Thread: 2014/2015 "Hybrid" ECU HPTuner problems

Tuner in Training

2014/2015 "Hybrid" ECU HPTuner problems

Read ECU successfully (hp tuner version before 2.5 BETA) and it showed VIN/OS error unable to apply credits. Sent ECU to tuner to disable VATS for the swap.

Once the ECU was revived, truck ran. Updated to to 2.5 Beta and was able to read the ECU, and that was also the version the tuner was using.

Reason its a hybrid ECU is it was sent to the tuner for them to erase VATS to start with and then once running, I would use my HPTuners to tweak little stuff when needed for my buddy's convenience such as shift points and gear changes. Long story short, it was needed to relash the ecu with a 2014 file to delete vats from the 2015 ECU. ECU returned, truck runs.

Installed version 3.0 and read the vehicle successfully, when prompted to apply credits, it said VIN/OS error. Uninstalled 3.0 and installed 2.5 Beta. Read the ECU successfully and was able to enter the credits screen. Successfully applied 2 credits to the ECU. Attempts at flashing the ECU were unsuccessful as it kept failing at boot loader 10.2% and 37.5% timed out. Quick search stated battery charge level was the issue. The battery is a NEW Optima yellow top. Chits and giggles applied a trickle charger and same thing. Changed the settings on the trickle charger to "jumpstart or start" and tried a compete write and got to 57.x %, tried it again and was successful. Only change to the original "read" file was fans from PWM to Discrete

I am now in VCM scanner and want to look around and seems like absolutely nothing is there, go to DTC, and its just blank information. Controls and Special Functions is absolutely blank, just like DTC. It says its connected to the vehicle. Go to Start Scan and nothing starts logging.. also the stop button is not illuminated, only the Start button. I have treid KOEO and KOEO w/no difference... any help? My guess is I dunno.. sucks that I am helping him, and I couldn't give him anything for the 100$ in credits other than a few curse words.

If I go back and read ECU, I get an error ... attached is a screenshot of the emptiness. Truck still starts and runs like before. Key cycle, disconnect and reconnect interface, same result. Now I am unable to flash the ECU, write entire or calibration only. It keeps failing at bootloader... even with a perfect battery, trickle charger installed, (trickle charger removed) and on a vehicle with jumper cables. (battery is not a problem. Radio OFF, No accessories on except the Dakota Digital gauges.

Gonna give this thread a few days and if nothing comes from it, if not, shoot an email directly to support and lastly, box the ECU back up and send it to the tuner to see if it does the same thing

I am sure I have posted everything I have tried, thanks in advance for reading my situation and hopefully someone has a solution.
    thanks!

attached is the screenshot after clicking the read vehicle (next to the write button) and clicking either "Gather Info" or "Read"

hptuners error.png

Tuner in Training
    Are your Dakota Digital gauges CAN Data gauges? If so, are they plugged in while you are trying to read/write to the vehicle? I've seen issues where the gauges cause interference on the CAN data stream and prohibit HP tuners and/or other tuning software from working properly.

Tuner in Training
    I didn't even consider disconnecting them, I will give that a try and report back. Thanks for the tip

Tuner in Training
    update:
    after disconnecting it from the can lines, HPTuners operated properly. Editor worked flawlessly read/write and the ecu functions in scanner worked. Went ahead and did a write calibration and ok. Reconnected gauges and same error... weird how it read the ecu no problems the 1st dozen times, same for ecu functions... but wanted to update the thread for the next guy

thanks relicdew!

gonna do some more searching on how to make the ecu control a regular on off fan with a relay. apparently the document for hp tuners that says discrete was the way.. that didn't work.. so gonna search more