Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many of you experienced code P1516?

So I was messing with an E38, hit edit, add slave segment data. Saved, re-opened. There's now P1516 error parameters in engine diag-->airflow section.

Is the idea we just increase these as needed and do a write entire?

I tried the same on an E40 but there isn't an "add slave segment data" option in the edit menu. However, P2101 shows up in the same place as P1516 showed up on the E38 and basically has the same description.

So, will changing this/writing entire increase the tolerances accordingly? Then I can edit the throttle map tables..?

Probably a dumb question and I should just go try it--but I really hate dealing with reduced power errors on the side of the road if I can avoid them so I'd rather ask and see first..

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    So I was messing with an E38, hit edit, add slave segment data. Saved, re-opened. There's now P1516 error parameters in engine diag-->airflow section.

Is the idea we just increase these as needed and do a write entire?

I tried the same on an E40 but there isn't an "add slave segment data" option in the edit menu. However, P2101 shows up in the same place as P1516 showed up on the E38 and basically has the same description.

So, will changing this/writing entire increase the tolerances accordingly? Then I can edit the throttle map tables..?

Probably a dumb question and I should just go try it--but I really hate dealing with reduced power errors on the side of the road if I can avoid them so I'd rather ask and see first..
    The P2101 is different although it can keep it from going into REP - I wouldn't increase either of these above a 10 to 14 number (the P1516 or P2101 settings) - you can actually wind up with the throttle being completely uncontrollable if you do - well I put 40's in the settings just to test "it's" extremes - not sure why (perhaps the ecm see's no need to try and control it if you do) - especially on large throttle bodies where the problem is more prominent...

Not sure on the throttle map tables relation - I haven't even thought of that one?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Interesting. I'll play around with it at some point--I was hoping to be able to change the throttle maps a little bit after increasing these tolerances a few %. I've changed them before to help with the slow throttle response on some cars but after 10-15 mins of driving I'd always get REP errors and had to turn it back. I'm hoping this allows me to mess with the throttle map tables a bit... I guess we'll see
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting. I'll play around with it at some point--I was hoping to be able to change the throttle maps a little bit after increasing these tolerances a few %. I've changed them before to help with the slow throttle response on some cars but after 10-15 mins of driving I'd always get REP errors and had to turn it back. I'm hoping this allows me to mess with the throttle map tables a bit... I guess we'll see
    Anymore work on this?

Not yet, haven't driven Corvette this week. I need to drive it some before doing write entire.. hate doing those unless I know the battery is in good shape. May drive it tomorrow if it's not raining

Advanced Tuner
    Not yet, haven't driven Corvette this week. I need to drive it some before doing write entire.. hate doing those unless I know the battery is in good shape. May drive it tomorrow if it's not raining
    Haha, yeah I feel the same way about Write Entires, they make me very nervous.

I'd love the ability to change throttle maps on non-torque based PCMs. Nothing like a good, responsive accelerator

Quote Originally Posted by HackAbuse View Post
    Haha, yeah I feel the same way about Write Entires, they make me very nervous.

I'd love the ability to change throttle maps on non-torque based PCMs. Nothing like a good, responsive accelerator
    Indeed. I'll try messing with it tonight. If I really get motivated I'll break out the Schumacher power supply I used to use when working on BMW's.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    I performed this action yesterday on my customer's '13 CTSV who was getting REP during almost every tip-in condition. Set both to 40% and his issues are a thing of the past. He made 8 passes at the drag strip without issue last night

Tuner in Training
    I am getting p1516, as well as p0106 and p2101.

Quote Originally Posted by HackAbuse View Post
    I performed this action yesterday on my customer's '13 CTSV who was getting REP during almost every tip-in condition. Set both to 40% and his issues are a thing of the past. He made 8 passes at the drag strip without issue last night

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I'm posting an update on this just to more or less give people insight and possibly hope... First and foremost - Thank You HPTuners for adding these well needed TB parameters - these will always be needed...

Long story short as we all know or possibly the people with this problem have experienced - all this does is get rid of the REP - still won't do anything for the actual problem - IN FACT if you over shoot the test percentages such as the P2101 code - it can actually make the problem much worse (wouldn't recommend changing this to anything higher than 8 or 9 percent on the plus / negative settings)... AS LONG AS the actual problem is airflow across the throttle blade turning it into an airplane wing resulting in the stock TB motor being unable to maintain enough torque to hold the plate in "it's" commanded position - Nick Williams currently is working on a fix... He actually has two fixes and as soon as things become more readily available, his TB's in general shouldn't ever have a problem with this ever again...

The man happened to be at the half mile runs this last weekend with his prototype - we tested it on our 108TB that was having all sorts of fits with the plate opening and closing on it's own - problem immediately gone

I think a couple of other shops on here may have all ready tested his fix as well - with possibly a 100% fix rate so far? Thank You Nick for getting this sorted out - and in multiple ways - Thank You HPTuners for allowing us access to the necessary tables to deal with this...
    Have you heard if Nick Williams is offering the mod to current NW 102mm owners with the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by iom2010camaro2ssrs View Post
    Have you heard if Nick Williams is offering the mod to current NW 102mm owners with the problem?
    I'm wondering the same thing. I have a customer with an NW102 throwing these codes and REP even after changing the p2101/p1516 parameters.

Tuning Addict
    You'll both have to give Nick a call. I know he's got just the motor assembly parts available. Not sure what he's going to charge for them, but they do fix about 100% of the root cause of the problem...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Do you have to do a write entire for these P1516 modifications to take place? Im having an issue on an e38 boosted truck that will run fine for a period of time then it goes into REP randomly. I have added the slave segment and did a write entire with the slave segment but am wondering if it takes a write entire for the p1516 +- calibration. I can not get the truck to stay out of REP i have checked wiring two different throttle bodies. Any help would be great.
    2007 CHEVY ECSB 5.3L with EPS 224/230, .609/.610 lift on a 111+2 LSA. Pacestter LTs with full true dual exhaust, CAI, CIRCLE D 3600 stall, 4.10s with tru tracs.

Write entire is needed when you make changes to P1516 thresholds. If your truck is in REP but there is no code set then it's a different issue and adjusting the thresholds will likely not help.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    Write entire is needed when you make changes to P1516 thresholds. If your truck is in REP but there is no code set then it's a different issue and adjusting the thresholds will likely not help.
    Most of the time it throws the code p1516,p2101 and p2109 when it does it. I can drive the truck for an hour and it be fine then all of sudden it will go into REP. I'm running the COS for the 2bar SD also which I thought might have been giving me the trouble bc I never experienced this problem before doing the COS. Also what is a good starting point for the p1516 threshold? It's currently set at 8% for both positive and negative
    2007 CHEVY ECSB 5.3L with EPS 224/230, .609/.610 lift on a 111+2 LSA. Pacestter LTs with full true dual exhaust, CAI, CIRCLE D 3600 stall, 4.10s with tru tracs.

Advanced Tuner
    Just to bump this, I have the same issues with an 04 P59 computer. This 1516 is really annoying, hopefully something can be found for a work around on GEN 3's

04 Sierra Denali,370,S485B, Built 4L80E, 3barOLSD, E85

well i exhausted every option with changing TB and Pedal assembly with new plugs on each and also changing grounds with no luck. Ended up being a bad ECM which fried the TAC module in the ECM. Changed the ECm and havent had a problem yet with the P1516.

Advanced Tuner
    My ls2 throttlebody works fine, but anytime I try to run something larger it goes into rep as soon as it sees the throttlebody blade flutter at wide open.

High rpm, high boost

04 Sierra Denali,370,S485B, Built 4L80E, 3barOLSD, E85

I ran in to a swap car the other day OS was an 2009 G8 GT E38, added the segment and the 1516 parameters don't show up at all. works fine on other files I have? the car was not going in to REP at the time but I would like to have a fix if it ever comes back for this problem.
    99' SS LSR 388 twin ETR billet 76s, glide, etc
    06' C6 Z06 885rwhp/796rwtq [email protected] E85 940/840
    07' TBSS Turbocharged 6 psi 525/505
    16' C7Z A8 Stock blower slow street car 815 RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Newtech View Post
    I ran in to a swap car the other day OS was an 2009 G8 GT E38, added the segment and the 1516 parameters don't show up at all. works fine on other files I have? the car was not going in to REP at the time but I would like to have a fix if it ever comes back for this problem.
    I had the same issue on a 09 E38 OS also. I tried a bunch of other files 07 Escalade and 13 ZL1 and I can never see it.... Am I blind? After Edit --> Add Slave and close and re open, it should appear under Engine Diag, yes?

Can someone please post up a v3.2+ read file that works for them to make sure I'm not mental. I am trying to solve a P1516 issue on an 09 E38 with following OS 12628990 since swapping ECM (same part number) (new ECM was written by MDI with latest cal from GM). Car has standard throttle body and no power adders, and has an intermittent P1516 that appears to be getting worse. Tried a new throttle body (brand new) for stamps. I may end up going back to the original ECU unless someone can give me an idea. I am yet to expand the P1516 thresholds because they never appear. I don't have the file on this computer. I am wondering if the OS needs defining by Support.

In any case, can someone please attach a file or screenshot of the P1516 thresholds location to make sure I am not just blind. Thanks.