Knock Sensor (KS) 2 Circuit Low Frequency
    Conditions for Running the DTC
    DTCs P0116, P0117, P0118, P0120, P0122, P0123, P0125, P0128, P0220, or P2135 are not set.
    The minimum noise level must be learned. The minimum noise level is learned when the following conditions are met:
    The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 60?C (140?F).
    The engine RPM is between 475–975 for 10 seconds.
    The engine speed is between 1,500–3,000 RPM.
    The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) is less than 45 kPa.
    The engine run time is more than 10 seconds.
    The ignition voltage is more than 10 volts.
    DTC P0327 or DTC P0332 runs continuously once the above conditions are met.
    Knock Sensor tests:

Turn OFF the ignition.
    Remove the intake manifold sight shield. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement.
    Disconnect the knock sensor (KS) inline harness connector.
    Measure the resistance from the signal circuit of the affected KS to ground with a DMM. Refer to Inline Harness Connector End Views.
    Is the resistance of the KS within the specified range?
    93K–107K Ω

Important: Do not tap on any plastic engine components.
    Ignition OFF, DMM still connected from previous step.
    Set the DMM to the 400 V AC scale. Select the Hz mode. Let the reading stabilize at 0 Hz.
    Tap on the engine block near the affected KS while observing the DMM.
    Does the DMM display a fluctuating frequency while tapping on the engine block near the KS?

This info is from GMSI. 2006 6.0 truck.
    Hope this helps.