Thread: Opinions? - Aftermarket Intakes

Opinions? - Aftermarket Intakes

I'm hearing that some after market intake manifolds for LS engines (like an '09 5.3L in a GM pickup) generally provides around a 20 HP gain.

I'm considering doing this and then getting a tune to tweak it all out, so what do you guys think is the best aftermarket intake to consider?

What do you drive?

A NNBS or TBSS intake is a good upgrade from the 99-07 NBS intake on the trucks. Fast intakes/ holly high rams and so on are going to be worse for just about everthing that isn't making huge power. Otherwise there is no need to upgrade the 07.5-13 intake manifolds on the trucks, just swap out the intake tube to a airaid unit.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I have an 09 Colorado with the 5.3L

Looks like the best one for a stock LS engine would be the FAST LSXR 102mm (my OEM unit is the Trail Blazer SS, or TBSS) based on the testing found at - http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...nifolds-tested

Now, if I can just get a hold of some cash the wife doesn't know I have

I'll change it just because the stock TBSS is butt ugly!

There is dyno testing (by third parties not selling anything to anyone) to prove it will increase about 20 horses on a stock engine, so that's icing on the cake when getting rid of the butt ugly OEM intake.

Besides, it's not like it's a lot of money or anything.
    Last edited by Rockrz; 12-26-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Not worth the upgrade unless you plan to go all out with this. Like big cam and bigger cylinder heads.

You'll likely not even gain the maybe 20hp in the ideal conditions. $1,000 for ~20hp isnt worth the cost.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

With a good tune, there will be a little bump in horses.. besides, it's worth the cost to me to get rid of that butt ugly stock intake!