Thread: 3.0 freezing up.

3.0 freezing up.

When I'm scanning, if I hit the stop scanning button the scanner freezes. It never unfreezes and I have to close the program losing all my scan data.
    I have version 3.0.7
    Running on a dedicated netbook with Windows 7.
    The vehicle being scanned is a 2001 c5 z06 with 2 bar OS.
    20160204_113133.jpg
    2001 Z06
    JCR fabbed Twin Turbo

Can you duplicate the problem?

Does it happen if you close the chart and only the graph is open?
    Does it happen if you close the graph and only the chart is open?
    Does it happen if you close both?
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Give me about an hour and I'll have those answers Keith.
    2001 Z06
    JCR fabbed Twin Turbo

I haven't been able to replicate it. Tried out those combos with the scanner and no issue.
    2001 Z06
    JCR fabbed Twin Turbo

Advanced Tuner
    @Keith - are there any application-level log files that can help diagnose this issue - it seems to be a repeated problem that is being reported. I haven't installed 3.0 yet (don't want to lose access to 2.4), but was just wondering if you guys write to any application-level logs that may be able to help pinpoint the cause of this issue.

log can't finish writing if the app freezes, that's the problem.

We've only had a couple reported cases. There are many more bugs reported with 2.24 than their are 3.0. 3.0 is already more stable than 2.24 was.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

This was a problem I had with freezing with 2.25... I made it go away by removing one chart?... I thought it was one PID. Later removed all charts, then re-added all of them including the single one that made it freeze randomly and the problem went away. However, it's been awhile, so I'll have to start playing with my bench ECU again... If I get any freezing on the bench I'll include it here. The bench setup is easy.. set it up and walk away.

So if your having freezing up, remove all of the charts first... if it locks up again, remove all of your Channels to see if defaults run ok, then start re-adding blocks at a time. That's what I did.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ghlight=freeze
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Advanced Tuner
    I was thinking that what is logged right before it freezes might provide some clues as to the cause of the freezing issue, that's all.

Regarding the number of bugs - there may be more *known* bugs with 2.24, but that's just becuase 3.0 is so new. :-) As with any new product, there are many bugs that just haven't been identified yet. The severity of the bugs is also an important factor - the scanner hanging is a pretty severe issue. I have limited opportunites to log data, so it's very important that the logged data is usable.

Also, there are some important features missing from 3.0 - for example, log marking, which is something that I use every time I log. At least it was missing - maybe it's been added already - like I said, I can't tell becuase I can't even install 3.0. I'm just not willing to lose access to 2.24 yet - even if there really are more bugs in 2.24, they don't affect me - I have no issues with 2.24. I need to be able to use both at the same time until I'm more comfortable with 3.0. Since I have no particular issues with 2.24, I have no reason to "sink or swim" with 3.0 - it just doesn't make sense for me to do so since 2.24 works perfectly for my uses of the product (and I actually prefer the floating window interface of the old scanner). Yes, I know the new scanner is faster - but again, 2.24 works fine for me - no issues with scanning speed.

I would love to start getting used to 3.0, but I can't do that until it can co-exist with 2.24. Hopefully, a version of 2.24 that can co-exist is almost ready! :-)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post

I would love to start getting used to 3.0, but I can't do that until it can co-exist with 2.24. Hopefully, a version of 2.24 that can co-exist is almost ready! :-)
    you just re-name the VCM Suite folder prior to install 3.0 and it will not overwrite. You can move the whole folder to the desktop, to be sure, and then drag it back after the install. Several different methods have been outline over the past couple of days. Just have to look around.
    Jaime

Advanced Tuner
    Are you running both 2.24 and 3.0 simultaneously? I have read a few users that did what you are referring to, but then they came back to say that they had issues after doing it, so I was assuming that there were some issues running both at the same time. If I remember correctly, 2.24 didn't actually work right after moving it and then installing 3.0.

Senior Tuner
    I haven't tried to use them at the same time, but they both open and seem to function OK. I really only have 2.24, at this point, for a backup and reference. I have been using 2.25/3.0 almost exclusively for the past couple of months.
    Jaime

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry - I didn't actually mean that you use both at the same time, but just that you can succesfully run either one while both are installed at the same time. I probably didn't word that very well in my inital post! :-)

Others who have tried this had issues actually using 2.24 after doing it - they too though it worked until they tried to read/write a vehicle with 2.24.

So, has anyone been able to sucessfuly *use* 2.24 (for reading/writing) after moving the 2.24 installation and then installing 3.0? Since people were saying that they had issues, I assumed it may have been related to Windows registry keys or something along those lines...

Since I don't really need any of the new functionality in 3.0, I just want to make sure I can use 2.24 until certain features get added to 3.0 (such as log marking!) and I get more comfortable with it. With my tuning device (10" screen), I just can't get the same amount of information on the scanner screen at the same time in 3.0, so to me, it actually takes away functionality instead of adding it (again, for my uses). I'm really hoping that log marking and a dual-column "channel" window gets added! I'm sure the log marking will, but I really miss the floating windows and the dual-column channel display. I could live without the floating windows if I could ad least see more channels on the screen without scrolling.