Thread: Questions about the best tune for 99 Silverado 4.8

Questions about the best tune for 99 Silverado 4.8

Hey just bought hp tuner pro and looking to tune my 1999 Silverado. I took out cats and added long tube headers and exhaust. Not sure really where to start but it kinda looks like I would disable torque management lean out fuel table and do something w the power enhancement I'm a way better wrench than I am w computers but it's time to learn I guess. I currently live at 5000 feet and I am wondering if someone would be willing to help

Advanced Tuner
    I am also pretty new to this, but have been playing for about a year with positive results... The best thing for me was finiding a good tuning guide and starting with tuning the VE table. That alows you to tell the computer exactly how your engine is running in the environment you use it in. Not just how the manufacturer expects it to run well for everyone...

http://gmtune.ru/hptuners-tuning-guide

This has a lot of information to get you started. Then just keep reading and you will find most of the questions you have for that truck have already been answered. The benefit of going into well charted territory.

If you run into more specific questions this site has a lot of good people that offer tons of help.

Potential Tuner
    I have a 01 4.8 , haven't done to much on the engine side but have trans tune worked out good. If you are running a 4l60e be easy on removing tm, those trans are very week stock, I took out 50 percent on mine to stay little safe and it seems ok to me . just my 2 cents.

Advanced Tuner
    I have an 02 4.8 and still blew up three trannys with a stock tune and full TM, but then again, that's why I bought HPTuners in the first place, I needed to do a segment swap for the 4l80

Quote Originally Posted by Markmx6 View Post

Hey thanks so much for getting me started ! So new to this I feel like I'm computer illiterate! Lot of stuff to know but I am going to try I followed instructions on link you sent me . I got to part where you copy paste add lftf and stft to ve table . It says to save and flash pcm. When I try to flash it won't complete it for some reason. Any ideas as to why would be so helpful Thank u for getting me started as I bought this devise on an act of faith .

http://gmtune.ru/hptuners-tuning-guide

This has a lot of information to get you started. Then just keep reading and you will find most of the questions you have for that truck have already been answered. The benefit of going into well charted territory.

If you run into more specific questions this site has a lot of good people that offer tons of help.
    Last edited by mainstreetbarber; 02-15-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    If you have still have the scanner "connected" to the MPVI it won't let you flash with the editor

It can only connect to the scanner or the editor one at a time. Or just to be sure save your log and close the scanner

I think most of us feel computer illiterate when we start

My first attempt with my truck, I went out to the truck just to do a "read" and it just sat there and eventually gave me an error message. SO I figured something was wrong (was hoping the ECU wasn't tunerlocked before I got it.) Went to start the truck and it would crank, belch out one or two exhaust pulses and die. My heart sank and I almost crapped my pants figuring I really screwed something up. I disconnected everything and disconnected the battery to the truck for a bit. When I hooked the battery back up it did run, but I still didn't have a "read" A couple more attempts with similar results and no information on the forum that I could find. Finally found that my problem was opening the scanner from a shortcut I had put on the desktop. I opened the program from the originally installed location and everything was fine.

Point being, your not the first, but it gets better and there is a ton of information here to help people like you and I get some serious improvements to our vehicles
    Last edited by Markmx6; 02-16-2016 at 12:31 AM.