Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HP Tuners nGauge

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ferraro View Post
    Here is the process:

1. Use the nGauge to read the stock file (this way, your customer always has a means of returning to stock, with or without you).
    2. If the car is local, use VCM Suite for all R&D. Take a read of the stock file with VCM Suite, create your tunes and then go ahead and leave whichever tune in the vehicle you want. The nGauge does not care.
    3. Take your final calibration (s), and open them in VCM Suite. From the .hpt file, go to File > Export > to e-motion. This will create .ENC files (think of it in the loose analogy of converting a word document to PDF). The nGauge needs .ENC tuned files. You simply drag and drop those onto the CUSTOM FILES folder on the nGauge (micro SD card), and your customer will be able to go between stock and tuned at will. We once tested how many custom files will fit in the folder and we stopped at 20. It's enough =o)

Questions about the process, call me: 407-588-7546
    This makes sense, thanks for clarifying it. I was debating whether I should even mention the gauge to customers because I was unsure how exactly the file uploads works.

Still on the fence about it since the $450 price tag+$100 HPT credit cost pretty much eats into any chances of profits being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    This makes sense, thanks for clarifying it. I was debating whether I should even mention the gauge to customers because I was unsure how exactly the file uploads works.

Still on the fence about it since the $450 price tag+$100 HPT credit cost pretty much eats into any chances of profits being made.
    The shops that are successful with it sell it for more than an Xcal, because it's not an Xcal. It's a better device, being tuned with better software...
    When priced appropriately, it's profitable.
    Jim Ferraro
    Ferraro Speed Parts Inc
    (Distributor of the HP Tuners nGauge)
    407-588-7546
    [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    The shops that are successful with it sell it for more than an Xcal, because it's not an Xcal. It's a better device, being tuned with better software...
    When priced appropriately, it's profitable.
    Yeah I saw your bulk pricing cost, def worth it then, sadly, I don't have see the volume they do. But I def like the way it works, watched a few videos on it.

Potential Tuner
    Hi everyone, just a quick intro:

I'm handling the dealer and wholesale support of the HP Tuners nGauge.
    If you have questions regarding functionality, pricing, instructions, applications, the latest firmware, or if you need nGauges, shoot me an email or call.

Thanks!
    my ngauge is mostly for my z06 and need the coolant temp to read on it but for some reason that option doesnt come up? it does however when I plug it into the g8 .. thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by GXPZ06 View Post
    my ngauge is mostly for my z06 and need the coolant temp to read on it but for some reason that option doesn't come up? it does however when I plug it into the g8 .. thanks in advance
    The device officially supports Ford as a gauge, datalogger and custom tuning device.. As a gauge and datalogger only, it also works on many GM vehicles.
    As was done with Ford, once GM support for tuning becomes official, any lingering PIDS can be added.
    Jim Ferraro
    Ferraro Speed Parts Inc
    407-588-7546
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    The device officially supports Ford as a gauge, datalogger and custom tuning device.. As a gauge and datalogger only, it also works on many GM vehicles.
    As was done with Ford, once GM support for tuning becomes official, any lingering PIDS can be added.
    how/when would we find this out? we are awating gm support? what about my 2003 z06?

Quote Originally Posted by GXPZ06 View Post
    how/when would we find this out? we are awaiting gm support? what about my 2003 z06?
    Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll make sure you're up to speed when the GM version launches.
    Jim Ferraro
    Ferraro Speed Parts Inc
    407-588-7546
    [email protected]

Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll make sure you're up to speed when the GM version launches.
    Im in for an nDash for a GM w/ hptuners...

I want it because of the skinnable gauges, I do photoshop projects all the time, would be really cool to have the theme match my Escalade gauges in my 2500HD.

The custom WAV files for notification is super cool.

Glad to see you guys incorporated those two features. These days a lot of companies forget to add the "cool factor".

On the technical side, I LOVE the two analog inputs. A lot of GM vehicles I've had did not come with or are not able to log fuel pressure. Sometimes its a PITA to diagnose a lean when everything looks good. A quick check of fuel pressure can help me move along to checking other things sooner. The alerts are also awesome for being instantly aware of low fuel or oil pressure through audio cues.

In order for me to buy something like this, it would definitely have to have the ability to save and upload multiple tunes. That would be the dealbreaker for me.

Let us know when its ready for GM!

I searched and was unable to find any videos on Youtube..or anywhere demonstrating this product and those feature I mentioned.

Got a link or something?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by christopherstone View Post
    I searched and was unable to find any videos on Youtube..or anywhere demonstrating this product and those feature I mentioned.

Got a link or something?
    The nGuage uses a micro SD card to store your tunes and logs, you can keep quite a few tunes on it and flash them on the car as much as you like. It does have 2 analog inputs...

Copied from another site:

Hardware Features

2.4" 320 x 240 Color LCD
    Resistive touch screen
    Touch Stylus included
    Micro-SD Card
    2 Analog Inputs
    6 Programmable LEDs
    Chrome bezel
    Brushed aluminum overlay
    Fits 3 gauge hole sizes
    Adapter Ring included
    Dual T-Slot for pedestal mounting
    Thin design to save space
    Auto Sleep/Wake with ignition
    RS232 and CAN expansion ports
    Support for Zeitronix wideband
    Firmware update through USB or MicroSD
    2 High Speed CAN Channels
    ISO9141 / KWP2000, J1850PWM / J1850VPW

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    The nGuage uses a micro SD card to store your tunes and logs, you can keep quite a few tunes on it and flash them on the car as much as you like. It does have 2 analog inputs...

Copied from another site:

Hardware Features

2.4" 320 x 240 Color LCD
    Resistive touch screen
    Touch Stylus included
    Micro-SD Card
    2 Analog Inputs
    6 Programmable LEDs
    Chrome bezel
    Brushed aluminum overlay
    Fits 3 gauge hole sizes
    Adapter Ring included
    Dual T-Slot for pedestal mounting
    Thin design to save space
    Auto Sleep/Wake with ignition
    RS232 and CAN expansion ports
    Support for Zeitronix wideband
    Firmware update through USB or MicroSD
    2 High Speed CAN Channels
    ISO9141 / KWP2000, J1850PWM / J1850VPW
    I understand how it works. Just thought itd be cool to see the NDASH in action, showing the skinnable guages.

Potential Tuner
    So. If I already have been tuned by HPT at a shop and have my own HPT Pro interface licensed to my car...how does this work for me?

Plug it in and read current file and it assumes this is "stock" and proceed as usual?

Cause I'm seriously considering ditching my aero force for this. Because it does all that, has 2 inputs AND I can store multiple tunes and DON'T need to drag HPT out...

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar569 View Post
    So. If I already have been tuned by HPT at a shop and have my own HPT Pro interface licensed to my car...how does this work for me?

Plug it in and read current file and it assumes this is "stock" and proceed as usual?

Cause I'm seriously considering ditching my aero force for this. Because it does all that, has 2 inputs AND I can store multiple tunes and DON'T need to drag HPT out...

This is the way the nGauge works:

1. Make sure the stock tune is in the car.
    2. Read the stock tune with the nGauge. (This provides a way to return to stock without a computer nearby). This step can be skipped in theory, but it's not recommended. In that case "return to stock" would be whatever was in the car when the nGauge took a read.
    3. Open the tuned file (which I assume you already possess) in VCM Suite. In other words,the .hpt file.
    4. While the licensed .hpt file is open, click on FILE > Export > To E-Motion
    5. This will produce an nGauge compatible version of the tuned file. The file extension will be .enc
    6. Drag and drop this .enc file into the CUSTOM FILES folder on the nGauge. You can fit at least 20 tunes on the supplied SD card. Not that you would, but you could.
    7. You can now use your nGauge to load any of your custom files or return to stock.

I can also cover how to use the nGauge to create .ng files, that can be used to preconfig other nGauges before shipping/giving to the customer. This allows you to preset gauge and datalogging configuration. Logs will open in VCM Scanner. If you have more questions, feel free to shoot me an email: [email protected]
    Jim Ferraro
    Ferraro Speed Parts Inc
    407-588-7546
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Sounds simple enough.

So if my HP Tuners Pro is already licensed and I am able to read/edit...does the ngauge also need a separate license at 2 more credits?

And I see JDP is advertising the GM version. Has that officially been released yet?

Sounds simple enough.

So if my HP Tuners Pro is already licensed and I am able to read/edit...does the ngauge also need a separate license at 2 more credits?

And I see JDP is advertising the GM version. Has that officially been released yet?
    E38 is stable enough that some capable GM shops are now tuning with it in house. It retains the "beta" label, but it should be dropped soon.
    (For that matter, I think my phone is still beta, hah!)

There are no additional credits for the nGauge. In other words, even if your customer is remote, you license the file normally (2 credits), then export the .hpt file into the nGauge format by clicking FILE > EXPORT > TO E-Motion. You can then either drag and drop the .enc files onto your nGauge, or you can email them to your remote customer and they can do it.
    When the customer uses the nGauge to load the tune, they do not need any additional credits.

Important detail when it comes to unlimited licenses: Unlimited licenses are good for direct flash only with an MPVI Pro. In other words, while the nGauge will never use more than 2 credits total (even on a remote tune--unless it's an application that already requires more than 2 credits per license), it will always consume 2 credits total. Even if you have an unlimited license for the application, you will need to purchase the 2 credits.
    Last edited by Jim Ferraro; 12-26-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    Jim Ferraro
    Ferraro Speed Parts Inc
    407-588-7546
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    So since my interface is already licensed and I have a valid read I'm good to go. No additional credits.

This pleases me.

You've been a great help. Please keep us posted on official GM release.

So since my interface is already licensed and I have a valid read I'm good to go. No additional credits.

This pleases me.

You've been a great help. Please keep us posted on official GM release.
    No problem.
    Let me clarify because the semantics in your response leave a little room for confusion.
    If the vehicle is already licensed to your interface, and it was not licensed with an unlimited license (in other words, actual credits were purchased), you are good to go.
    In other words, if you consumed 2 credits and direct flashed a customers car 2 years ago and they come back in, you can simply re-export that file to the nGauge with no more credits consumed.
    You can also create additional calibrations for them with no more credits consumed.

You can actually check this on any .HPT file. When looking at an HPT file, if you are able to choose File > Export > To-E-motion and save a .enc file, you are good to go.
    That simply needs to be dropped into the custom files folder on the nGauge.

If you don't see that option, you are either dealing with a license issue or an unsupported vehicle.
    For vehicles that have unlimited licenses, there is a build coming up that will allow you to purchase credits for nGauge tuning, This avoids the scenario where you would need a separate interface for applications for which you hold an unlimited license.
    Last edited by Jim Ferraro; 12-26-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    Jim Ferraro
    Ferraro Speed Parts Inc
    407-588-7546
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    So we can only buy them through you? Can you email me some pricing [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by frans96ss View Post
    So we can only buy them through you? Can you email me some pricing [email protected]
    I think the pricing is on the page...I take it back I can't find it anymore...Im sure Jim will let you know what they were...the bulk pricing was really good from what I recall...

Potential Tuner
    Any news/progress?