Thread: Frustrating Flat Spot/Popping Through Intake

Tuner

Frustrating Flat Spot/Popping Through Intake

2001 LS1 6 speed 228/232 cam stock intake and throttle body has a slight flat spot off idle and eventually will pop through the intake.
    Ive added fuel and tried different things and it doesnt change.VU SS Ute BLK SD.hptNeil VU POP.hpl

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmonaro View Post
    2001 LS1 6 speed 228/232 cam stock intake and throttle body has a slight flat spot off idle and eventually will pop through the intake.
    Ive added fuel and tried different things and it doesnt change.VU SS Ute BLK SD.hptNeil VU POP.hpl
    Anyone ?

Tuning Addict
    If it's not a broke valve spring, bent valve or something of that nature, I would try injection timing. Just a heads up though... It shouldn't be popping through the intake with anything tune related. Now if it's popping through the exhaust, then yes injection timing for your cam. Your most likely looking at valve train, wrong mechanical timing or screwed up map or something like that.

I know it doesn't help much, but should at least give you something to look at? Then I guess a simple question. When did this start? Right after the cam install? Or out of the blue just recently? Just some thoughts...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

If you don't find any mechanical problems you might check and make sure your fuel pressure isn't dropping (fuel system troubles)

Advanced Tuner
    What LSA is the cam? Popping through the intake could be a lean condition

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    If it's not a broke valve spring, bent valve or something of that nature, I would try injection timing. Just a heads up though... It shouldn't be popping through the intake with anything tune related. Now if it's popping through the exhaust, then yes injection timing for your cam. Your most likely looking at valve train, wrong mechanical timing or screwed up map or something like that.

I know it doesn't help much, but should at least give you something to look at? Then I guess a simple question. When did this start? Right after the cam install? Or out of the blue just recently? Just some thoughts...
    Brand new valve springs were installed when the cam went in. Doesnt miss at idle, goes hard past flat spot and revs to 6900rpm easily

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    What LSA is the cam? Popping through the intake could be a lean condition
    228/232 597 lift 112 LSA
    I richened it up everywhere thinking the same thing myself and it made no difference at all.
    What i did find is the timing retards as soon as you put your foot down on the throttle at around 1200-1500rpm and it will come down to 15 degrees or less and i am commanding it to have around 35 degrees in that area.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmonaro View Post
    228/232 597 lift 112 LSA
    I richened it up everywhere thinking the same thing myself and it made no difference at all.
    What i did find is the timing retards as soon as you put your foot down on the throttle at around 1200-1500rpm and it will come down to 15 degrees or less and i am commanding it to have around 35 degrees in that area.
    What do your plugs look like? They look lean/rich?
    No idea on the timing without seeing the tune. Could be anything though.. Torque management, timing table, etc.

Tuner
    Plugs are clean and nice colour around electrode and a bit rich on the base which is what i expected because i richened it up quite alot.
    Tune and log is at top of page. All torque management is zeroed

Tuner

Tune/Log

Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    What do your plugs look like? They look lean/rich?
    No idea on the timing without seeing the tune. Could be anything though.. Torque management, timing table, etc.
    Neil VU Adapt change idle.hplVU SS Ute BLK SD.hpt