Thread: 5.3 vortex turbo base map adjustment for altitude

Potential Tuner

5.3 vortex turbo base map adjustment for altitude

Hi,
    I just ordered HP Tuners Pro and and reading up on my options to proceed once its hear. My setup is a gen 3 vortex 5.3 with a 76mm turbo, 80lb injectors, LS1 intake, cam etc...(in a 1972 c10) I got a base map from JSRacing who has the exact same setup for the most part and the tune has all the injector info and is an open loop SD tune. My question is the tune was done in PA which has a significantly lower altitude compared to Utah which is my location, so could i just change the entire primary VE table in by leaning it out in % increments until i got a idling. My logic is higher elevation less air, all the other fine adjustment on the other tables would be close and i could start tuning from there? The truck will start up and idle for a second or two and then idle down and die. If i try to give it throttle it dies immediately. Thanks

I don't beleive you would want to chabge the whole table. An open loop SD tune is injecting fuel based on MAP/RPM. Your MAP tells you actual manifold pressure already so there's no need to lean out the VE to try to compensate. You really need a wideband with that setup, I would feel a whole lot better leaning out the entire VE if I actually saw the wideband reading rich.

If you post your tune and a log there's guys on here that are great at picking up potential issues especially with your injector data.
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

Where are you in Utah? I would also get a wideband hooked up and make adjustments from there, I am in Logan, i might be able to help if you need

Potential Tuner
    98vortecSilverado got it thanks, i do have a wideband i'm planning on tuning with (innovate i believe), i am just curious how to start due to the fact that it only idles for a few seconds and i may not to get any readings. 1992-25th I'm in Hooper, its just west of ogden. I will probably just make some adjustments on the accessory tables then with the cold starting. So wouldn't elevation affect a tune based on the lower O2 at higher elevations, not just taking into account the actual intake pressure that the MAP is reading? Thanks again

I don't have any experience running open loop SD in changing altitudes. I was under the impression it would be a fairly minor difference in oxygen level somewhat similar to a temperature/humidity change like we all have to put up with. Been wrong before...

I may have sounded overly strict in my other post, I dont think you'll hurt anything leaning it out (or richening it up, whatever it needs) just to get it to stay running at idle. Once you get it to stay running you should be able to go by your wide band then.
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks i will see what i can figure out making some changes...