Thread: 2.8 diesel Colorado maf maxed boost drops

2.8 diesel Colorado maf maxed boost drops

Help please, maf maxed at 2700rpm and 217g/sec and boost drops off once maxed with increasing revs. How do we calibrate/scale maf and will this help? I can only understand use of maf for Eng load and airflow as everything else is pressure/volume based tables. Aftermarket intercooler fitted but Std air box and piping to turbo. Can anyone help?

Tuner
    Couple of quick q's for ya. Once you max maf, does fuel delivery mm3 drop off? How much extra pulse/rail/boost are you running for it to do this at 2700rpm? Could maf be deleted and run map only? Is there a scaler for maf so that you could skew voltage some? I don't have a file, so I can't picture what you're dealing with

Sorry bud didn't see this post
    I have set boost to 300kpa as that's max map can read. After a lot of fine tuning to get rid of the crazy boost spike, From 1900rpm to 2700 it holds boost but at 2700 maf max at 201.7g/sec as per max in maf/freq table. as revs increase boost drops. I can see no change in turbo actuator position no matter what I set it to and no change to boost no matter what I set it to either. So from that I think the extra airflow into engine as revs increase is what causes the boost to drop and the maxed maf stops turbo responding and maintaining desired boost. Fuel doesn't change. It keeps adding fuel as per tables. So I can see fuel has nothing to do with maf. As there is no vacuum I don't think deleting maf is an option as all load references are based off maf g/sec calculations. There's all the auto shift and egr that would run off the maf as well id say. I'm looking to see if I can get maf table extended maybe but will have a play anyway to see what happens. I haven't looked but maybe there is an engine displacement I might be able to play with as well? Away for the weekend so I'll go again Monday see what I find.

Tuner
    Haven't got any logs have you mate?

Not hp logs as the scan side doesn't work still with the Colorado, only snap on scan tool data log.

Tuner
    Just did some sums on the boost. I reckon for a turbo that small, 300kpa would be running it on the ragged edge of efficiency. Are you watching egts while doing a wot run? If you can make that power using less boost without excessive egts, then do that. That'll take some strain off the turbo and intercooler. It'll be running cooler iat's with lower boost for a denser intake charge, and also won't max the maf quite so soon in the rev range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogga View Post
    Not hp logs as the scan side doesn't work still with the Colorado, only snap on scan tool data log.
    Which year are you trying to log?

2015 Holden Colorado. Egt is good post turbo I found 26psi no drama with maf and stayed consistent boost entire rev range, was only once I up to max boost that maf maxed and boost dropped off to 23psi at 3600rpm.

Are you using 3.0 to scan?

Well I'll check but when I installed 3.0 it deleted old beta version

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    Are you using 3.0 to scan?
    Yes using 3.0.5

was only once I up to max boost that maf maxed and boost dropped off to 23psi at 3600rpm.
    Have you had any luck resolving this?

I'll post a file for bill see if he can extend the maf table, did a 2012 Colorado and much different. Easier to tune and maf was voltage table. Got same power and maf wasn't close to max

I'll post a file for bill see if he can extend the maf table, did a 2012 Colorado and much different. Easier to tune and maf was voltage table. Got same power and maf wasn't close to max
    Any more progress?

Tuner in Training
    Hi All,
    I am new to HP Tuners, just purchased my kit today to start tuning my 2012 Rg Colorado. I will be following this thread with interest, but is there a specific area on the forum for these ECU's. I am happy to share my experiences but want to make sure I put them in the right place. Thanks.

Craig
    SE Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by crakrz View Post
    Hi All,
    I am new to HP Tuners, just purchased my kit today to start tuning my 2012 Rg Colorado. I will be following this thread with interest, but is there a specific area on the forum for these ECU's. I am happy to share my experiences but want to make sure I put them in the right place. Thanks.

Craig
    SE Melbourne
    Here seems like a good place, please share your experiences!

Tuner in Training
    Hi IXR08,

My RG Colorado is a 2012 model, LTZ 5spd manual. I started the mods as soon as left the showroom. Blocked EGR, bigger intercooler, 3" stainless exhaust, cat delete, open CCV, 2" lift, EGT and boost gauges. I have always tuned my own vehicles myself, but when I purchased the vehicle brand new in 2012, the only way to tune the Bosch EDC16C39 ECU's was via BDM tools etc etc. I wasn't going to spend that many bucks on getting all the gear just for one vehicle so I had it custom tuned by Chris @ Crispmods. Even though I had no control over the tuning, I was very impressed with the results. Went from 140 rwhp to 190 rwhp, and I have been driving happily ever since. When I found that HP were supporting the Bosch ECU's, I got on board immediately.

I was able to read the modified tune from the ecu to see what had been changed from stock, and I was very pleased to see that Chris knew what he was doing. Seen some horrible tune files from highly popular tuning shops in Aus where the tuner had no idea of what tables they were modifying. Just adding and multiplying this and that and hoping for the best.

I had my stock bin on file to compare against. I have since added a bit more fuel and a couple of pounds boost in the top areas (high load) of the tables with great results. I started off a little too aggressive and I was getting the clutch to slip so I backed it off a bit. I was also able to lower the boost back down to stock levels in the low load areas so that the drive pressures on the turbo are nice and low while cruising on the freeway. Since fitting the 3" exhaust years ago, I always hated the terrible hiss from the VGT at idle. Got rid of that, thank God. Sounded like an air compressor. Sounds nice and deep now.

Overall, I have had a couple of weeks to log and tune, and I am a very happy customer. These engines are so punchy for only 2.8 litres.

Craig
    Last edited by crakrz; 05-10-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Quote Originally Posted by crakrz View Post
    Hi IXR08,

My RG Colorado is a 2012 model, LTZ 5spd manual. I started the mods as soon as left the showroom. Blocked EGR, bigger intercooler, 3" stainless exhaust, cat delete, open CCV, 2" lift, EGT and boost gauges. I have always tuned my own vehicles myself, but when I purchased the vehicle brand new in 2012, the only way to tune the Bosch EDC16C39 ECU's was via BDM tools etc etc. I wasn't going to spend that many bucks on getting all the gear just for one vehicle so I had it custom tuned by Chris @ Crispmods. Even though I had no control over the tuning, I was very impressed with the results. Went from 140 rwhp to 190 rwhp, and I have been driving happily ever since. When I found that HP were supporting the Bosch ECU's, I got on board immediately.

I was able to read the modified from the ecu to see what had been changed from stock, and I was very pleased to see that Chris knew what he was doing. Seen some horrible tune files from highly popular tuning shops in Aus where the tuner had no idea of what tables they were modifying. Just adding and multiplying this and that and hoping for the best.

I had my stock bin on file to compare against. I have since added a bit more fuel and a couple of pounds boost in the top areas (high load) of the tables with great results. I started off a little too aggressive and I was getting the clutch to slip so I backed it off a bit. I was also able to lower the boost back down to stock levels in the low load areas so that the drive pressures on the turbo are nice and low while cruising on the freeway. Since fitting the 3" exhaust years ago, I always hated the terrible hiss from the VGT at idle. Got rid of that, thank God. Sounded like an air compressor. Sounds nice and deep now.

Overall, I have had a couple of weeks to log and tune, and I am a very happy customer. These engines are so punchy for only 2.8 litres.

Craig

Glad to hear Craig, enjoy.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogga View Post
    Many local tuners talked about deleting the MAF and let the engine run purely on MAP table. I dont know how viable is this option... Did you finally come up with an approach to overcome this? Do you think its possible to just increase the intake pipe where the MAF sits just slightly to fool the MAF sensor that less air is coming in?