Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: VCM Scanner 3.0 Serial Wideband Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Those are kind of like Windows 95, these days.
    HPTuners is just as old, yet I'm sure you haven't thrown yours in the trash yet!
    1968 Chevy C10 SWB - Project
    2018 Denali L5P

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Hammer View Post
    HPTuners is just as old, yet I'm sure you haven't thrown yours in the trash yet!
    At least HPTuners is evolving. I did throw my LC1 in the trash!
    Jaime

So will there be a serial interface for the LM-1? I see the ISP 2 literature covers it as well. I actually use that one...know its old, but works and has been good to me. Now I have an LC-1 in a box that I could let go :-)

Maybe one of these days I'll upgrade.......

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 02-05-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Yes.

So far, i've tested the LC-1 and LC-2. A few people have confirmed they work. One person has said it didn't work...

Feedback has been lacking regarding this implementation.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    Yes.

So far, i've tested the LC-1 and LC-2. A few people have confirmed they work. One person has said it didn't work...

Feedback has been lacking regarding this implementation.
    Keith,

Messing around with the settings of the serial connector I got it to read twice but would fail on reconnect for the LM1. The numbers it displayed were in the 7000's and the other time was in the 3000's.

Serial.jpg

Any specific settings you see need to be changed?
    1968 Chevy C10 SWB - Project
    2018 Denali L5P

LM-1, LM-2 should be working in a couple weeks. I'm waiting on a sample from a customer.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Potential Tuner
    Hi guys

Any Chance of looking at Motec PLM wideband support .

Manual is locate here - http://www.motec.com.au/plm/plmdownload/

Cheers
    Kyle

ok so in an attempt to get in for for the AEM wideband this is what I got from an AEM tech. I'm hoping this is what you need.
    model- AEM 31-4110
    Attached Images Attached Images

also if this is the correct data and need someone to test it, I can fairly quickly. just tell me and Ill cut a cable and get it done.

Good job cavy, hope this is what they need. if you end up with email updates let us know what you find out. I would like to get the aem serial working as well.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok so I got a chance to try my PLX serial/USB adapter in 3.0 and I honestly don't know if I'm missing something or it just doesn't work yet.

The serial to USB adapter shows up in my device manager as working ok. I can add the PLX Serial Wideband in the channel list ok, but when I start scanning it drops out like the car doesn't support it. ??? Nothing I tried so far has kept the PLX serial wideband channel active while scanning. I have it daisy chained from the sensor module to the display module (which runs the gauge), and then to the serial to USB adapter and into the computer. The gauge itself reads fine. Is there another step I'm missing? I've never hooked up a wideband through serial except for the dash gauge of course, so I could be doing it wrong. Any ideas guys?
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

If I hear anything or have anymore to add to the AEM information I'll be sure to post it up.

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Ok so I got a chance to try my PLX serial/USB adapter in 3.0 and I honestly don't know if I'm missing something or it just doesn't work yet.

The serial to USB adapter shows up in my device manager as working ok. I can add the PLX Serial Wideband in the channel list ok, but when I start scanning it drops out like the car doesn't support it. ??? Nothing I tried so far has kept the PLX serial wideband channel active while scanning. I have it daisy chained from the sensor module to the display module (which runs the gauge), and then to the serial to USB adapter and into the computer. The gauge itself reads fine. Is there another step I'm missing? I've never hooked up a wideband through serial except for the dash gauge of course, so I could be doing it wrong. Any ideas guys?
    No one that I am aware of has verified that the PLX serial input works yet.. HPT is looking for someone to send in their wideband so they can test it on site and get it up and going. The serial protocols are totally different for every brand wideband so it's much more difficult to get going than a 0-5V voltage input and they don't have a unit to test with. They were just making the best try they could based on the serial protocols that PLX has published.. Serial outputs are spitting out tons of data in completely different syntax's depending on what wideband/manufacturers product you are using

So.. I'm not surprised is my point. I've been trying to pull together all the parts from my old PLX setup but can't find the sensor. I was going to send it in to get them something to test on / get serial wideband going on but without the sensor it's not much use so I haven't sent anything in yet
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks.

Hey Keith, if you're checking this thread... I have a good contact at PLX, they're actually near right near me. Is this something I could ask them for and they would possibly give you the information you need without having to reverse engineer it or have a controller in your hand? I'm not even sure if the serial protocols you need are "secret" so they wouldn't help you even if you asked? I can't send you my PLX controller but maybe I can help that way?

I've already provided them a copy of the serial protocols, which they've used to *try* to implement serial support.. but they really need a unit to test it on in person so they can immediately see what works and what doesn't

If you can get a unit that would be great

Heck if someone just has a 4.2 PLX sensor they can send in, I can supply everything else.. I have the rest... I just didn't want to buy a new sensor just for this purpose (though I may and then just use it in bank 2 later..)

Advanced Tuner
    Damn, I wish I had one!

So I'm still not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong or missing. I guess I'll wait until Keith gets a chance to look at this. The computer sees the serial to USB input, but how does the HPT scanner know it's there or "see" it? Is it supposed to be automatic once you select the PLX serial wideband, like it auto-detects that there's a USB input that is emulating a serial input from a PLX wideband?

Like I said, I have no experience with setting up a serial wideband so it's entirely possible I'm missing something basic. I guess maybe I should try to see if any other programs can recognize and read the USB/serial wideband input. I believe Scan XL is supposed to be able to read them? I'll look into and try that later today hopefully.

BTW except for a few of us with teething pains and a few that did a little too much whining (lol), the support from the HPT guys AND fellow members on here during this 3.0 update has been AMAZING!!! Thank you ALL for helping one another. This forum has always been an extremely valuable asset to the entire community.

It scans through all available serial/COM ports and looks for one with data coming in that matches the format it's expecting for the wideband you have selected.. so it's super easy for the end user (when it's all finalized/working). You don't have to select a COM port # or anything like that. It looks at all ports available (probably just that one for most of us..) and checks out what data is coming in over it. If it's in a format it understands, it uses it. If it's not.. then it can't/doesn't

I agree.. HPT was seriously on the ball to fix/update things when the mass switch over started happening. I don't think I've ever seen a company react that fast to customer requests

AND they even made me a moderator
    Last edited by schpenxel; 02-10-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    It scans through all available serial/COM ports and looks for one with data coming in that matches the format it's expecting for the wideband you have selected.. so it's super easy for the end user (when it's all finalized/working). You don't have to select a COM port # or anything like that. It looks at all ports available (probably just that one for most of us..) and checks out what data is coming in over it. If it's in a format it understands, it uses it. If it's not.. then it can't/doesn't

I agree.. HPT was seriously on the ball to fix/update things when the mass switch over started happening. I don't think I've ever seen a company react that fast to customer requests

AND they even made me a moderator
    Nice! I'm not good on remembering names or screen names but I know I've seen yours come up helping a lot on here. I've always been impressed with the level of help several guys on here have given over the years. It takes a lot of time to properly answer questions about this stuff and it's cool to see so many make the efforts it takes to help others through ANY of this tuning stuff. Congrats on the mod title!

So that's what I was assuming the program did when you have a serial input plugged in, your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks for letting me know I probably wasn't crazy or missing something!

And yeah, I wanted to ask Keith if he'd gotten any sleep in that first week of the 3.0 release! It looked to me like he was on here answering questions 24/7! And he kept his cool too, which I know is incredible considering some of the comments that were made. That and having to answer the same questions 50 times over gets a little old, but I never saw him "bite anyone's head off" in any of his helping replies. That's impressive.

I think I've mentioned it before on here, years ago the ability to "tune" the software in these cars got me excited about cars again. I'd gotten a little sick of fixing cars after a few decades, especially when most of the "tuning" had been gone with the demise of carbs and distributors. So when this (and the "other" tuning software out there) came out it changed everything for me. I could actually make engines run BETTER again, instead of just changing parts and getting them back exactly the way they were. And getting back to learning through experimenting brought me a lot of enjoyment that had been missing in my day to day job. Being able to change a few values in some tables on a computer and then feel the differences you've made while running the car is truly amazing and addicting. Without guys like Keith putting in the extremely long hours making software like this, I know a part of MY life would be lacking an amount of enjoyment, fulfillment, knowledge increase, sense of accomplishment and of course an amount of income. Let's hope the latest EPA cr@p doesn't eventually take this away from us, it would be a huge loss for a huge community of people involved with every aspect of "modifying" or providing parts for cars and trucks.

Tuner
    I would like serial support for the Innovate MTX-L air/fuel gauge. I just tried connecting it serial and started logging data. It reads in the 100's while logging? I used the Innovate SP2 - AFR in the channels.

here is the link to the Innovates Support Page:
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support.php

Link to Innovate Motorsports Serial Protocol 2:
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...eriallog-2.pdf

Here is a screen shot of what its reading:
    screenshot.png
    Torque_Vector
    408ci stroker LS3 1998 BMW 323is - 490RWHP 466RWT in 100 degree weather
    260cc CNC Ported PRC heads, 11.25:1 Compression, 4" stroke, 242/250 .615/.615", Nick Williams 92mm TB, LS3 intake/fuel rails, FAST 39# INJ, 3" x-pipe dual exhaust

Additions: ID1300 INJ, Flex Fuel Sensor, Aeromotive 5GPM variable speed Fuel Pump...

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Nice! I'm not good on remembering names or screen names but I know I've seen yours come up helping a lot on here. I've always been impressed with the level of help several guys on here have given over the years. It takes a lot of time to properly answer questions about this stuff and it's cool to see so many make the efforts it takes to help others through ANY of this tuning stuff. Congrats on the mod title!

So that's what I was assuming the program did when you have a serial input plugged in, your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks for letting me know I probably wasn't crazy or missing something!

And yeah, I wanted to ask Keith if he'd gotten any sleep in that first week of the 3.0 release! It looked to me like he was on here answering questions 24/7! And he kept his cool too, which I know is incredible considering some of the comments that were made. That and having to answer the same questions 50 times over gets a little old, but I never saw him "bite anyone's head off" in any of his helping replies. That's impressive.

I think I've mentioned it before on here, years ago the ability to "tune" the software in these cars got me excited about cars again. I'd gotten a little sick of fixing cars after a few decades, especially when most of the "tuning" had been gone with the demise of carbs and distributors. So when this (and the "other" tuning software out there) came out it changed everything for me. I could actually make engines run BETTER again, instead of just changing parts and getting them back exactly the way they were. And getting back to learning through experimenting brought me a lot of enjoyment that had been missing in my day to day job. Being able to change a few values in some tables on a computer and then feel the differences you've made while running the car is truly amazing and addicting. Without guys like Keith putting in the extremely long hours making software like this, I know a part of MY life would be lacking an amount of enjoyment, fulfillment, knowledge increase, sense of accomplishment and of course an amount of income. Let's hope the latest EPA cr@p doesn't eventually take this away from us, it would be a huge loss for a huge community of people involved with every aspect of "modifying" or providing parts for cars and trucks.
    The level of detail available and accuracy with which we can control fuel/spark these days is pretty amazing. I'm always amazed that we can set ignition timing based on all kinds of different things down to within 0.5*. Something spinning 7000 times a minute, and we're able to set spark to 0.5* increments. It's a huge part of how people drive around 1000rwhp cars now like they're stock. Heck even 400rwhp cars used to be pretty crazy..

Quote Originally Posted by Torque_Vector View Post
    I would like serial support for the Innovate MTX-L air/fuel gauge. I just tried connecting it serial and started logging data. It reads in the 100's while logging? I used the Innovate SP2 - AFR in the channels.

here is the link to the Innovates Support Page:
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support.php

Link to Innovate Motorsports Serial Protocol 2:
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...eriallog-2.pdf

Here is a screen shot of what its reading:
    screenshot.png
    Can you post a log of it doing that?

I don't know if the MTX-L and SP2 protocols are exactly the same but maybe Keith can take a look at it if you can post a log of what you're getting

Do you have a spare or old O2 sensor laying around for the MTX-L by chance? I have an MTX-L but don't have the sensor. I'm sure if HPT had the whole setup they could have it working in no time but without one it's kind of a trial/error type deal
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock