Thread: Dumb question about GM ECUs

Potential Tuner

Creative usage of GM ECUs

I'm fairly new to ECU tuning so please spare me. Also, my question has to do with Japanese (I know...) car.

I just bought a '92 Nissan 180SX (I wanted something with a bit more cylinders, but the car has a special meaning). The ECU in there is kind of old fashioned and really hard/expensive to expensive to tune. The ROM chips have to be burned with new maps. I really like the idea of a flexible programmable ECU. So I started thinking:

Would it be possible to use the ECU out of a Cobalt or a Cavalier to run this wonderful SR20DET (red top, really pretty) instead of using the stock ECU. Keep in mind the car is running 4 separate coils that can be upgraded to GM LS coils, dual overhead cams, a upgraded turbo pushing roughly 12 PSI and 550cc injectors instead of the stock 370cc ones. Displacement is 2 liters on 4 cylinders. Throttle assembly is mechanical, so no drive by wire here. To me it sounds very similar to a 2.0L ecotec turbo.

Is it possible to recalibrate the ECU to get accurate reading from the Nissan sensors, or would it be necessary to change some or all the sensors to GM stuff. I am open to suggestions, as this Drift-tax you might have heard of is criminally high. I am fully prepared to do the wiring and the tuning, or get some help if necessary. I found a copy of the base fuel and ignition maps that are burned into the stock ECU, so I guess I can use them to create a safe starting point.

The LS swap is not out of the question, but I would like to get the car running right without sinking 6k in it.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by xavgo2; 01-09-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the 2.0 turbo Ecotec is a direct injection engine. you cannot use the computer from those vehicles to control the SR20 fuel system.
    the ecu that would be the closest would be the 2.0 Supercharged ecu which can be configured to tune turbocharger systems. The engine code for these vehicles is LSJ.
    the problem you will have will be the reluctor signals from the SR20 will not match the Ecotec signal patterns. There is no way to recode the signal pattern through HPT therefore you are dropping massive money to have a professional computer programming team re-write the code to allow the SR20 pattern if its even possible.

you should be looking for something like this: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ans-p-511.html
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 01-10-2016 at 10:43 AM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Do an LS1 Swap........and then you can run a GM ECU.

Tuner in Training
    you could run external trigger wheels for the cam and crank sensors, but youd have to use pretty much all gm sensors. i could see it working if you did a ton of research first before getting your hands dirty.