Thread: s10 4.3 to 5.7 guidance

Potential Tuner

s10 4.3 to 5.7 guidance

Hey guys new here,

My name is Tony

Im hoping I can get some help here. I have a 97 S10 with a vortec 5.7 in it, and 0411 PCM. After dealing with two different tuners that cant figure out how to get this rig running I bought the VCM suite. My understanding is that this swap requires some segment modification and that's about it. I have no idea whats been done to my PCM and neither of the guys here that tuned it can answer my questions on whats been done.

Would anybody be able to give me a starting point on what to do with this truck. Im really looking forward to learning all about tuning, but for now I just need to get this engine running in stock configuration, which apparently the tuners I paid have no clue about.

Thanks guys

Tony

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 97zr2L31r View Post
    Hey guys new here,

My name is Tony

Im hoping I can get some help here. I have a 97 S10 with a vortec 5.7 in it, and 0411 PCM. After dealing with two different tuners that cant figure out how to get this rig running I bought the VCM suite. My understanding is that this swap requires some segment modification and that's about it. I have no idea whats been done to my PCM and neither of the guys here that tuned it can answer my questions on whats been done.

Would anybody be able to give me a starting point on what to do with this truck. Im really looking forward to learning all about tuning, but for now I just need to get this engine running in stock configuration, which apparently the tuners I paid have no clue about.

Thanks guys

Tony
    Sucks you've had a problem like that, the 0411 on a Vortec 5.7 is pretty simple. I used Brendan @ lt1swap.com for my tune and it's been flawless for the past 30k miles (and it was only $85). I'm having an issue now as you can see in my post above yours, but I don't think it's a tune problem,a s it's been fine until recently.

Is the Vortec 5.7 a stock engine, any modifications? What year is the engine from? What transmission are you running? Sounds to me like you would be better off finding a stock file for your vortec engine and corresponding year in the repository and unlock it. If your 0411 is compatible. Flash the whole file to your PCM under "write entire". Then you can disable the VATS just to get it running. From there on the fine tuning will need to be made.
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Quote Originally Posted by JHPerformance View Post
    Is the Vortec 5.7 a stock engine, any modifications? What year is the engine from? What transmission are you running? Sounds to me like you would be better off finding a stock file for your vortec engine and corresponding year in the repository and unlock it. If your 0411 is compatible. Flash the whole file to your PCM under "write entire". Then you can disable the VATS just to get it running. From there on the fine tuning will need to be made.
    I'm in a similar bind. Have my 96 5.7 Vortec installed and ready to go in a 99 ZR2 (originally 4.3 V6, 4L60E 4wd). Will fire and run on 6 cylinders right now, already wired for the 8. Just need to do the tune swap. I have a stock 98 5.7 tune from the repository, but when I do the file compare it shows me things on the compare that ARE NOT accessible through the menus (like, for instance General>Engine>number of cylinders that's obvious but I can't see to modify). They all have a big 12 by them (the things I can't see). So what do I do? License the 98 file and do write entire?

Jon
    Last edited by E55Amg; 03-17-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by E55Amg View Post
    I'm in a similar bind. Have my 96 5.7 Vortec installed and ready to go in a 99 ZR2 (originally 4.3 V6, 4L60E 4wd). Will fire and run on 6 cylinders right now, already wired for the 8. Just need to do the tune swap. I have a stock 98 5.7 tune from the repository, but when I do the file compare it shows me things on the compare that ARE NOT accessible through the menus (like, for instance General>Engine>number of cylinders that's obvious but I can't see to modify). They all have a big 12 by them (the things I can't see). So what do I do? License the 98 file and do write entire?

Jon
    I did find in the help menus that you can "copy over from compare file" in the comparison log. Is this a better way to do it? It would seem this would change the parameters that are needed without risking a VIN/OS/license incompatibility.

After some digging, I have finally completed writing a V8 tune to my V6 computer. For the benefit of those that may come after me:

Find a same year V8 tune in the repository (I have a 99 S10 ZR2, so I found a 99 Suburban 5.7 - ensure the transmissions match). License it (2 credits).
    Read the stock file from your vehicle, and license it as well (yes, 2 MORE credits).
    You should then be able to write the V8 tune to your V6 vehicle. This may not ALWAYS work, but it worked for me successfully.

Consider which MAF you are using (the one from the V8 or keeping your V6 one), use that MAF calibration table.

Advanced Tuner
    After some digging, I have finally completed writing a V8 tune to my V6 computer. For the benefit of those that may come after me:

Find a same year V8 tune in the repository (I have a 99 S10 ZR2, so I found a 99 Suburban 5.7 - ensure the transmissions match). License it (2 credits).
    Read the stock file from your vehicle, and license it as well (yes, 2 MORE credits).
    You should then be able to write the V8 tune to your V6 vehicle. This may not ALWAYS work, but it worked for me successfully.

Consider which MAF you are using (the one from the V8 or keeping your V6 one), use that MAF calibration table.
    You should not have to license both files. I segment swap in the Engine and Engine Diagnostic sections from the V8 tune with a matching operating system. I did a 2004 Astro Van 6.2L Mercruiser swap this way, using a Mexico GMT800 5.7 Vortec tune. I have also segment swapped a 4L80E into a 1999 4.3 Black Box tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    You should not have to license both files. I segment swap in the Engine and Engine Diagnostic sections from the V8 tune with a matching operating system. I did a 2004 Astro Van 6.2L Mercruiser swap this way, using a Mexico GMT800 5.7 Vortec tune. I have also segment swapped a 4L80E into a 1999 4.3 Black Box tune.
    Not only did I have to license both files, I then had to license the resultant "hybrid" to be able to continue adjusting the tune. So 6 credits total to do what I wanted. I'm imagine that is not the "only way" that this can be done, but it IS a way that I can confirm it "will" work.
    I am unfamiliar with segment swaps, what they entail and how to go about them. I am very interested to find out. If you would be willing to share the process I would love to hear about it, and will be doing my own searching on it to try to figure some things out. One thing that I do note is that you're talking about swapping a V8 to a V8 - which may (or may not?) use the same/similar operating system.

Advanced Tuner
    Not only did I have to license both files, I then had to license the resultant "hybrid" to be able to continue adjusting the tune. So 6 credits total to do what I wanted. I'm imagine that is not the "only way" that this can be done, but it IS a way that I can confirm it "will" work.
    I am unfamiliar with segment swaps, what they entail and how to go about them. I am very interested to find out. If you would be willing to share the process I would love to hear about it, and will be doing my own searching on it to try to figure some things out. One thing that I do note is that you're talking about swapping a V8 to a V8 - which may (or may not?) use the same/similar operating system.
    The 2004 Astro van swap was a 4.3 V6 to Mexico 5.7 V8 tune swap using matching operating systems. 6.2 Mercruiser is nothing more than a 350 Vortec with a 3.75" stroke, matching pistons, 395' marine cam and a L31 Marine intake.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...wapper-utility

Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    The 2004 Astro van swap was a 4.3 V6 to Mexico 5.7 V8 tune swap using matching operating systems. 6.2 Mercruiser is nothing more than a 350 Vortec with a 3.75" stroke, matching pistons, 395' marine cam and a L31 Marine intake.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...wapper-utility
    Ah, I was thinking that the Astro had a V8 option. So it clearly can be done with a segment swap, although as 2004 is a significantly better computer I wonder if that would work on my 99. Might be something I have to explore if/when I do another one. The utility talks about finding OS with the same identifier, was that difficult at all? Just went to the repository and found one?

Advanced Tuner
    Ah, I was thinking that the Astro had a V8 option. So it clearly can be done with a segment swap, although as 2004 is a significantly better computer I wonder if that would work on my 99. Might be something I have to explore if/when I do another one. The utility talks about finding OS with the same identifier, was that difficult at all? Just went to the repository and found one?
    I THINK HP Tuners has the option for segment swap on Black Box although I use TunerCats OBD2 to do Black Boxs' since it cost me nothing to do. I segment swapped a 2000 NBS 4.3 truck Black Box for a 4L80E using an Express van trans segment from a 5.7 tune.

Advanced Tuner
    I also segment swapped a L30 305 Van engine tune into my 1999 Tahoe and changed the rear o2/catalyst configuration to match the 350s when I swapped a cammed L30 in place of the broken L31.