Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: idle issues

idle issues

new cam and not much tuning exp, take look n see what i can do to help issue
    79 ford 5.3 80e idle changes 1 no ve.hpt
    79 ford idle.hpl
    79 ford idle 2.hpl
    Last edited by prostreet1967; 02-08-2016 at 12:19 AM.

Anyone?

any idle configs for 3.0

noticed timing jumps around alot

cant figure out how to get pids in graph or chart but wb shows 11.1 at idle.

Screenshot (92).png
    Screenshot (93).png
    Screenshot (94).png
    Screenshot (95).png
    got truck to idle had to increase base running air flow quite a bit to get to idle having trouble making afr corrections. screenshots of ve before n afrer and still have 12.0 afr

Advanced Tuner
    Not on my laptop now but, I'll look at the tune later. Need some more info on the modifications. What ECU are you running?
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

5.3 4l80e has JFR 218 turbo cam. he decided not to go turbo after all.
    initally truck would start n die, got base running air flow table adjusted to get it to idle in park and in gear. afr was 10.9-11.3 logged some at idle and multiplied by half of afr error. logged some more n still had error of 20% i multiplied again not by half and still have error of 15-20% with 12.1 afr

something else i noticed was off idle 2000 rpm or so this thing has 50? of timing. seems higher than any other stock tune ive ran across

Advanced Tuner
    Alright, after looking at your tune and noticing your fuel trims, the first thing you need to follow is the Speed Density tuning how-to in the help file here--> http://www.hptuners.com/help/ Start over with a stock tune. If all it has is a cam and supporting mods, that cam should be very easy to get idling. My 5.3 has a 228/232 109 and it is idling like a champ after just getting the fuel right, tuning airflow and making sure my spark tables are the same in all the idle spark tables. Then perform the following:

This info below is from this link, I just edited it and added a few things that helped me.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...e-tuning/page3

For better start ups:
    “Frictional Tables” Stock
    “Start Up Airflow Initial” add ~2 g/sec airflow
    “Startup Airflow Delay” add 100 camshaft revs

Idle Tuning:
    1.”Adaptive Idle Airflow” Max and min to 0.
    2.”ST Adapt Airflow Max” all cells to 0.
    3. With VCM controls, erase fuel trims and adjust rpm until it idles, then adjust timing until you see good MAP (more vacuum). You may need to command a high idle(1000+) prior to adjusting timing , find a good balance between RPM and timing advance (record your RPM and Timing). There will come a point at which it does not get much better, and that is a pretty good way to get into a sweet spot. If you get some idle surge, chances are you may have too much timing. A lot of cams are happy anywhere between 22* and 34*.
    4. When you get the vehicle to idle correctly via step 3, log AFR error for a minute or so.
    5. “Main VE” Get your idle fueling close to 14.5-14.7 (adjust via AFR error). Multiply by %. You will most likely have to do this again after adjusting your airflow and timing but, this will be close enough before fine tuning when you start your VE Table.
    6.”Idle Spark Advance” Utilize the timing figure found in step 3 and insert into these tables. Insert in to the 0-max idle rpm (cell above your idle found in step 3) and .08-.36 cells. Ensure Idle Spark tables transition into the High/Low octane tables so there is no weird jumps between Idle and Drive.
    7. “Main Spark Advance” Copy the cells changed in the “Idle Spark Advance” to the same cells in the High Octane and Low Octane tables.
    7. “Base Running Airflow” RAF- Utilize Idle STIT vs. ECT.table. Log then copy and multiply by %, (Negative numbers = too much airflow).
    8. Once you have the Base Running Airflow set correctly, put the MAX values back to stock and put the Min values to -.5 g/sec or less. The STIT (idle airflow trims) will still adjust things appropriately but it will not store a value less than -.5 g/sec

Worst Case:
    “Adaptive Idle tables” Take out of the picture some.....and even sometime just disabling it completely by changing the update error time to its max value.
    “IAC steps vs Effective area table” lower the values slightly so that it slows the movement of the IAC some...not too much as IAC can be really needed. Unfortunately this isn’t the real solution but there is no way to change the IAC motor to respond in smaller values.
    “Throttle Cracker” MPH to a higher disable value so it doesn’t interfere.
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Advanced Tuner
    Also, I notice you are logging your idle trims in Lb/minute. Your RAF table is in LB/hour. Make sure the units you are logging are the same units you need for the table being adjusted
    Last edited by mcfarlnd; 02-22-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

truck isnt turbo, he changed his mind mid build.
    and it idles great now. tried adjusting ve several times with no noticeable change.
    Last edited by prostreet1967; 02-22-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by prostreet1967 View Post
    truck isnt turbo, he changed his mind mid build.
    and it idles great now. tried adjusting ve several times with no noticeable change.
    I know it is not turbo, you stated that in the first post. You still tune in SD then switch back to closed loop after your VE and MAF table are done......
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

ok didnt know if u seen that or not.
    as far as getting main ve dialed in am i doing it right by pulling so much fuel with so little change?
    Last edited by prostreet1967; 02-22-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Don't understand what u mean by Idle trims? I adjusted Base running air flow in gs.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by prostreet1967 View Post
    Don't understand what u mean by Idle trims? I adjusted Base running air flow in gs.
    Read the link I posted and the help file. It is like a fuel trim. LTIT and STIT
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Ok, I have my tune set up for sd will try n get some logging done. Haven't been looking at those because I don't have 02 in bank 1 since I replaced it wit has wideband

Do the LTIT STIT work together with Base running air flow?