Thread: TPS Reading 2% when it should be reading 0%

TPS Reading 2% when it should be reading 0%

First of all I can say I've searched and came up empty handed, I've done the TPS reset procedure like 10 times as well. With that said, I'm working on a 01 truck that has been swapped from a 5.3 to a 6.0, has an Edlebrock 90mm cable operated TB, GMPP Hot cam (part#12480033), and has the 25326903 (VIN Z) flex fuel injectors. Just got my hands on the truck last night & was gonna try to get the TPS voltage & IAC steps in line so I could start on the RAF but I've hit a brick wall with this constant 2% TPS with no throttle. Anyone ever have an issue like this? 6.0 SWAP 1.hpt
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

Me me me me!!!! I have a 92mm LS2 throttle body on mine, and I had to adjust the throttle plate screw to get my tps to read 0%. Mine was around 1.2% at idle.
    You can also try to unplug your IAC and TPS, turn the key to on, leave it for a min,turn the key back off, plug IAC and TPS back in, and turn key back on. Your computer should find 0. I had to do this on a 2500 truck. Now it reads 0% throttle at around .5v

Quote Originally Posted by odom1957 View Post
    Me me me me!!!! I have a 92mm LS2 throttle body on mine, and I had to adjust the throttle plate screw to get my tps to read 0%. Mine was around 1.2% at idle.
    You can also try to unplug your IAC and TPS, turn the key to on, leave it for a min,turn the key back off, plug IAC and TPS back in, and turn key back on. Your computer should find 0. I had to do this on a 2500 truck. Now it reads 0% throttle at around .5v
    I did that about 10 times with just the TPS unplugged, what I didn't do was unplug the IAC. I'll give that a shot, I've done the TPS reset before and never had any issues getting it to zero out though. Thanks alot for the the reply odom1957

Senior Tuner
    There is a post about it here somewhere. Caused by using factory TPS sensor with aftermarket throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    There is a post about it here somewhere. Caused by using factory TPS sensor with aftermarket throttle body.
    I'll dig and see what I can find. I've never messed with this brand of TB before but it has an idle bleed screw so if anything I can crank the blade stop screw to lower the TPS to 0% and open up the bleed screw to allow more airflow.

Senior Tuner
    I think it was actually discovered that it was the slop between where tps tongue fit into throttlebody groove. Need to run the tps for that throttle body. If I find the link ill post it.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    I think it was actually discovered that it was the slop between where tps tongue fit into throttlebody groove. Need to run the tps for that throttle body. If I find the link ill post it.
    Please do, I've been pulling my hair out lol. I can't start tuning this thing until I get the TPS to read right.

Ok messed with it a little more tonight & it still read 2-3% TPS no matter what I did. I ended up grabbing another TPS I had laying around the shop and plugged it in but didn't install it, the voltage dropped to .31 & the tps finally read 0%. I called the owner & tomorrow he's coming over to swap the sensor and see if that's all it was, I have heard though that some aftermarket throttle bodies sometimes have this issue & it's just the position of the butterfly shaft or the way it's keyed. I guess I'll know tomorrow & post up the results.

Advanced Tuner
    most likely if it wont reset with the engine off then you have the blade open too far what is the voltage?
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Quote Originally Posted by GPGTP View Post
    most likely if it wont reset with the engine off then you have the blade open too far what is the voltage?
    No, I backed the set screw off the blade stop to the point it doesn't even touch, TPS voltage will not go below .86, plug in another sensor and I get 0% and .31V.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok well it's either the sensor or you need to clock the sensor. OR shim the slop out of the shaft

Quote Originally Posted by GPGTP View Post
    Ok well it's either the sensor or you need to clock the sensor. OR shim the slop out of the shaft
    Yeah the sensor or slot the holes on the sensor. Too bad you have to pull the alternator to get to it, otherwise it would be a really fast fix.

At least you have something to go on now. I hope that is all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by odom1957 View Post
    At least you have something to go on now. I hope that is all it is.
    Thanks me too. I'll post the results tonight.

It was a bad TPS, swapped it with a used one I had and it's good to go.