Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Tune out Surging

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    if you do it for OP but the car surges in another MP then it wouldn't affect anything, right?

are you sure your issue isn't mechanical?

post your tune.
    It still surged in OP. ive tried playing with mapped points before and it doesnt care what its running itll still do it. so im thinking my issue isnt the torque tables. This is the tune that i DID NOT use for what i just mentioned. This is whats in the car now.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I noticed your Aircharge Load at WOT is stock but you are boosted so I doubt those values are correct.....

Your driver demand table looks altered, I would put that back to stock

your throttle angle max, max angle vs rpm, and tb values do not match

pedal position wot start is very low, and tip in management is Enabled, which I would disable

you have maximum intake cam advance for OP but do you think that's best for boost?

WOT Enrichment rate, I would change to 1.0

Where does 10.10L come from for manifold volume, is that correct?

Oscillation and Torque Intervention are Disabled, I would enable them

ETC Torque Management tables look stock, I would think these would limit throttle or cause it to be weird.

Clutch protection and torque truncation are enabled

until you address these items I don't think you will get any closer to resolving the surging in your car.

I noticed your Aircharge Load at WOT is stock but you are boosted so I doubt those values are correct.....

Your driver demand table looks altered, I would put that back to stock

your throttle angle max, max angle vs rpm, and tb values do not match

pedal position wot start is very low, and tip in management is Enabled, which I would disable

you have maximum intake cam advance for OP but do you think that's best for boost?

WOT Enrichment rate, I would change to 1.0

Where does 10.10L come from for manifold volume, is that correct?

Oscillation and Torque Intervention are Disabled, I would enable them

ETC Torque Management tables look stock, I would think these would limit throttle or cause it to be weird.

Clutch protection and torque truncation are enabled

until you address these items I don't think you will get any closer to resolving the surging in your car.

Hey higgs, thanks for digging thru all that. Ive updated everything you mentioned short for, clutch protection and truncation as well as "tb values." For the trans ones dont you just set them high which disables them? if theres a switch i missed ill toggle that instead. For the tb values im not sure what you mean exaxtly unless youre talking tb model. The wot start i set based on what a local friend whos tuned a few these mentioned as well as what the cookbook stated. also been using that to bandaid the surge.

For fueling delay you mean the single number table under WOT fuel, labeled ECM 1560 enrichment delay right?

ETC TM table has been raised to my blower dyno chart and added 10 percent as i beleive thats torque at the fly right?

The cam timings under intake/valve opening in OP are logged from a know tune ive had. for now those will suffice and the car doesnt feel any slower. once i get passed this ive already talked to a buddy and plan on strapping her down and getting the wot section tuned so i can move on with my life.

EDIT: for the trans trunc and clutch, are you referring to the fuel cut torque and spark torque tables in TQ managment? in which case i set trans truc to 1 and 0 in the matching tables just unsure which on is clutch protection.

Also one last note. i did leave driver demand to what i have. I compared to stock and even maxed out the torque request is tiny on a boosted car. we can play with that next if anything.
    Last edited by thegraystang; 03-20-2016 at 03:44 AM.

The two posts above are ironic as I was just going to ask how the Torque Intervention being disabled plays into the IPC error and the surging issue you started the thread about.
    I see that Torque Intervention is disabled in my setup, does that make the process you described at the beginning of the thread null and void?
    Trying to understand this puzzle one step at a time.

Also, I'm trying to get your scanner layout to work on my 13 GT, do I need to change the values in the filter functions, and if so I don't know what those values correspond to? The 19021.156
    Update: I just found the Variable Wizard and will see if I can get this layout working.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GapRider; 03-20-2016 at 10:59 AM.
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

Search the word "indicated"

If you get nothing then I will check and see what might read the same. You have an 11-14?

Also, make sure you have the latest version of 3.0 and when you connect Scanner to car, click Vehicle --> Repoll Parameters
    I don't see Indicated Torque either, after downloading latest version of scanner and repolling for parameters. Is the post by Eric meaning each person needing this Indicated Torque should request it individually, or should I use a different torque channel to log?
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

we all probably need to request it individually as ford uses so many different strategies I don't think it works like a GM where it's easier to apply a change to lots of OS's at once, but I don't know for sure.

as far as torque intervention specifically, if it's disabled stock then leave it that way. I am no expert Ford tuner that knows the definition of every criteria but I do a lot of experimentation and feel like I've figured out a lot of it so far....

My buddy just bought a 2012 GT500 and I have set up a tune for that which looks more like you guys' strategies; we will work on it more this coming week and hopefully I will learn a lot more.
    Last edited by Higgs Boson; 03-20-2016 at 02:26 PM.

we all probably need to request it individually as ford uses so many different strategies I don't think it works like a GM where it's easier to apply a change to lots of OS's at once, but I don't know for sure.

as far as torque intervention specifically, if it's disabled stock then leave it that way. I am no expert Ford tuner that knows the definition of every criteria but I do a lot of experimentation and feel like I've figured out a lot of it so far....

My buddy just bought a 2012 GT500 and I have set up a tune for that which looks more like you guys' strategies; we will work on it more this coming week and hopefully I will learn a lot more.
    Thanks brother. I'll make the request for indicated torque channel

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Just so I have this straight and for clarification, the torque values in driver demand table are requesting load from the Y-axis of the torque inverse table. This tells the ECU what torque the driver wants and what load it needs to tell the engine to produce. The ecu then calculates the engines load(VE) and applies it to the y axis of the torque calculation tables to get the indicated engine torque. The ECU then compares the driver demand torque/load and the indicated engine torque/load and decides ether to open or close the TB to sync them.
    Just trying to digest your (very helpful) paragraph - when I follow your logic through looking at the actual tables you mention, at the end of the trail, it looks like I end up where I began, ie, I start with an arbitrary pedal position and RPM in the Driver demand table, it gives me a torque.
    I go to the torque inverse table and it gives me a corresponding load.
    I take that load and go to the torque calculation table and I end up with basically the torque number I started with from the driver demand table.

My naive question is why does Ford do all that, why don't they just take the torque number from the driver demand table directly (without going through that loop described) and apply it? Is all of that loop there for IPC, or am I missing something really obvious which wouldn't surprise me.
    Last edited by GapRider; 03-20-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    Stock everything else

Man I just took a quick look at that and wow, it's what I imagined I'd have to put together for myself as I learned! Thank you!
    Stock everything else

Higgs i did all of what you mentioned and it didnt have much if any effect. i left it as is as some of that stuff seemed like i needed correcting anyways. I changed the drive tables just now so ill give it a whirl in the morning.

Advanced Tuner
    Great info Higgs! What does E78 and E39 refer to?

Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    Great info Higgs! What does E78 and E39 refer to?
    They are two GM pcm model numbers. The current ecm in the new stuff is the e92.

Tuner in Training
    Higgs, I went through this again Friday and the car is running very well. Thanks again for your help!

At this point I'm like confident it's the strategy not liking the blower.

well. like i said, it was the strategy afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by thegraystang View Post
    well. like i said, it was the strategy afterall.
    How do you know, did you fix it?

How do you know, did you fix it?
    Txcharlie posted a file in one of the threads and i said the hell with it and licensed it. copy all. flash. problem solved. gonna drive it more and report back for sure. but drove to work and some local driving and i can't find any of the oscillation i was getting.
    Last edited by thegraystang; 03-22-2016 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thegraystang View Post
    Txcharlie posted a file in one of the threads and i said the hell with it and licensed it. copy all. flash. problem solved. gonna drive it more and report back for sure. but drove to work and some local driving and i can't find any of the oscillation i was getting.
    good, i am glad you got it sorted. :-)

Tuner in Training
    Any chance I can get a copy of that gt350 calibration for the throttlebody values?