Thread: Help on getting my C6 to Chop HARD(er)

Tuner in Training

Help on getting my C6 to Chop HARD(er)

Any input on what paramters I should use in my idle overspeed/underspeed so that I can get a real aggressive thumping sound from the car and that when I let off the
    throttle for it to have that lean exhaust popping.
    These are my cars mods
    It's a 2008 C6
    -Forged LS3 (Forged K1 rods and Mahle -4cc pistons)
    -BTR Stage IV cam 233/248 .619"/.595" 113+5
    -Lightly polished heads milled over .030
    -Kooks 1-7/8's, catless x-pipe, and SLP LM exhaust
    -Century Built 6l80e
    -FTI3600 stall
    -RRM 3.42 diff

What it currently sounds like(yest exhaust is off the grommet hangers as I had to move it slightly back for header removal(engine swap))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xBRRRo1qcY
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    That's not enough chop for you? Well to each their own. You can always lean the idle out more or subtract from the idle overspeed and add to the idle underspeed. But doing that makes the car alot harder to drive from my experience. Or alternatively just run the air

He might be deaf.

Just unplug a coil or two, it'll chop real good.

Also, your cam choice might limit it's sound, they aren't always made for the chop sound.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdaveonline View Post
    That's not enough chop for you? Well to each their own. You can always lean the idle out more or subtract from the idle overspeed and add to the idle underspeed. But doing that makes the car alot harder to drive from my experience. Or alternatively just run the air
    Not really haha! That's one issue I've noticed, the car idles with a decent afr (14.5-15.0) for a few minutes but then after going for a long cruise and when I come to a stop it starts getting pig rich at idle (13.0-13.4) and I just can't figure out why. I already changed my 02's

Advanced Tuner
    I would subtract 2 from the idle overspeed tables and add 2 to the idle underspeed tables. That will make it chop more. Edit: you can lower the idle RPM too.

The MAF table looks like it could be smoothed out a bit, that could potentially help with AFR swings and keep fueling more stable. Have you tuned the virtual VE table? It looks smooth but not sure if that's stock or not.

Last edited by itsdaveonline; 01-31-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    depends on your idle target error, you can adjust under and over speed and watch your ignition
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Simple way is RAF idle speed and timing.

Right now i can already hear alot of timing recovery.

Car looks wise reminds me a lot of my old Cam only C6

best was 10.6 2.56s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ewHvsa-Uw
    Last edited by 04blackgmc; 02-01-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdaveonline View Post
    I would subtract 2 from the idle overspeed tables and add 2 to the idle underspeed tables. That will make it chop more. Edit: you can lower the idle RPM too.

The MAF table looks like it could be smoothed out a bit, that could potentially help with AFR swings and keep fueling more stable. Have you tuned the virtual VE table? It looks smooth but not sure if that's stock or not.

Okay just changed that to my over/under speed tables. I'll upload the file in a bit and see if there is any difference.
    I'm honestly a beginner tuner so I have no idea and rather not mess with it that much from what it is, it just bothers me that on idle once it's starts enriching it starts sounding like a diesel tractor. But it only happens when I come to a stop after a cruise.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 04blackgmc View Post
    Simple way is RAF idle speed and timing.

Right now i can already hear alot of timing recovery.

Car looks wise reminds me a lot of my old Cam only C6

best was 10.6 2.56s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ewHvsa-Uw
    Your car is actually the car that has gotten me with the obsession on running 10's on motor. I really want to run it this upcoming Friday but I really need to get the tune dialed in.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PegasoLS3 View Post
    Your car is actually the car that has gotten me with the obsession on running 10's on motor. I really want to run it this upcoming Friday but I really need to get the tune dialed in.
    If you need any help let me know.
    I have a couple of tunes I've used one is from my old white car that went 10.6's and also my buddies blue 2008 that went 10.6's NA as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 04blackgmc View Post
    If you need any help let me know.
    I have a couple of tunes I've used one is from my old white car that went 10.6's and also my buddies blue 2008 that went 10.6's NA as well.
    Please, a file would be great to compare it off to.

Tuner in Training
    Okay so car was running incredibly lean at WOT. 13.5-13.7 @WOT
    So I multiplied the MAF from 3000Hz and up by 1.06 and changed my PE from 1.290 to 1.330 and now it's ~11.5aft @WOT. I got a log WOT starts at the 5:35 min mark, what do you guys think? Pulled 61 lb/min in the upper RPM range. Log file exceeded this forums upload limit by 1mb so I uploaded it to dropbox
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbcgs6gana...20AFX.hpl?dl=0
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PegasoLS3 View Post
    Okay so car was running incredibly lean at WOT. 13.5-13.7 @WOT
    So I multiplied the MAF from 3000Hz and up by 1.06 and changed my PE from 1.290 to 1.330 and now it's ~11.5aft @WOT. I got a log WOT starts at the 5:35 min mark, what do you guys think? Pulled 61 lb/min in the upper RPM range. Log file exceeded this forums upload limit by 1mb so I uploaded it to dropbox
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbcgs6gana...20AFX.hpl?dl=0
    Is there a reason you're commanding such a rich lambda during PE?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sevinn View Post
    Is there a reason you're commanding such a rich lambda during PE?
    I have no idea what I'm doing, just wanted it to get away from 13.5-13.7 @WOT afr

Changing the MAF table is changing how much air the ecm thinks its getting at the moment. That would be "tuning the MAF" ...or calibrating if you prefer.

The PE should be set to the AFR you want to see at WOT. Changing that is changing the commanded afr. Your PE is a multiplier of what your stoich is set to, so if you have stoich = 14.2 the PE commanded AFR would be 14.2/1.33 = 10.676 AFR.

So if you want to see 11.5 AFR at WOT you should set your PE to 1.24 (if you're for sure using 14.2 for stoich) because 14.2/1.24 = 11.483, and calibrate your MAF so that you actually get what you're commanding.

That way you will have aan accurate air model, and all your other tables will work properly too.

If I understand it right when you go adjusting the PE richer than you actually want to compensate for an inaccurate airflow model it is called "raping the PE" and causes the rest of your calibration to be less than perfect.
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

Advanced Tuner
    If you log "Equivalence ratio commanded" and set your wideband to log in lambda, you can use the built in EQ Error math pid that's built into 3.0 assuming they have your wideband transfer function built in, otherwise you'll have to make the pid. No better time than the present to switch to the new scanner if you aren't using it yet and haven't learned everything about 2.24 yet.

You should really try to keep it simple and make one change to a type of fueling at a time. Stick your stoich where you want it to be, stick your PE where you want it to be and tune with the maf curve (or VE if you're so inclined).
    Last edited by sevinn; 02-04-2016 at 02:00 PM.