Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help stuck along road

Advanced Tuner

Help stuck along road

So I have a stock 2.2 2005 cavalier. I go to flash a tune after some VE adjustments. Now when I go to flash all I get is controller unlocker, timed out. Ive pulled fuse, unhooked battery etc etc. Im a 100 miles from home and screwed. 4192034443

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone have anyone I might could call?

Advanced Tuner

Help stuck along road

Im stuck!!!! I go to flash a tune on a 2005 Cavalier and when I click write i get a fail that says Controller Unlocker/ Timed out.
    No wifi so I cant post anything. Any help? 4192034443
    Literally a 100miles from home and car now wont start.

Were you doing a write calibration or a write entire?

What software version are you using?

Make sure you're waiting at least 15 sec after key on before you try the write. Also, post the last tune you wrote to the vehicle.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Make sure that no lock/Master_Slave data is included in this window. Press clear if it is ... EDIT>Calibration Details>Remote Tuner

Ed M
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    18.hpt
    I have tried a write caliberation, and full write. I am running version 3.0.37

Advanced Tuner
    I posted the tune. Here is the Suit info

*removed*

Advanced Tuner
    I am not sure how to post a screen shot but I followed your instructions Motown and there was nothing in the remote tuner box to clear or Slave data

full write can brick your PCM. You should only do a full write if you are changing the operating system, an operating system parameter, or are recovering from a full write.

Your tune does not appear locked in any way. It's possible you bricked it by trying the write entire, then pulling the fuse.

Advanced Tuner
    So had the car towed back 100miles. Got it in the shop, disconnected the battery and letting it charge, also unplugged the PCM for the time being. Not sure either will make a difference but I seen some posts that said it might. I have a aftermarket radio and about the same time I put it in I upgraded to 3.0 software. Before I never had any issues writing caliberations into the car. After I notice it was hit or miss with bootloader time out error messages. Some time I could flash a tune, sometime it wouldn't unless I waited for some time. I never could get it the issue to reproduce so I took it as being software. Now I see people say the aftermarket radios with door chime adapter causes issues. So I pulled the radio fuse. Went for a flash and I also select slow speed or unchecked high speed down load. Seemed like it worked, took about 6 minutes or so. Then car would not start. Scanner will not connect or read the pcm. I am getting the message...... Controller Unlocker, Timed out. This is waiting longer then 15 seconds to flash. That brings me up to when I posted on here....while sitting long the road.

Advanced Tuner
    That's funny but not funny because had the HPtuners shops they always full write.... no maybe they meant with what they tune and that not being my car model. Is there anything else Bill to try, trouble shoot, experiment before I go hunting to a pcm?

I dont follow your timeline. Did that stuff happen before you towed, or after you towed.

"That brings me up to when I posted on here....while sitting long the road." - this makes your post confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by popeye55 View Post
    That's funny but not funny because had the HPtuners shops they always full write.... no maybe they meant with what they tune and that not being my car model. Is there anything else Bill to try, trouble shoot, experiment before I go hunting to a pcm?
    Then your shops are taking extra risks for no reason.

Advanced Tuner
    These were not my shops. I got off work "Firefighter" and drove to a local store and had about 20 min of logging from the drive. At the store I made a few VE table changes and went flash. Pulled the radio fuse to see if I would avoid the bootloader time out errors I had been having from time to time. No luck so I tried a couple more tries and had no luck on high or slow speed more. The car would not start. So I was stuck along the road well parking lot. So I uninstalled HPTuners and reinstalled, I tried restarting computer, I tried flashing as soon as I tuned the key on as well as letting it wait some time. I some how got it to flash using the slow speed. It took about 6-7 minutes and said it completed. After that I still could not start the car as well as I was getting the error, Controller Unlocker, time out. I have tried differnet USB ports on laptop. With the cable disconnected from laptop I have a green light on the interface. I didn't have loose battery connections or blow fuses to my knowledge. So after all that I was on the good ol google and searching shops that were open that tune GM with HPTuners. This is the same time I post on here with my cell. I since, had the car towed and I am not home, car is in shop with battery and pcm disconnected and battery on charger. I don't think voltage was a issue as it was a new battery.

According to that, the car didn't even start writing before you had no start issues, so, it's likely related to something else.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes the car ran to where I stopped. It wrote in low speed and appeared to be a slow but good flash. However it would just crank and not fire. I then was unable to get the scanner to connect and read as well as when I would try to flash even the stock tune I get the Controller Unlocker timed out as soon as I click "Write"

if you failed during a write entire, you must perform a write entire to recover it.

If you failed during a write calibration, you should recover it ONLY using write calibration. Trying to recover a write calibration with write entire can make matters worse.

Advanced Tuner
    Im going to go back out. Reconnect the PCM, Reconnect the battery, remove radio fuse and try a write calibration
    and see what happen

You said you did a "full write" during the process, so you'll have to do a full write to recover it.

Advanced Tuner
    ok, I will try full write