Thread: New to hptuners

Potential Tuner

New to hptuners

Hi,
    New to the forum and tuning.
    Im wanting to take the plunge and buy hptuners, i have a lsj with a zzp 2.9 pulley, option b etc. I still have a lot of reading to do imo.
    Am I right in thinking once i buy hptuners i will be able to download tune files close to my setup as a base that i can tweak and edit to suit my car.
    Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks

You could download similar files to compare with, yes. But you never ever want to write a tune from someone else into your vehicle. You could brick the computer and really screw your day up, it would also cost you more credits to do this and thats not what you want.

Say after you get setup, you can find similar files and compare the tunes side by side with the editor. You could use data from another tune to put into yours if you wished but you better make sure that what you are using is correct. Otherwise you could hurt the motor very easy.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    That makes sense, thanks for the reply.
    Are they available through the hptuners website?

Advanced Tuner
    in the costumer page you will find the link for thre tune repository and there you can download tunes from other cars/tuners but just
    to compare and to get some clues about them never load another car tune in your PCM and some folks around are very please to deal with ... take it slow and read all you can before making serius mods to your tune
    all the way from Tampico bay Mexico

You will find many around here just like to blow their own horn and talk about how good they are and how they have found all this power but yet never give any help or share any tunes. You will actually find a lot more help on the efi live forum then around here. I wish I had bought there stuff after seeing how things work around here now.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't posted here for awhile because of comments like that. If I'm reading it wrong please correct me as I mean this in no rude way. How do people toot their own horn on power? In fact, most of the power that was ever unlocked was unlocked a long time ago. Unlocking the power isn't the issue. Any person with the program can do that. It's about having an optimum running tune while running that extra power. How many people can do that? How many people actually know what to look for, for that safe tune? As for sharing tunes, do people really learn from posted tunes? No they copy. Yes you could learn from them, but how many just grab the tune and go. How many people actually understand what they are looking at when they look at the tune? How many people will only use a couple table they think they understand but then fail to grab the info needed from the other tables to make it work? How many will snag tables and not realizes that it doesn't match their mods, their car, their atmospheric conditions? I'm sorry but way too much comes into the game of tuning for me to just hand over a file over HPT forums. I'm sure you meant that comment with no disrespect, so please do not think that my response is me trying to be a d*ck. If I misunderstood something please correct me. It's the people that said the things you said, but acted like a d*ck and like they were all high and mighty, that made me stop posting. I used to stay up late hours just to help people, but I got sick of the crap. In fact I have still helped people out offline, so I haven't given up on people, I just didn't want to deal with the BS of the jerks on the forum. Also for the record, I am not tooting my own horn, I just know what I know and I'm sure others know things I don't know.

There are a lot of people that just brag on there "skills" and ask them for pointers or guidence and they cut and paste some big load of engineered answer from some other web site. I have seen it so warning him not to expect much around here. As far as sharing and cut and pasting tunes no they won't learn I didn't learn that way I did it pretty much on my own with a lot of hard work and reading all over the web but I still share anything as I know how bad it was to struggle through this with no help other then what I mentioned and it was very aggervating. My car is fast for what it is and I will give any one my tune I don't care what they do with it just explain if I think it will work as is or not for there conditions and setup or what not to change and to change for them. That is helping people here. Explaining in real terms people understand on what each table does so they can fine tune it. Not much is needed on these to make power and the ltg like mine to date is the hardest to tune by far over the early cobalt or soltice style ecm. But yet I can easily explain it to where most people can figure it out quickly with common sense descriptions. No engineer style explanations needed no one really needs to know all that as u can read it all over the web but cannot read what it takes to make a good adjustment. Where help comes in handy to get you on the right track. Not being a dick to anyone but have been treated that way from a lot of high and mighty tuners but yet never seen their car or their tunes showing any of this knowledge they claim to have. Not a single time slip just all talk. And that is why I warned him and anyone that reads this being new to this site. I have probably send out 20 tunes to guys and just about every one of them thanked me one guy even sent me a brand new ecm for the help and I asked for nothing. I don't help for that but that's how much some people appreciate real help.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    I know what you are saying when it comes to big engineering answers that do not help, but spoon feeding people doesn't help either. Showing them the path and giving them some things to test out so they can find the path is a lot better in my opinion. Example: Bill telling people to take their spark table and past it into their op spark and then add 5 to ever table and test, and then do the same thing except add 15 and test again. That isn't exactly how he said it but it was a way of explaining it without giving details. Me staying up until late hours of the night to draw out exactly how the spark and fuel are patterned in these cars without giving my tables away is stuff that helps others. I'm sorry but if you just want me to post my stuff then you aren't learning everything you can personally. A lot of testing goes with all of this to fully understand everything. For instance, my spark and op spark tables are probably like nothing you'll see others do. It's just what I do.

As for power, like I said, that means nothing. Almost all of the power in these cars were unlocked a long time ago. My goal is to make the car run as perfect and as optimum as possible, not get every piece of power while sacrificing reliability. Example: GMTech actually mentioned once a while back about how someone wanted a lopey idle, but that was a bad idea. He goes further into explaining how the old cam'd cars had a lopey idle but they were actually running like crap at idle in order to get more power later in the power band. With technology, we don't have to sacrifice reliability to try and squeeze out most power. In fact stock is a horrible setup to some degree. It's a horrible design, but hey had to create something that could drive in all conditions because it's a car sold in so many places. As for running optimum, stock is horrible.

Since I'm not on here much anymore, I hope you guys all at least learn something from what I just put. If you guys want to assume I'm crazy and wrong, then I'll leave the forums for good. I no longer own my LNF, so helping this community of 4 cylinders does not benefit me in any way, other then I do remember what it was like to start out and I do enjoy helping a lot.

Don't forget explaining exactly how to eliminate false knock in less than 5 min (v6 and v8 forums think false kr is normal - sound familair), how the PID tables work, how the OT table is only a limiter, how all the tables are interrelated, how MikeM told people how to adjust OS to still make your cruise control functional because if all out response for racing wasn't your goal, vvt tables, blahblahblah.

Funny how something in the air triggers you to look back on this forum.

FYI, those threads are still up. Search.

MinDKillA - Cobaltssoverbooster (CSSOB) should have a ton of great info on here. Search all his threads. Dude really knows what's up with the LSJ.