Thread: Where does the tune use ambient air sensor readings?

Advanced Tuner

Where does the tune use ambient air sensor readings?

Car is a 2010 Camaro LS3 with E38 computer. I'm curious as to where in the tune the ambient air temp reading is being used? If at all? I can't seem to see anywhere in the software where it's used.

My reason for asking is that I'm wondering if I have a bad ambient sensor. I Was logging ambient air via the ecu and it seemed to not update very often, and only climb to temps that are 10-30 degrees above actual ambient and then just stay there. I can understand that the ambient temp reading a bit higher due to the hot pavement or radiator (sensor is on the front bumper). Also, the temp display on my radio seemed to be accurate and adjust often. Does anyone know if the Camaro uses the same ambient temp sensor for both the radio display and the computer reading?

Senior Tuner
    same i was trying to use ambient so i can compare to iat but every time i log ambient it just shows too high ect, my climate is correct and i thought they would use the same sensor but must not

Quote Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
    Car is a 2010 Camaro LS3 with E38 computer. I'm curious as to where in the tune the ambient air temp reading is being used? If at all? I can't seem to see anywhere in the software where it's used.

My reason for asking is that I'm wondering if I have a bad ambient sensor. I Was logging ambient air via the ecu and it seemed to not update very often, and only climb to temps that are 10-30 degrees above actual ambient and then just stay there. I can understand that the ambient temp reading a bit higher due to the hot pavement or radiator (sensor is on the front bumper). Also, the temp display on my radio seemed to be accurate and adjust often. Does anyone know if the Camaro uses the same ambient temp sensor for both the radio display and the computer reading?
    I have the same car. I don't think the ECU Ambient Air Sensor reading works. It's a fake number
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah that's kind of what I thought. It just logs funny off the ECU. The radio seems to be dead on accurate. Odd.

As long as its not used in the tune anywhere and is pulling timing or something because its reading too hot...then I won't worry about it.

Ambient temp sensor shouldn't be doing anything engine wise
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock