Thread: 2003 Grand Prix GTP tuning for kpa above 140?

2003 Grand Prix GTP tuning for kpa above 140?

Im researching to tune a 2003 Grand Prix GTP PCM on a highly modified 3800 Series II engine. Since I havent gotten the car yet I decided to pull down some tunes form the HPT repo to see what settings I have available to me. I see in the Primary VE vs RPM vs MAP that it only goes to 140kpa. Thats not much boost at all. The engine thats coming to me used to run around 190kpa in another car with a Haltech.

What are people doing with HPT to accommodate above 140kpa? Am I missing something obvious here?

Tuner
    Zzperformamce has a 2 bar sensor for the 3800 plat form. I was woundring if there is a SD for the 3800.

3800's are purely MAF based, they don't even use the VE while in boost at all. Nearly nobody runs speed density because the VE tables do not work like that. They upgrade the MAF sensor to a larger unit so they do not max out at 11,500hz on the maf scale.

They are so easy to tune with a MAF sensor anyway, I owned one for 5 years.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    3800's are purely MAF based, they don't even use the VE while in boost at all. Nearly nobody runs speed density because the VE tables do not work like that. They upgrade the MAF sensor to a larger unit so they do not max out at 11,500hz on the maf scale.

They are so easy to tune with a MAF sensor anyway, I owned one for 5 years.
    Thank you, that helps alot. So its complete MAF tuning. Its not like an LS engine where Id be tuning VE first, then MAF. Sounds simple!

Yup, basically.

I've never even adjusted the VE table before but I also never did a cam swap. It could help with transition tuning, because it will kinda use the VE table at lower rpm, but once you are in boost the is already VE maxxed out and it uses the MAF to figure out fueling.

Depending on mods done, just setting up basic things like injector data and getting it to run right is kinda all there is too it. Then run whatever AFR you want and work with the timing.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Just hope the car your doing mass air flow sensor doesn't go bad, cause the last sensor left after mass. Well. To be on the safe side contact Zzerformance or Intence racing and see what they say about what you are going to do on the high mod 3800 plat form. Zzperformance and Intence racing both will have the true answer to your question. Some people do the VE and others Don't.

ZZP is the last person I'd ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    ZZP is the last person I'd ask for help.
    +1, and Intense is no better. A customer with a 2000 GTP had bad dealings with both.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Lol

Tuner
    Doesn't mean he still can't check for himself to see what they say. Plus Don't let other people bad experiences get the best of you guys, you all are batter then that.
    Last edited by 507; 02-27-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Here are the Intense & ZZP tunes from a 2000 GTP that I had to re-tune.

You can decide if they know what their doing.

Russ Kemp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    This the man question {What are people doing with HPT to accommodate above 140kpa? Am I missing something obvious here?}

I answer it and so did someone else. Now I did say don't let other people bad experience get the best of you, and it did.

Your file doesn't show anything that answer the man question. It only show you pushing rank. Chile out O.K.