Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0300 Wideband with direct CAN integration W/ VCMScanner. Need beta testers.

I saw that.. thinking about ordering one actually. Guess I could stuff the gauge behind the glovebox or something. Or maybe I'll get a pod and look more like the cool kids.

(though honestly I hate the display on AEM gauges, looks cheap)

I'm working with dash logic to try to put the wideband data on the DIC/HUD. You can do it now with analog inputs but would be nice to not have to.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 05-27-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm working with dash logic to try to put the wideband data on the DIC/HUD.
    Do they need any info ?

The manual aem released spells out the addresses, etc. I sent them a copy of it, I'll let you know if they have any questions though. Will be really cool if it works, though I think we might need a second obd port between a wideband, dash logic and HP Tuners

Advanced Tuner
    Probably should't run 2 scanners on the same OBDII bus. Unless, one can run in passive mode.

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    I do see very smooth lines during a scan though from the 30-0300, then after I stop and view data, the line is now very spikey, almost as there is smoothing applied just for the graph while scanning. I would really like an option in HPT to smooth the line in the graph after the fact to make it look like the line during the scan.. is this possible?
    probably has to do with the length of time of your log and how long the viewable area is on the scroll bar. not sure if there is an adjustment for this or not. maybe you can slow down the refresh rate on your pid in the table although that might defeat the purpose.

The "filter" option in ms only works while scanning. Once you stop it'll go back to unfiltered and look a bit rougher. I bet that's what was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Probably should't run 2 scanners on the same OBDII bus. Unless, one can run in passive mode.
    Ah heck, what's the worst that can happen? lol

It actually worked perfect with 2.24.. I had to get HPTuners started scanning first, then connect dash logic, but it worked. With V3 I get 1-2 second spots where no data shows up in HPT, though dash logic works fine. I don't know enough about CAN protocols to know why.

Advanced Tuner
    OBDII PIDs are ( mostly) a "request/response" protocol.

So, if you have two loggers, both making requests as fast as they can, the bus gets overtaxed, and, can't keep up. For example, if an OBDII bus can handle about 1000 requests per second, and, you have two loggers, each making 800 requests per second, there is going to be significant loss and errors.

But, you can have a "passive" mode logger that just listens to the responses to the requests made by the first logger. It is limited to recording the same PIDs that are being requested by the first logger. But, it does not use up any more of the bus capacity.

Makes sense..

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    The "filter" option in ms only works while scanning. Once you stop it'll go back to unfiltered and look a bit rougher. I bet that's what was happening.
    this seems to be what's happening. But that seems backwards, or at least it seems like it would be easier to filter when scanner is not running and saving data. Any way to filter/smooth after scanning?
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Yeah, seems kind of backwards.. but it is what it is

For something that works all the time you can make a math parameter that just averages the wideband reading over 250msec or whatever (may have to mess with it). Something like [50119.238.avg(250)] is what works on mine which is a PLX setup in lambda.. you may have to change it to work for your particular setup, mess around with it and see how it does.

Then just use the math parameter in your charts or gauges or whatever. Don't use this math parameter AND the filter option unless you want it double filtered
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Now I need to return my 30-0300 to order the 30-0333!

the 30-0333 is $209+Free Shipping right now on Amazon if you're on the fence:

http://www.amazon.com/Wideband-Senso...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I actually saved $10 returning my 30-0300 and ordering this.

I might have to actually buy one now.

Advanced Tuner
    I might have to actually buy one now.
    For all the time and money well all spend on this stuff, $210 is nothing. My advice for ALL of you guys is just buy one and try it. Without actually having logged and tuned with one, all you can do is speculate. Buy one, log and tune with it and post up your findings. I think I've already posted enough of my findings. I've got a few hundred logs and tune revisions on my pair of 30-0300's now with ZERO issues and still dead on accurate and fast. Cut and paste tuning is brainless with a wideband like this. No more chasing your tail because your data is in the wrong cell. Buy one, do a simple copy/paste tune and see what happens yourself.

I could very well be wrong, but I believe this (and other CAN based Bosch 4.9) widebands will be a game changer. Only time will tell. I'd be surprised though if we don't all look back on these first AEM 30-0300 discussions and realize that this was the beginning of the end for caveman analog widebands.
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 06-09-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

I think it will be the beginning of something new, and sooner or later become common place for WB's, perhaps even other sensors as well.

I'm going to go ahead and order one--$210 is cheap, I might as well quit talking about it

My transient fueling looks bad enough with my current/slower WB, I can only imagine how bad it will look once I get this new one in

Advanced Tuner
    I think it will be the beginning of something new, and sooner or later become common place for WB's, perhaps even other sensors as well.

I'm going to go ahead and order one--$210 is cheap, I might as well quit talking about it

My transient fueling looks bad enough with my current/slower WB, I can only imagine how bad it will look once I get this new one in
    Transient fueling is a very good point. In my never-ending pursuit of the most efficient and smoothest driving 800hp car ever, I've spent my fair share modifying transient fueling! OMG talk about chasing your tail!!! It was absolutely impossible to use histogram data to work on transient fueling, even with the PLX 4.9 sensor. The only way I could do it was to actually zoom in on the chart traces and decipher what was happening BEFORE it was actually shown in the log. For those that only know how to cut and paste tune trying to dial in transient fueling with a slow or inaccurate wideband would be close to impossible.

Post up your findings once you get it in and logging. One of these days somebody is going to run one of the AEM CAN widebands AND their analog wideband so we can have some hard comparison data. Running both sensors at the same time in the same car and in the same exhaust locations would be interesting to see.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Actually I'm thinking about leaving my PLX in and just adding the AEM to the other bank. Not a perfect 1:1 comparison since it's a different bank, but my fuel trims are damn near identical and NB O2 voltages @ WOT are also nearly identical, so I think fueling between the two is quite close. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Cut and paste tuning is brainless with a wideband like this. No more chasing your tail because your data is in the wrong cell. Buy one, do a simple copy/paste tune and see what happens yourself.
    You can say this part again. I actually added some smoothing to the 30-0300 just cause I didnt like the FASTness which makes it look like static, or error in the reading but I think it's real air fuel variance. When I apply averaging to the previously logged data then it ends up looking just like my SLOW NGK data. The funny thing is the transients and any other quick changes just get pushed out (occur later) and covered up from just 100ms smoothing, so right there is proof you want as fast of the wideband as possible since whatever data your seeing with a slow WB is basically showing up too late. We almost do need time shifting on the WB channel to fix this delay with the slower WB's, or with a fast WB that I add smoothing/averaging too.

My NGK is still sitting under a pile of of garbage, cardboard, and bottle returns in my garage. I may never see it again, according to the chart, my old WB (LM-1) was much faster and I never had a problem tuning with that.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 06-09-2016 at 02:42 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Wideband is ordered!

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6