Thread: Filtering Out Transients when Scanning

Filtering Out Transients when Scanning

Did anyone come up with an effective way of filtering out transient fueling when scanning
    for VE and MAF calibrations. I'm going to continue to use 2.24 until the new scanner is
    out of beta testing, so I'm asking this for the 2.24 version of the scanner.

Like everyone else who does not own a dyno, I'm tuning based on driving on the street,
    and need to filter out transient fueling. The last time I checked, over a year ago, the
    dy/dt filtering feature of the scanner was not working correctly.

Most of the posts I read dealt with customers wishing to measure lambda error ONLY when
    TPS% was not changing beyond a certain threshold or rate over time to exclude transient
    behavior for the computation of lambda error correct factors to apply to MAF and VE
    tables.

Would those familiar with the more recent improvements please update me on what
    approach turned out to be the best?

Thank you very much for your help! Jim Linder NW AR

Senior Tuner
    I have not, which is why I don't use the histograms and the
    paste-error methods. Instead I "eyeball filter" the log and find
    steady state segments and use what I find. More tedious, but
    at least I know what's gone into the sausage.

I bet some Excel whiz could do something with macro based
    filtering. I wish the scan tool could import back .csv files.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue View Post
    I have not, which is why I don't use the histograms and the
    paste-error methods. Instead I "eyeball filter" the log and find
    steady state segments and use what I find. More tedious, but
    at least I know what's gone into the sausage.

I bet some Excel whiz could do something with macro based
    filtering. I wish the scan tool could import back .csv files.
    Jimmy is right, besides using filters (FTC, MAP, TPS%, Lambda/AFR commanded etc.) you need to look over the log to identify area's that have created these transients and use your eyes and the filters together to best "weed them out". Filters can be added/manipulated to your hearts content after the logging session so you can use them in conjunction with the visual filtering. FTC is a great one to filter out idle and decel, while commanded Lambda/AFR can filter out PE transients. By massaging this filters, you can get to pretty accurate error correction instead of just performing a straight Copy/Paste Mult.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 01-11-2016 at 06:17 AM. Reason: typos
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    You know what would be great? Ability to "tag" regions of the
    log by hand, which should / shouldn't be allowed into histograms.
    A "masking tape" button, like. Something where you could drag
    across the field of view saying "add this" and "drop that" slice
    of time.

VCM Scanner 2.25 allows you to filter transients.

VCM Scanner 2.25 allows you to view only "slices" of time for the graphs, so you can trim off unwanted data.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    VCM Scanner 2.25 allows you to filter transients.

VCM Scanner 2.25 allows you to view only "slices" of time for the graphs, so you can trim off unwanted data.
    Keith is absolutely correct about 2.25. I have been getting used to it while it evolves and am really starting to like the layout and features. Some great things I like are:

Greater number of PIDs allowed without effecting sample rate (Broadcast PID's and Bucket), transient filtering as Keith satated above, the "name search" function to find PID's in the PID Insert list, the isolate feature (keith above), simpler means for writing PIDs into filters, Wideband setup and especilly the new feature to use Serial data as well as previous Analog (use of transforms) etc.

Be patient, its a Beta and being improved/edited everyday and give it a try. I think you will find it much improved over 2.24, which I liked very much and was very comfortable with as well. Hats off to Keith and the crew for a great new version, including the VCM Editor with its better layout/table descriptions and number one is the integrated VVE coefficient development tool.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]