Thread: 87 cadillac 5.3l swap fuel pump issue starts and revs up to 5000rpm at idle

87 cadillac 5.3l swap fuel pump issue starts and revs up to 5000rpm at idle

I put a 5.3l in a 1987 cadillac brougham with the stock 200r4 with a aftermarket fuel pump when I start it up it will rev all the way up to 5000-6000 rpm with out giving it any gas is there anything I can do to dumb down the fuel pump signal so it can at least idle I don't think I should change anything as spark should I ?

The fuel pump won't make the motor race all the way to redline, you have a different issue here.

What year motor and computer are you using?? Is it drive by cable or drive by wire??

I bet if you started it and held the throttle body shut, it would idle like normal on a cable TB.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Well I work at a junk yard and it's a 2002 or 2003 core that got dropped off I went threw with a 99 silverado computer with all the files loaded onto it from a 2002 it's got a drive by cable throttle body and I test ran it with some shitty buick 3800 fuel pump I dropped in a can and got it to idle just fine but when I ran the fuel pump that was rated at only 55 psi it would start and I could watch the fuel pressure spike up to 77, 90 and a few times 120 psi and I played around in the fuel to try and cut it down put it would still want to idle at like 2300 rpm

Does anyone know what could make the idle want to spike so high ??????

Senior Tuner
    Air. RPMs can't increase without air.

Well could my air inlet temp sensor or map sensor be bad ????? Plus my o2 ssensors arnt plugged in right now