Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZR1 Meth tune opinions

I wasn't really interested on who did the pro-tune,just letting you know that Jeremy set mine up to give you an idea about where the gain might work for you since Jeremy has a lot of experience. My system is hooked into the MAF. I don't know a whole lot about tuning but i think my PE table was adjusted on mine also. I too have an E-Force,gald to hear to still looked new after the 3 years.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    On mine I took some out of the VE table where the meth comes in to try to keep the AFR from dipping too much. It makes the VE table look weird but it works pretty consistently so I've been OK with it. My alky control kit is triggered by boost (not MAF), so that is why it works consistently

Looks like this tuner tried to do the same just via the MAF table instead of VE. I don't think that's a good way of doing it unless you're triggering the meth from the MAF sensor. Otherwise it's not consistent enough to work IMO

I would go back to stock TB and see if that helps

For that to work wouldn't you have to disable the MAF sensor
    Isn't all the fueling based on the MAF sensor when you are at high rpm? Besides this pro tuner disabled speed density altogether.

I'm running speed density only, no MAF. Not uncommon on supercharged applications

Not saying you can't run the MAF.. just get the MAF based controller for the meth system at least

Not sure which way the ZR1 throttle blade opens but I was having a similar problem in my Z06 with REP and limp modes. After changing out the throttle body sensor and gas pedal sensor to no avail, I tried mounting my nozzle below the TB vs. on the side. It fixed the problem. Not sure if I had turbulence or interference with the blade but I have heard a few others fixed this problem by doing this. I have my nozzle mounted in the coupler about 2-3 inches from the TB...your may be mounted differently.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ttz06vette View Post
    Not sure which way the ZR1 throttle blade opens but I was having a similar problem in my Z06 with REP and limp modes. After changing out the throttle body sensor and gas pedal sensor to no avail, I tried mounting my nozzle below the TB vs. on the side. It fixed the problem. Not sure if I had turbulence or interference with the blade but I have heard a few others fixed this problem by doing this. I have my nozzle mounted in the coupler about 2-3 inches from the TB...your may be mounted differently.
    This is actually an interesting point. The meth nozzle is only ever supposed to be mounted at either the 12 or 6 o'clock positions for equal distribution into the intake or blower... I think this is actually in the alky control instructions. Never heard of it causing TB codes, but heck if it's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that anything's possible... Still think it's the MAF, but? If your friend keeps this setup, he might want to talk to Schpenxel for his timing pulling safety device for meth kits... Of course with meth failure in his, it may just be so lean that it'll just spit and sputter from being so lean? I only ever setup meth systems to go 1 +/- .3 points richer than commanded when spraying, but that's me? I know there's plenty out there that run them really really rich with meth. I've never seen any benefit from doing this myself even with any added or removed timing from it?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    I really just want to put the tune I had for him back in it and then tune it for the methanol. He invested a lot in that tune so he won't be happy about it. That dissonance thing you know. If you paid for it you feel like you want to use it.
    Bryan

Complete wrong way to go about pulling injector out to compensate for methanol injection. It is basically saying that there is less airflow entering the engine which screws with the airflow model which affects delivered engine torque as well as cylinder airmass for spark table lookups.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

How would you do it?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Complete wrong way to go about pulling injector out to compensate for methanol injection. It is basically saying that there is less airflow entering the engine which screws with the airflow model which affects delivered engine torque as well as cylinder airmass for spark table lookups.
    Exactly what I told him.
    Last edited by ZO6_Bryan; 12-21-2015 at 07:12 PM.
    Bryan

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    How would you do it?
    The right way ;-)

Thank you for your insight

PE and/or BE. You simply command less fuel... reasoning? Because you know the airflow model you have constructed is the same or similar but you want less injector so command less. This way the airflow model stays consistent and "characterized". Some bigger setups with big twin nozzle setups I've done has gone down to as low as 1.00 Commanded lambda under boost to achieve desired actual AFR. You obviously wont be able to use your normal copy/paste error this way but it is the only way to keep consistent fueling (or as consistent as it can be).

Personally what I do now is leave it rich so if/when the meth kit fails there is still fuel there delivered from the injectors. On stock ECM the best method is to use DSteck's E85 tricker box to activate E85 content when the meth kit pressurizes which then gives you the ability to pull fuel and add timing with the safety of fail safe back to normal non meth injected mode if the meth kit doesn't pressurize.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400