Thread: 5.3L L33 (P59) - Is it possible to use an analog A/C request?

Tuner in Training

5.3L L33 (P59) - Is it possible to use an analog A/C request?

Hello all,

I am trying to retrofit an L33 into a vehicle where the HVAC control head sends a 12V compressor request signal to the PCM.

Does the P59 PCM (Blue & Green) have the ability to accept a 12V compressor request? It is currently setup to support a serial request, and I can't find any pins that would allow the use of a 12V input for request.

I'm hoping that I'm just overlooking something. Would be nice to have compressor control through the PCM without having to add a custom controller.

Thanks,
    -B

Advanced Tuner
    The controller is capable of it in at least part #12586243. The OS from the 2004 GTO is the only one I know for sure will work with analog AC. Other OS's may as well.

Tuner in Training
    Was hoping to not flash a new OS, but it's good to know that option is available as a last report.

Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    please share your l33 p59 tune. thank you.
    1971 k3500 suburban former rural ambulance. 4" lift, 35" BFG's, 5.3 4l80 205 d70f 14bff conversion in process...
    1978 Porsche 911 Rally car. 4" lift, 28" BFG's, 5.3 conversion in process...
    1993 Porsche 911 Carrera RS LS7 conversion in process... Road Racer
    1998 Chevrolet reg cab swb oem tx edition 20" wheels, 5.3 4l80 conversion in process...

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it will, go to:
    System----A/C----Type fitted.

Use the drop down to select Analog cycling.

This was added to the truck BLUE/GREEN PCM OSs a couple of years ago.

Tuner in Training
    Good to hear. I enabled the feature and flashed the update, but didn't get a chance to test the C2-43 pin yet with VCM scanner.

Next question, the system is originally a serial-cycling system:

2005_Silver-AY-doe.jpg

Is my assumption correct that in addition to adding the A/C request (12V ON / 0V OFF) on pin C2-17, I will also need to preserve the A/C pressure sensor signal that is fed into pin C2-14?

EDIT: The circuit above might be for the variable displacement compressor. According to my original ROM dump, my controller had a fixed displacement (cycling) compressor. If that's true, I might only need to ground the low pressure switch on C2-55:

2005_Silver-AY-doe_fixed.jpg
    Last edited by Bayley; 03-10-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: updated with additional information about pressure sensor