Thread: Help from guys that did larger turbo

Help from guys that did larger turbo

Just got a larger or oversized turbo for my Ats 2.0t ltg and was looking for guys that may have done this to their cobalt or other ecotec style engine and how much out side the box tuning was needed. Mine is a stock housing td04l that is just maxed out with a 51mm compressor so not a huge step up like some guys do with aftermarket turbos but it's bigger. So wondering how involved the tuning will be as all out of boost should stay same I would think and just have to mod all tables involving boost. Plus would think less timing due to more power at same rpm? So any help or guidance would be great.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Potential Tuner
    i also have a rebuilt stock turbo. who did you buy yours from?

Mine is from turbobay out of orland Florida area. He has been doing cobalt, evo, srt4, and other small stock turbos that he changes to the oversized. Seen Dyno info on some and pretty impressive what he gets from a stock turbo. Also does the big truck stuff like duramax and Cummings.

2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Potential Tuner
    i have the same one pretty sure mine was the first he did have yet to put it on though. ill be putting it on April and taking it back down to backyard turbo for a dyno retune to see how much it gains, have you noticed any difference with it yet?

I am doing it this weekend. Doing a front mount at same time as the stock turbo is heat washing the factory intercooler bad on this car when I push it hard and use the tune with more boost. Did u Dyno yours as is? I haven't but have good track data to go off. On my normal driving street tune seeing 105-108 in quarter mile and when have race gas and more boost and the cold air on it have seen as much as 112. That's more then most guys were seeing on the Vermont tune big turbo so if I can pick up what's expected around 100 hp I will be pretty happy. Guy I got front mount off said it made a big difference on his stock turbo. So between the two hoping for around 450rwhp or 118 mph quarter mile.
    I had paid for my turbo back in late August so waited quite a while to get it but by the looks and comparing to all the others that are doing it I have yet to find anyone making one this big and doing all the extras like coatings and specific internals not just shelf parts from other turbos. Should be driving it late Saturday and will update u then.

By the way see tons of guys reading this and no one saying anything but so far this sucker is night and day over stock turbo. Logging over 100 more lbs delivered torque on lower boost. A week straight playing with it has really found some good gains. Pulls hard to redline now no fall off at all. Well worth the money rather then spending 1900 or more on a efr turbo.