Thread: E40 ecm tach output reading off

Tuner in Training

E40 ecm tach output reading off

Im stumped. I've been searching for hours, and i've made about 15 different changes with my tune and nothing makes a bit of difference. I put an LS2 out of a 2006 GTO into a 1979 camaro. The ecm is an E40. 24x reluctor. the factory dash tach is for a V8. I had no tach movement when run off the tach output wire at the beginning so we had to use a pull up resistor ( i've tried, 300, 600, 4700, 10,000 ohm) and its the same no matter what. My RPM's are reading exactally half of what my VCM scanner is showing. I have tried changing the Hi/LO res from 2 all the way to 15, and its the same every time. I've done this several times with LS1 swaps and it works like a charm, this time it acts like my changes don't have any effect.

All the search info i could find was on the E38 ecm, not the E40. can anyone please help??

Tuner in Training
    From everything i have read, changing the values both to 3 should give me my 4 PPR that i need for the V8 tach. i have been making the changes and just writing the cal. do i need to do a write entire to get the actual signal to change?

Advanced Tuner
    Make the settings stock. Set your dash tach or signal box to 4 cylinder.

Tuner in Training
    I was trying to do this without buying a signal box, but it appears that's the direction we are going to have to go

Potential Tuner
    Did you ever get this issue solved?

I am running into the same issue with a 06 GTO Ls2 and an Autometer Gauge. The gauge can be adjusted using dopswitches between 1/2/3/4 pulses per rev. The gauge gets a strong signal (not improved with a pull-up) but no settings match up to the PCM output. I set about to adjust it with HPTuners but I dont see any response from ResolutionH/L changes. Stumped at this point, until I can get a scope on the signal.
    Last edited by AustinH; 06-18-2016 at 09:23 PM.

What's it showing vs. reality?

What pull up resistor values you have tried?

Is it ever right? i.e. wrong at low RPM's and closer at higher RPM's or anything like that?
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    Hi,

Here are a few samples:
    Tach (analog) / VCM
    500 / 820
    1000 / 1600
    2000 / 3150

Tach is set to 2 pulse per rev. Currently the tune is set for Frequency, 7/7 but there is no change in tach output with different high/low values. I have also tried crank and serial but thouse cause the tach to stop working. I am using a 1k pull up, but the signal was strong without it (and the same value) so I dont think it was required, still in the car though. My next step is to borrow a scope and try to see exactly what the tach output is.

So pretty much low by factor of 1.6 everywhere. At least it's consistent I suppose.

You may have answered this already but where are you getting the tach signal from? I used one of the coil wires + a 1K pull up resistor earlier on a shift light and it worked (E40 also).

Potential Tuner
    Hey Guys,

I am still struggling with this issue, its the last thing to wrap up on my swap. I am using teh factory ECM output, pin 48. The signal is strong but i cant get it to line up right with my autometer tach, the signal does NOT respond to reprogramming with HP Tuners. I tried wiring into a coil signal wire but that didnt work either.

Im about to give up and go with a autometer tach adatper but I was really hoping to not do this.

-Austin