Thread: LTFT B1 issues, and some knock. NEED HELP PLEASE!

Potential Tuner

LTFT B1 issues, and some knock. NEED HELP PLEASE!

Ok guys this is my first post here. Ive had hp tuners for a few months now and i just traded my turbo truck for a cammed 98 TA. it runs a little rough and definitley runs rich. for some reason my bank one ltft is always pegged idling and cruising. and ive noticed im getting some knock. i cant actually here any knock but i am getting in the scan.

I have no idea what cam is in it. im kind of wondering if i should just get a stock tune back in it and tune it my self. ive never tuned in anything but the walk throughs seem to be pretty on point and tuning for idle with a different cam. i feel like that put a cam in it and either didnt tune it right, or never tuned it at all.

There are no DTCs and no SES light. But i guess i didnt check to see if anything was covered. if they cover the code (check the box) does that mean it wont show up in the DTCs? or just that it wont show a CEL?

Anyway, i would really appreciate some tips and what you guys would do.

i have a scan i took a little while ago if you guys could look at it that would be great. Thanks

Also if there are any PIDs i need to add or delete from the config let me know please. im not sure what all i need on there

TA #1.hplTrans Am.cfg1st read.hpt
    Last edited by silveraydo; 12-28-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Also im trying to get it all nicely tuned because i need to know what my timing is at WOT, for some reason it doesnt seem consistent. Ive got 78mm Plate kit on the way with a LNC 2000 and i need to know how much timing i need to pull. Im planning on starting a thread about that in the N20 section

Potential Tuner
    justb compared my tune to a stock tune. Lots of diferences, unfortunatley i dont know what they change lol.

BUT i did notice in engine diagnostics>DTCs that they unchecked the SES boxes for 02 sensor issues and misfire issues. im guessing if i re check these boxes it will throw tons of these codes. im guessing my LTFT B1 issues is the 02 itself. just couldnt diagnose it because it was covered.

any input on this?

Potential Tuner
    After doing some research and comparing a stock tune file to mine it seems like the only codes im worried about are the p0171,p0172 and p0174, p0175 which are

" system to lean/rich bank1/2"
    im not sure why they would be set as 3- no error reporting

Like i said i just got the car and now that ive done some more research it seems like those 4 codes are odd to be "no error reporting" and its strange my Bank 1 fuel trim is so crazy.

im not sure why the rear O2s are tuned out because i really thought i still had cats. im going to check out everything under the car tomorrow.

i could really use some help. ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS?

Potential Tuner
    ok update time.

i checked resistance on all injectors, all right at 13 ohms

i checked the injectors with a metal rod while it was running, all smooth consistent clicking.

i know every injector harness is plugged in correctly and they were plugged in good before i took them off for resistance test.

coil harnesses are plugged in correctly, i tried to do some research on how to test the coil packs. nothing simple seem to come up with resistance test on the coils.

i changed the drivers side upstream O2 and it didnt do anything, still shows the O2 B1 reading very lean condition which is why i believe the LTFT B1 is pretty much always dumping 20% more fuel in at idle.

i have not checked the plugs yet. But a bad plug would cause a rich condition granted there was fuel getting into that cylinder correct?

Im starting to think maybe a vac leak??? im going to try spraying some carb cleaner around the intake o see if i get any fluctuations in idle. kind of hoping i do.

ALSO. AN THIS COULD BE HUGE OR MEAN NOTHING lol....the drivers side cat is removed and replaced with a piece of exhaust ( which has a leak...) the PASSENGER side cat is still on.

I agree that it was a hack tune. im not sure if it was custom or can tune but either way its not ok with me. My nitrous kit just showed up today and i need to get this crap fix to kill a mustang haha

im just trying to figure out if this is mechanical/electrical or a tuning issue, and being that its only showing the problems in bank 1 makes me think mechanical/electrical. once its fixed i will get it tuned properly.

would you guys uncover those codes and see what it throws....? im sure it will throw drivers side no doubt.

If anyone with good tuning experience could look over the tune and tell me if they see anything crazy that would be awesome