Thread: Cobalt LNF STFT woes

Tuner in Training

Cobalt LNF STFT woes

Hello and thank you for looking at my thread.

I have been doing TONS of reading and experimenting with tuning on my recently acquired 2009 Cobalt SS.

I basically followed Backyardturbo_FTW and cobaltssoverbooster guides on how to dial in the MAF. ***THANK YOU TWO for all the great guides!***

My thought was to make my main focus getting my trims dialed in.

I thought I had it pretty good. 3 days of logging and I had things nailed down to ~-3 STFT so I thought.

Today I fire up my car and boom suddenly it's more around -18. I made ZERO changes to the tune. In fact I haven't flashed anything to my car since I was averaging around -3.

This has happened to me before with this car when trying to get things dialed in trim wise.

I have removed and inspected every element of my intake piping and did a check for vacuum / boost leaks.

I had a brand new MAF sitting here handy incase this happened again. I threw the new OEM one in and it made zero change.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to things I might check? My logic says if I had a post maf leak wouldn't I see positive trims since unmetered air was getting in?

I am wondering if my primary o2 sensor is failing?

If you guys have any input I would greatly appreciate it.

See the two logs + my current tune.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    10' CTS-V A6. 2.4 upper, ID850, Airraid, Headers, Catless X.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I had this problem a while ago and I changed out the O2 sensor. The sensor actually wasn't bad, but I had found the previous owner had added an extension, so it wasn't getting the appropriate airflow. Might not be a bad idea to change out the O2 sensor. Also, what has the weather been doing near you? This is a tricky time of year where fuel trims can be a little tougher to dial in, since it can be cold one day and warm the next.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriebs View Post
    Yeah, I had this problem a while ago and I changed out the O2 sensor. The sensor actually wasn't bad, but I had found the previous owner had added an extension, so it wasn't getting the appropriate airflow. Might not be a bad idea to change out the O2 sensor. Also, what has the weather been doing near you? This is a tricky time of year where fuel trims can be a little tougher to dial in, since it can be cold one day and warm the next.
    Sorry for my slow response. I assumed I would get an email notification for any responses here.

I think you're right. The weather has been ~40 degrees and dry with the good logs for days then when it went to crap it was a rainy PACNW day.

I have noticed that the humidity plays a huge factor with my car.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that +- 3% just isn't going to happen here with my car.

I have settled for +- 10%.

When it's wet and rainy it hoovers near -10%. When it's dry it hoovers around +10%

I just don't know any way to get this range any tighter since this car doesn't have a humidity sensor.

The temps from dry to wet have been generally pretty close so I don't think temp can be the issue.

I did pick up a new oem O2 sensor since they're relatively cheap for our cars *thank goodness* but haven't installed it yet.

I watch the PCM's AFR readings on my RPD and my AEM at the same time. They're both pretty much the same so that to me kind of rules out a flakey o2 sensor but I will change it anyhow the next time I'm working in the area of the O2 sensor.

Advanced Tuner
    OP,

Are you running the factory air box?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    OP,

Are you running the factory air box?
    No, it came with the HAHN intake.

To be honest I have been trying to find real information *besides HAHN website* regarding just how much of a restriction the factory one is. I would get a factory one and put it in if I didn't take a HP hit. I know a lot of cars the factory one isn't even a restriction yet people replace them anyways.
    Last edited by firehawk618; 12-07-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    You can crank a piss load of power through that stock airbox. But then you don't hear the turbo as much. People with LNFs sink a lot of money into intakes and cat back......noise is power to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO View Post
    You can crank a piss load of power through that stock airbox. But then you don't hear the turbo as much. People with LNFs sink a lot of money into intakes and cat back......noise is power to some people.
    So true...
    Same thing with DPs, every one wants a catless DP
    My testing shows that the stock DP with the 2nd cat 'cored', a simple fix, without even removing the DP, works just as well as an aftermarket catless DP.
    My last time at the track with my HHR SS automatic, I ran a 12.28 @ 112.67 with the stock DP with a 'cored' 2nd cat.
    Still running with the stock airbox, with a K&N airtube/filter.
    Last edited by 2000Firehawk; 12-09-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    2009 HHR SS automatic--- 350 HP - 450' LBS TORQUE,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZgoSN8Gk0
    Mostly stock - K&N air intake, TTech engine mount, 2nd cat 'cored', E47.5 tune, Lighter - wheels/tires/rotors.
    13.0's @ 110MPH, street tires, 12.28 @ 112.67 best on slicks, 1.7s 60' ETs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
    No, it came with the HAHN intake.

To be honest I have been trying to find real information *besides HAHN website* regarding just how much of a restriction the factory one is. I would get a factory one and put it in if I didn't take a HP hit. I know a lot of cars the factory one isn't even a restriction yet people replace them anyways.
    I'd suggest getting rid of the Hahn and moving back to a modified air box (modified snorkel, drop in or quality paper) and a ZZP intake tube. Your fueling will be much easier to get it where you want and maintain. I also believe you'll make as much if not more power. Only downside is you lose the additional turbo/bpv noise.

Good luck man.

Advanced Tuner
    I ran a Precision 5557 through the stock airbox on my balt when I had it. The ONLY restriction in the stock box is that corrugated elbow, which I believe it was ZZP who sells a silicone replacement.

It's likely the humidity plays a bit of a role, but the Hahn intake plays more of a role in the STFT swing. But, your tune may just need some more work.