Thread: 98 Cpu with 3 bar map

Potential Tuner

98 Cpu with 3 bar map

I know the 98 cpu is a odd ball, will it handle a 3 bar SD tune?

Looks like the 2 bar SD is the only custom OS available for a 98 corvette or camaro.
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

Potential Tuner
    Yea I see its unavailable on the OS tab. that's crappy iam limited on boost.

you can re-pin and put 99-02 pcm in it and have 3 bar and faster processor

Potential Tuner
    ^ doesn't that require harness and sensor changes and bunch of stuff?

Don't know for sure on the cars, but I know on my old truck all it involved was repinning the ecm connectors. I actually went from four connecters to 2 with the 0411 swap, so it required every wire to be moved over to the correct place on the 0411 connector.

You should only need harness and sensors changes if you would be swapping in a non gen III engine.

a 1220411 pcm swap only requires 4 wires run to the transmission in most all cases. i did my swap in less than 2 hours. Lextech has the pinout sheets to make it very easy.

Potential Tuner
    My car is a T56 car, so the transmission is not the issue. have read a few threads about the swap. some say it requires just the ecm some say the fuel gauge sender needs to be changed and a few other things. my goal is 20psi so want the tuner to be able to tune it the best possiable.

^ doesn't that require harness and sensor changes and bunch of stuff?
    sensors are all the same - shouldn't have to change any of them.

even the PCM connectors are even the same and can be re-used on the 98 F-body stuff - just have to re-pin for the newer PCM (move the wires in the PCM connectors)

Potential Tuner
    Alright so what is the best ecm to buy then, does it need to be for a f body? iam thining 12200411 is the correct item.

Technically any 12200411 would work, you would just have to get the correct os loaded. Unless you have a way to do that for free, you're probably better off getting one with the correct os for your car (an f body if thats what you've got) , then all you need to do is use 2 credits to license it and you're good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-2002-...FWHTDK&vxp=mtr

This is one for a camaro, if you're an ebay fan.

this is the best^ it doesn't have to come from an f-body but it will cost you extra credits if it doesn't (you will need to read and license - then license an f-body file and write entire because there are pin-out differences between operating systems)

there is also a PCM that ends with 896 I think will work also? you will need someone else to confirm that though. I know the 411 will work

Potential Tuner
    should I have them load my VIN number on to it?

From what I understand HPTuners needs to see a "valid" vin/os match to be able. That makes it sound like you might need a 99 - 02 vin in your PCM for HPTuners to accept it.

Then if you need to have the correct vin for emissions (I don't) you can use some other software to change the vin when you're done tuning. I have heard efi live can do that without licensing, but have no experience.

Probably I should just shut up.. 68camaro knows everything you need to know

Potential Tuner
    yea I don't need anything for emissions in Nebraska.

Potential Tuner
    anybody know if I should have them load the VIN?

Probably I should just shut up.. 68camaro knows everything you need to know
    ... hardly - lol me still gots much learning to do!

as long as emissions are not an issue don't worry about the VIN matching - just turn VATS off
    hope that helps!

There are other options besides the 0411 . I just grabbed one from a 04 van ser# 6243 . I guess its allot quicker than the 0411 . The wiring is the exact same .
    Im not sure what motor you have from 98 but there are other options besides the 0411.
    And yes Email PM lextech he will give you a pin out. He is very hepfull.