Thread: posted tune

Potential Tuner

posted tune

Hello-
    Brand new here, don't even have the unit yet. I've found a trans tune for a Malibu with the same powertrain as my G6 that I'd like to try. If I like it I'm good, if not I'm thinking a starting point anyway. My question is, can I grab it from the posting and just change to vin and so forth, or would I need to rewrite mine to match?

Thanks!

To not screw yourself or cost yourself anything more, you would only want to copy over anything you wish to change.

It would be wise to use the compare feature to make sure that everything is actually the same between the two different cars. It may have the same drivetrain but certain things inside the "tune" itself can be different.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Like mentioned above, in order to apply a tune from a different car (different ECM actually), you would need to buy an additional license for that tune. So like mentioned above, you'd want to copy over the changes you want to make to your tune file. There could be a LOT of differences even thought it's the same powertrain. You could even have setting that exist in one tune and not in the other. You need to be very careful when using tune values from another vehicle.

Do not start just writing other tunes, or you'll waste 2 credits every time.. assuming it even works

Use the compare feature to go through and make changes to your stock tune instead.

Make all changes to the file (tune) you pull out of the PCM (computer) located in your car, the car you want to
    tune. The file you flash back into your car after making revisions should always be a revision of the file that
    originated in that specific PCM. Otherwise you risk ruining the PCM in your car.

Comparing difference between tuning files will allow you to clone the tune of the car with the drivetrain similar
    to yours, however unless it has the same version of PCM some of the tables will be different and impact the
    tuning of the motor differently. Every few years GM improved their PCM and these different versions of PCMs
    contain slightly different internal coding structure although quite similar in most cases.

it would be best if you would buy one of the GM EFI TUNING books to learn how to tune the correct way, using
    a wide band oxygen sensor or just save your money and have a professional tuner tune your car. Unless you
    are willing to spend $750 on wide band with controller and several books and/or DVDs you would be money
    ahead paying a professional tuner to do this for you.

It is nice, however, to have the ability to tune you car yourself periodically whenever you add new
    performance components to your motor over time, since most of us cannot afford to install all of these items at the same time. Even if it were your intention to do so, you will always come up with another enhancement you want to try eventually. Just be aware that to learn to tune on your own is going to take some time and effort to learn what you're doing.
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 01-05-2016 at 02:06 PM.