Thread: delete VVT in truck

Tuner

delete VVT in truck

Never deleted the VVT in ford before, do you just delete the correct codes or is there more to it?

what application?
    coyote or 3v

Tuner
    08 truck with 5.4

Tuner in Training
    Hey, man long time no chat. I don't have HP but I'm assuming you put lockouts on this truck? I downloaded the demo and it appears as there is a drop down under the general tab that has variable camshaft, it should be as simple as changing it to disable. Similar to what we do in SCT.

yes there is a master enable/disable switch for vvt
    switch it to disable and give that a shot

Potential Tuner
    I dont recommend doing that unless your putting cams in the cam in these is good to 4400rpm vct retards the timing about 12 -13 degrees shifting the power band higher to something like 5200. If you are having noise or stalling issues let me know I work on these all the time ill do my best to assist. If you put cams in then I cant help never deleted them before.

Potential Tuner
    I know this tread is a few months old but for anybody that comes looking later. All you have to do is disable vvt and it works great with lockouts. I've done this on about 50 trucks with no problems. Also I tap and cap the vvt selonoids to help with oil pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettBennett View Post
    I dont recommend doing that unless your putting cams in the cam in these is good to 4400rpm vct retards the timing about 12 -13 degrees shifting the power band higher to something like 5200. If you are having noise or stalling issues let me know I work on these all the time ill do my best to assist. If you put cams in then I cant help never deleted them before.
    I disagree.

I have deleted VCT in my personal vehicle due to phaser issues, and have done likely close to 70 other vehicles now. Out of curiosity and contest for the "lose all kinds of power" claims, I ran one vehicle on the dyno before and after. The truck lost nothing through the midrange, admittedly there likely was a loss, but the loss as made up for by getting the truck in the open loop fueling without the fuel delay and correcting timing. The only loss that was not corrected by tuning was up above 5000rpm where the loss was less than 12rwhp. Every vehicle (including the one dynod) have commented on how much smoother the power feels, and how much more responsive.

I have personally put over 13000 miles on my 5.4L 3V expedition now with the VCT deleted, most of those miles pulling a 20ft pontoon with a 90hp 4 stroke on the back. The truck still pulls 12mph pulling the pontoon out of over drive, and on the freeway with no trailer I can still achieve 17+mpg. Putting the claims of loss of fuel economy from eliminating VCT to rest that some others have made.

These trucks can have VCT issues if oil pressure drops below 20psi at idle, which a lot of times happens on decel. The system is not meant to operate with this low of oil pressure, so often engines are condemned because of this. However 20psi at idle in a an engine not using a VCT system that is oil pressure control is more than sufficient to live a very long life.

Too add, if you eliminate the VCT before you have issues with the phasers sticking, you will eliminate broken timing chain guides as well. When, the phaser sticks it allows the timing chain to slap violently against the stationary timing chain guides, causing them to snap off the mounts. This causes the chain to run against the head, or the front cover. This in many cases is the rapid metal again metal noise many people here when they are running into issues. It also pumps a lot of fine aluminum shavings through the engine..

Deleting VCT in a 5.3L 3V is something I would to any truck I own..
    Last edited by Sweet35th; 08-02-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Corykizer View Post
    I know this tread is a few months old but for anybody that comes looking later. All you have to do is disable vvt and it works great with lockouts. I've done this on about 50 trucks with no problems. Also I tap and cap the vvt selonoids to help with oil pressure.
    I would like to know exactly what your doing when you say tap and cap the old VCT solenoids. This will come in handy. Thanks
    Mike

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet35th View Post
    I disagree.

I have deleted VCT in my personal vehicle due to phaser issues, and have done likely close to 70 other vehicles now. Out of curiosity and contest for the "lose all kinds of power" claims, I ran one vehicle on the dyno before and after. The truck lost nothing through the midrange, admittedly there likely was a loss, but the loss as made up for by getting the truck in the open loop fueling without the fuel delay and correcting timing. The only loss that was not corrected by tuning was up above 5000rpm where the loss was less than 12rwhp. Every vehicle (including the one dynod) have commented on how much smoother the power feels, and how much more responsive.

I have personally put over 13000 miles on my 5.4L 3V expedition now with the VCT deleted, most of those miles pulling a 20ft pontoon with a 90hp 4 stroke on the back. The truck still pulls 12mph pulling the pontoon out of over drive, and on the freeway with no trailer I can still achieve 17+mpg. Putting the claims of loss of fuel economy from eliminating VCT to rest that some others have made.

These trucks can have VCT issues if oil pressure drops below 20psi at idle, which a lot of times happens on decel. The system is not meant to operate with this low of oil pressure, so often engines are condemned because of this. However 20psi at idle in a an engine not using a VCT system that is oil pressure control is more than sufficient to live a very long life.

Too add, if you eliminate the VCT before you have issues with the phasers sticking, you will eliminate broken timing chain guides as well. When, the phaser sticks it allows the timing chain to slap violently against the stationary timing chain guides, causing them to snap off the mounts. This causes the chain to run against the head, or the front cover. This in many cases is the rapid metal again metal noise many people here when they are running into issues. It also pumps a lot of fine aluminum shavings through the engine..

Deleting VCT in a 5.3L 3V is something I would to any truck I own..
    I was wondering what you charge for a tune for a truck that is phaser deleted. I have hptuners and have just disabled the variable
    cam timing and the truck is very doggy after about 3000 rpm. I have never done one of these trucks with deletes before and I am
    at kind of a loss on what to do. Any help you could provide would be great. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws613 View Post
    I was wondering what you charge for a tune for a truck that is phaser deleted. I have hptuners and have just disabled the variable
    cam timing and the truck is very doggy after about 3000 rpm. I have never done one of these trucks with deletes before and I am
    at kind of a loss on what to do. Any help you could provide would be great. Thanks
    Jaws,

Typically there is not a lot that needs to be fixed in the tune to get back to the power of a stock truck. Or at least within acceptable range. If you are having a significant loss of power above 3000rpm, I suggest you log your VCT 1 and VCT 2 actual angles to see if you possibly have cam timing incorrect. Both reads should be identical, if I recall they should stay at -25 degrees. Even if the system is turned off you can still log these values because of the dual CMP sensors. If you are off even 1/2 of a gear link, they loose all kinds of power.

Potential Tuner
    Any luck with a tune. Mine is weak after 3000 also

Potential Tuner

Vct delete

Quote Originally Posted by Lefeaux View Post
    Any luck with a tune. Mine is weak after 3000 also
    I Know this is a old thread. Having issue finding the vct disable. Have a 2004 f150. Have already installed lockouts, can not find a vct enable on the editor. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettBennett View Post
    2006 ford f150 5.4l. I want to do a delete vvt on n it. Any advise