Thread: 8.1 electronic throttle scaling

Potential Tuner

8.1 electronic throttle scaling

Got an 01 Yukon with an 8.1 in it. Going in and tweaking the tune to my liking. I read that the electronic throttle is real lazy in them from the factory and would like to make it act more like a cable throttle.
    I can't find any solid info on which tables to adjust though. I think I see where but also see the warning about killing my ecu so I don't want to go blindly messing with stuff. Any insight? Thanks in advance for any help

Senior Tuner
    ETC opening rate table probably. I know you have my number. Shoot me a text, I'll help you. Or email the file and I'll send back screen shots.

Potential Tuner
    Sweet thank you Mike. After the holiday I'll hit you up. There's no particular rush. With all the torque management off it made a huge difference already

Tuner in Training
    if you dont mind sharing i also have an 8.1 that has a lazy pedal if you dont mind sharing the ect rate thanks.
    2003 swb single cab
    lq4 6.0 243 heads mill .30
    comp cam 224/228
    1 7/8 lt headers
    fast 36LB injectors
    4l80e swap 3500 circle d converter

Senior Tuner
    Just set it to 100 in the entire table. The table is under Engine - Torque Management - General - ETC TPS Max. The description reads "ETC TPS Max vs. RPM vs. % Max Available Torque: This is the maximum allowed ETC throttle percent based on the current percentage of torque being delivered. The PCM uses this to limit the ETC opening rate to maintain traction."

After that, disable the PE delay under Engine - Fuel - Power Enrich - PE Delay...set the RPM to something below your idle speed, and the delay time to 0. Set the Enrichment Ramp In in the same place to 1.0, and then make sure the PE Throttle/Pedal Hot and Cold tables have reasonable values in them...for a stockish engine, 60-65% is fine.

Set the max torque vs gear and vs rpm however you want (I'd max them out so the ETC stays open), keeping in mind that I don't know what kind of shape your transmission is in...so if it's in bad shape, don't do that until you repair/upgrade it to tolerate the abuse. I also max out the other stuff in the engine torque management section as well.

I still allow the PCM to pull power during a shift in the trans torque management, but when it's in gear, I let it make all it's got.

If you're still not happy, you can disable burst knock retard by maxing out the Enable Delta Cyl Air table, but if the tune isn't spot on, and you have crappy plugs in there, it might need burst knock retard or it'll knock...same for crappy gas, I wouldn't disable that if it's on 87-89 octane.

After that, you've just gotta do like everyone teaches to dial in VE/MAF and then maybe adjust the main spark table to find some more torque.

Remember that when you look at the main advance table in a truck, the PCM is also adding advance based on the AFR adder...they use this because of PE delay...so when you stab the throttle, it'll get X advance...then as PE slowly adds fuel, it'll add in advance to match it. When you remove the PE delay table, the AFR adder table still works, and still adds advance, it just adds it instantly...so don't command say 32 degrees in the main table if you want 32 degrees...look at the PE EQ ratio you're commanding, see what that AFR table would add, then subtract that from what you want and put the difference in the main table...OR you could tune it like the cars and zero out the AFR table, and just use the main table...they do that in the cars because the cars don't use PE delay.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    thanks i got the 8.1 with zf 6 speed standard and im running in sd mode i never tried maxing out the delta cyl air. i will try that tommorow. thank you for taking time to help.
    2003 swb single cab
    lq4 6.0 243 heads mill .30
    comp cam 224/228
    1 7/8 lt headers
    fast 36LB injectors
    4l80e swap 3500 circle d converter