Thread: 04 sierra pcm will only command up to 32 g/sec at idle

Advanced Tuner

04 sierra pcm will only command up to 32 g/sec at idle

Tuning an 04 sierra denali with a swapped ls3 and whipple with 90mm throttle body. PCM will only command up to 32 g/sec at idle but desired will go much higher. Even with RTT if I command higher than 32 g/sec in the base running airflow table the scanner will only show a max of 32 in the "idle base PN airflow" and "idle base gear airflow" PIDs. Whatever the difference is between the desired airflow and commanded airflow values the computer has to add with idle trims. So the blade will physically go open more it just will not preemptively add the air but choses to have to learn to add more. Something has to be limiting it even though the base running table is set higher than 32. This creates a problem at cold engine temps, when I put in gear the engine bogs and has to add with trims. Why will the pcm not command more than 32 g/sec? This PCM acts goofy. I also noticed when I adjust the throttle scalar for the 90mm TB the PCM will not add follower or cracker. The scanner shows they are being added but in fact the throttle body blade/ tps indicate none is actually being added. The rpms drop till the STIT catches up. What gives? I attached the tune but not sure if it will tell you anything.

Don't mind the WOT stuff, the maf is maxed and he's only running a 1 bar for now.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Advanced Tuner
    Figured it out. No need for help as usual.

So....what was the issue? Might help someone else in the future.

Advanced Tuner
    So from what I can see the PCM is hard coded or there is a glitch in the PCM to hpt crossover. I can only get it to command 32 no matter what I do. By scaling the tb I'm able to trick the PCM into thinking it wants less air gaining me resolution on my base running airflow table. In reality it is just opening the blade more since it thinks the tb is smaller. Since stits would always allow the desired amount to be obtained I knew the blade could and would open more if I could just scale it.
    Last edited by GPGTP; 12-04-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Going the other way on the scaler prevented cracker and follower from even working at all. Some of the os years are goofy. Never had this issue in a c5 of the same year
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85