Thread: Bricked ECM on 2007 Saturn Sky Redline

Tuner in Training

Bricked ECM on 2007 Saturn Sky Redline

So my first attempt at downloading a tune and I bricked my ECM. Does anybody here have any recommendations on purchasing a new one? Places to get one, places not to get one, stay OEM or aftermarket? Was looking at Andy's Auto Sport BigStuff3 GEN3 PRO SEFI - Magneto Upgrade. they have a ton of different ones starting from $190 on up to over 3K. Thanks for the help

Tuner in Training
    OEM but how did you brick it? That ECU is very common.

Tuner in Training
    I'm new to tuning with a computer, anyways I was trying to set up the histograms per the video in this forum and for some reason the same points like anything to do with Boost doesn't show up, sent a email to tech support. I was wanting bad to get the car back on the road, so I went to the repository and downloaded a tune that was for a 2008 Saturn Sky that is suppose to be the GMPP tune, thought I'd download that and have the car running until the scanner problem gets resolved. I didn't think to change the VIN in the tune and it locked up, and from that point forward the VCM can't find the ECM. I have the original tune from the car, but it won't download either. Tech support gave me 4 credits back and confirmed that the ECM is done. After all had failed to work I disconnected power for a day and tried again, but no talkie talkie.

You could check with the dealer about reflashing it back to stock with a tech 2 tool or just purchase a pcm.

Advanced Tuner
    Really rare that reading or flashing your ECU with HPTuners causes the ECU to brick. You can have a failure to complete writing or similar that will render the ECU temporarily erased, but not dead from a functional sense. Usually flashing a stock file back onto it with the Write Entire process will recover the ECU.

Now, if you ECU was already toast, and you weren't aware of it and then HPTuners basically faulted as a result of your dead ECU, then I can see that being an issue. I've had some "oh crap" moments with unintentionally erased ECUs here and there over the years, but all have been recoverable.

As for ECU, just get the ole stocker. ZZPerformance sells them cheaply in my opinion.

Did you ever download your stock tune from your Redline, or did you just open the tune from the repository and try to shove that on your own ECU? Because you have to download the stock tune off your ECU first and license your ECU, then if you want to use a tune repository tune you either have to have that person's tune licensed (which isn't worth it), or you have to do a file comparison and copy/paste the tables that are different into your stock tune. Then upload the newly saved modified stock tune back onto your car.

Your description of what you did makes it sound like you had no clue what you were doing, but that may just be for the sake of not feeling like you are typing your life story into a forum post.
    Last edited by PSYKOSTEVO; 01-08-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Also, you're dealing with the LNF engine. Stay with the stock ECU if you know what's good for you. Tons of fantastic stuff can be done with it. Torque based ECU programs are awesome. Doubt the stand alone comes even close.

The ECM was bricked by loading an incompatible tune. You won't have any issues, if you reuse the calibration you've read from your own ECM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    The ECM was bricked by loading an incompatible tune. You won't have any issues, if you reuse the calibration you've read from your own ECM.
    Figures. Some people will assume it is just that easy.

Don't trust the tunes in the repository, nobody verifies them for any validity to their application. They should be considered like Reference Books at the Library, you can go in there and read them, but you can't/shouldn't take them out.

Tuner in Training
    You're right PSYKOSTEVO, I have very little idea what I'm doing. been reading and learning all I can on the forums. I have some computer knowledge, some car knowledge, and have programmed up PID loops for HVAC equipment and building automation systems. Car tuning/calibration is new to me. I did a read entire on the original tune and tried to send it back down but it didn't work. I got a new OEM ECU and had the local GM dealer download the GMPP tune into the car and all is good now. It's a 2007 car with over 100K so the old ECU must have been near the end. Anyways learning all I can, and appreciate all the help on the forum.

Tuner in Training
    I tried, but it can find it. I got a new ECU and the local GM dealer downloaded the GMPP tune so all good for now.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by stabman View Post
    You're right PSYKOSTEVO, I have very little idea what I'm doing. been reading and learning all I can on the forums. I have some computer knowledge, some car knowledge, and have programmed up PID loops for HVAC equipment and building automation systems. Car tuning/calibration is new to me. I did a read entire on the original tune and tried to send it back down but it didn't work. I got a new OEM ECU and had the local GM dealer download the GMPP tune into the car and all is good now. It's a 2007 car with over 100K so the old ECU must have been near the end. Anyways learning all I can, and appreciate all the help on the forum.
    Jumping years usually isn't recommended, since there are a bunch of tables that aren't unlocked / known that have changes between years.
    Last edited by NerdsMcGee; 02-05-2016 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by stabman View Post
    I tried, but it can find it. I got a new ECU and the local GM dealer downloaded the GMPP tune so all good for now.
    Can you just bring the loose ECM, or does the dealer need the actual vehicle there to program it?