Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015+ Colorado and Canyon Tuning

2015+ Colorado and Canyon Tuning

This thread will be used for LFX tuning in the new mid-size trucks, and hopefully will generate some discussion on how to improve over the factory tune.

I started with the PIP5303A update and then:
    - massaged the Driver Demand tables,
    - raised the rev limiter in 1st gear,
    - tweaked the WOT cam phasing (way less retarded, physically speaking),
    - added 5% to the MAF (for an aftermarket intake),
    - smoothed the PE table, and
    - increased the transmission shift points both low and high speeds (you can get into serious trouble now).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by motorheadmike; 12-12-2015 at 07:08 PM.
    '15 Colorado Z71 | '07 TrailBlazer SS | '87 Monte Carlo SS | '80 Lemans Wagon

Tuner in Training
    Be nice to see more info on tuning these.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate lsx tuning View Post
    ....I agree mate, does anyone have any Tuning Guidelines or info on these cars..
    It shouldn't be much different from 3.6 Camaros and so forth. I haven't had time to tinker with mine yet.

diesel canyon or regular one ?

Adjusted the TCC to engage much later in all gears (and not at all in 1st or 2nd). The vehicle is much smoother to operate in stop and go now. Pulls hard to 6750rpm.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    wich cold air are u using im searching for one for a 2016 colorado for a costumer
    all the way from Tampico bay Mexico

eBay knock-off of the K&N.

Tuner in Training
    I gave your transmission setting a whirl in my Canyon, so far much better, no more upshifting at trying to pull at 900 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by CMillet86 View Post
    I gave your transmission setting a whirl in my Canyon, so far much better, no more upshifting at trying to pull at 900 rpm.
    Hey, glad to hear it! I know my wife is much happier without the trans dragging the motor down.

FYI... for those that may blindly change the VVT cam settings in your tune to the ones posted in this thread, I just tested those settings back to back on the dyno, and it is a substantial loss in power and major loss in torque. Made a couple pulls with those settings, and they all had the exact same results.
    Blue run is the one with the posted VVT settings, red is stock VVT settings.
    2015 Colorado Z71 3.6L
    dynorunShare (6).png
    Last edited by veee8; 08-01-2016 at 02:24 PM.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veee8 View Post
    FYI... for those that may blindly change the VVT cam settings in your tune to the ones posted in this thread, I just tested those settings back to back on the dyno, and it is a substantial loss in power and major loss in torque. Made a couple pulls with those settings, and they all had the exact same results.
    2015 Colorado Z71 3.6L
    dynorunShare (6).png
    Good information.

2015 Colorado Z71 3.6L
    dynorunShare (6).png
    Interesting. Was this stock for stock, or did the vehicle tested have the other modifications I listed?

I looked at the calculated airflow gains when I scanned it in my truck and noticed a marginal improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    Good information.
    Partially.
    Last edited by motorheadmike; 08-04-2016 at 12:50 PM.

This truck was equipped with a K&N CAI.
    Not sure how you can say the info I posted was partially good. I provided real data that those settings do not work, not just "marginal calculated airflow gains".....
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

This truck was equipped with a K&N CAI.
    Not sure how you can say the info I posted was partially good. I provided real data that those settings do not work, not just "marginal calculated airflow gains".....
    So what does work? I ask because you must have found settings that do work better while on the dyno, right? And if so, why not share them and provide a complete answer (rather than a partial one)?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by motorheadmike View Post
    So what does work? I ask because you must have found settings that do work better while on the dyno, right? And if so, why not share them and provide a complete answer (rather than a partial one)?
    Not speaking for veee8, but just letting you know. He might not post up a tune file sharing his work(time), being that he is a shop and has much time and money invested into what he does.

Advanced Tuner
    Also - really, all that @veee8 said was that the stock settings produce better results than the modified settings. He never said that he has better settings, just that you're better off leaving them stock based on his dyno tests.

I think that is very valuable and complete information...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    Not speaking for veee8, but just letting you know. He might not post up a tune file sharing his work(time), being that he is a shop and has much time and money invested into what he does.
    I fully understand that, which is why his condescending/undermining tone is not in the least bit helpful. Moreover, it doesn't do anything for the community or for moving things forward with respect to open source tuning. It only serves his interest in making money through business by disproving the work of others without providing specific guidance.

That being said, I took the opportunity to go back and review the files posted here and the tune loaded in my wife's truck, and he is right those were the wrong cam tables. There must have been an issue when I was using the 3.0 Beta (or I simply uploaded the wrong files) as the cam tables are more akin to those in the LFX Camaro; which I am going to assume has different cam specs than the trucks. But, that information is nowhere to be found - strange considering the number of these engines on the road today.

I'll revisit this when I have time; too busy getting ready for Drag Week right now.

any update on this ?
    why you didnt update other pattern (a,b,hot ?) in TCC and shift ?

When you say "added 5% to the MAF (for an aftermarket intake)" what table are you talking about and what is the improvement?
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Advanced Tuner
    He's talking about the MAF Calibration "Airflow vs. frequency" table. Typically, you modify that table to account for increased airflow due to air intake modifications. You would do this if you find that your fuel trims are too far off after modifying the air intake.