Thread: 1220hp E40 5400rpm 130hp power loss! Pleas help

Potential Tuner

1220hp E40 5400rpm 130hp power loss! Pleas help

Hi Everyone,
    I have this nagging dip in power with my TT corvette. The car makes great power, runs great (minus feeling the dip at WOT) I've tried a million different things to fix the problem but I simply can't find where the problem lives.
    First I'll explain what I've tried:
    timing adjustment (higher and lower) in this spot. No change
    fuel adjustments (leaner and richer) current AFR 11.65. No change
    I tune the car myself but I've had 3 other tuners look at the logs and current tune and we can't find an error.
    Different intakes. No change
    Different exhaust manifolds. No change
    Measured back pressure (pre and post turbos) all within reason.
    Information:
    It looses 100whp and 130ft lbs of tq
    It is always at the same RPM.
    It did it with my old 408 and different cam/heads
    Currently still does it with my 426lsx
    Boost is solid (no dips or spikes)
    Zero spark knock
    AFR is solid
    The dip only noticeable above 1000hp.
    I'm running the stock E40 ECU. I think I'm one of the few and maybe the highest with this 1 off GM computer. Maybe it's a problem but we can't find it?
    Any thoughts?

1200hp dip.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Don't see anything glaring......Dyno issue?

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Don't see anything glaring......Dyno issue?

Ed M
    I don't think so. You can hear it and see it in the log in the cell counts. I also use virtual dyno on the street and it shows the same problem in the same spot.

stick an old fashioned timing light on there during the run... also hose clamp up a thermocouple to the header
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    stick an old fashioned timing light on there during the run... also hose clamp up a thermocouple to the header
    I would really want to see actual timing like 10_SS said. Where is the wide band located? I would want to see what each bank was doing at the time of the power loss too.

Tuning Addict
    Is it dropping a cylinder or at least feel or sound like it is? Only things I can see in the data log is that the issue happens at peak boost where it looks like it's making right around 22psi. What happens if you pull back boost a little? I assume your using a boost controller? At this same time your fueling leans out .3 from commanded = shouldn't be anything to worry about, but it does go from rich (11.2) to leaner (11.9) when the problem occurs? Again, wouldn't think it to be anything to worry about... Obviously engines are different. Were any mechanical parts reused between the two besides the turbo setup such as ignition components?

Other than this and since it happens at the same rpm every time and peak boost happens here, wondering if it's hitting some sort of built in limit withen the ecm?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

It's getting close to the MAP limit but I don't see it ever hitting 255kpa

Would be interesting to reduce boost a few psi just to see what happens