Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are Snap to point and Snap to line?

Senior Tuner
    I agree with this. There is a lot of tables and descriptions and labels still undefined with HPT. Have to be patient I suppose. We are also discussing things that are not essential to making the car work and make power, which is priority for HPT and most users.....[/QUOTE]

To me seeing a pattern about how to tune with MP its essential. I'm not looking at WOT only. I'm not even interested in OP WOT stock is not used so why bother with it. With the capability of MP I want to know how to build my own array of points properly. I could do it based off current arrays but the HDFX interfering would be an unknown to work around.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Like I said before, my goal is to relegate Atkinson and closed IMRCs to cruise and open IMRCs and normal cam timing to everywhere else. I don't care about the rest of it. ;-)
    My goal is to eliminate IMRC for low end power and screw MPG. I want to prove IMRC is not what everyone thinks it is. It had never made sense to me until I learned about atkinson timing. A uereka! That I want to share and clear up misconceptions. That or have someone tell me NOPE with an explanation for IMRC/atkinson making more power than otto "down low".
    Last edited by murfie; 01-02-2016 at 01:54 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Snap-to-line defines borders to groups(beginning and end of a line) of snap-to-points. Its that simple.

Snap-to-points are chunks of MPs That have greater influence over each other such as when array points Leap from one point to another.

Build any Array you want from enabled MPs just put groups of snap points near array leap points and define the leap lines in snap to line tables.

An Example: optimal stability mapped points array you have a leap from 0 to 22 and from 22 to 1. when leaping from 0 to 22 you jump from group 1 to 3. In the snap-to-line table jumping from 0 to 22 you look at surrounding points of 0 in group 1 to surrounding points of 22 in group three. 0 in First group touches 1. 1 touches 2. 2 3 and
    3 4. this shows HDFX a line so it can distribute weights. In Line three to get to 22 from 4 you have to start at 14 work up the points to 22.
    In the Fuel economy array theres a leap from 21 to 14 from one side of the group to the other. this is defined by the extra 21 14 points at the end of the group. first 21 is mid line second 21 is end of a line.

no need to define emissions reduction be cause its distance table doesnt move. Its just a point at 0.

There are 4 leaps in the two other tables so it has 4 defined lines.
    My best guess is HDFX just needs to know the most efficient path from point to point so Y axis is and Load scale of weight movement.

x axis would define from A and to B two points on a line.

The fuel economy array is used in both drivability and fuel economy distance tables.

Make sense? See the pattern?

stray snap to points dont need to be defined they are points not lines.
    Last edited by murfie; 01-07-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Knowing that the fuel economy array and stray snap to points are MPs that the heaviest weights fall on. You can tune all other parts of the tune that are mapped points based through these specific points to tune all throttle input and get the most results. For fine tuning after the Array points are tuned, tune the snap points near the Array points and further fine tuning go to the rest of the enabled MPs.

Senior Tuner
    Its easier than you think. You can record it in a log, that's the point of the scanner.
    Even in the scanner it's not easy to follow. Load is the demand of the engine. Vacuum is how the engine meets that demand. Less vacuum means a greater change in load. When load is stable vacuum is stable, but when load changes vacuum decreases then increases to a new value that New load requires. It's very dynamic and a lot harder to follow in the tune.
    Last edited by murfie; 01-02-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Even in the scanner it's not easy to follow. Load is the demand of the engine. Vacuum is how the engine meets that demand. Less vacuum means a greater change in load. When load is stable vacuum is stable, but when load changes vacuum decreases then increases to a new value that New load requires. It's very dynamic and a lot harder to follow in the tune.
    You record it in a histogram, you can do it. Besides, this might sound like sacrilege to you, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. My plan is not to massage the stock logic, it is to take it over completely. Haven't had time today to play with it. Maybe tomorrow.

Senior Tuner
    You record it in a histogram, you can do it. Besides, this might sound like sacrilege to you, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. My plan is not to massage the stock logic, it is to take it over completely. Haven't had time today to play with it. Maybe tomorrow.
    Hey if you want to modify these tables that's the reason they are there go for it. I just want to express the difficulty you will find in getting a histogram with any recognizable patterns. You need to limit external factors. A good constant load dyno while using the cruise control for throttle changes would give best results. The next best thing would be a long flat road on a day with out wind. Intake temperature would still be a factory in both cases. Denser cooler air would change the vacuum requirements for load changes and for constant loads.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Hey if you want to modify these tables that's the reason they are there go for it. I just want to express the difficulty you will find in getting a histogram with any recognizable patterns. You need to limit external factors. A good constant load dyno while using the cruise control for throttle changes would give best results. The next best thing would be a long flat road on a day with out wind. Intake temperature would still be a factory in both cases. Denser cooler air would change the vacuum requirements for load changes and for constant loads.
    yes, if you are going to work within the confines of the stock configuration.

I can simply make a configuration for idle, part throttle atkinson, part throttle otto, and OP and command it to run one of those 4 profiles and I'm done. IMRC closed under xxxx rpm and open above it.

Senior Tuner
    A good visual of snap to point and snap to line. our lines have a straight slope at any given point. So the snap to lines give bends and curves
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by murfie; 01-08-2016 at 08:05 PM.