Thread: Lnf flex fuel

Potential Tuner

Question Lnf flex fuel

I have a 2009 Cobalt ss. Wanting to get tuned for e47 but the consistency of e85 where I live isn't always spot on. Saw a thread on the cobalt forums where someone set up an ethonal content display with a flex fuel sensor to see their percentage of ethonal. While that is an option I would rather have the tune self adjust for the ethonal content. Has anyone successfully done so?

Advanced Tuner
    The E69 ECM will self adjust in a way by adjusting the long term fuel trims. This is by and far not the best way to do it, but if you own HPT you can make adjustments accordingly and would be fine. It does not have the capacity to do it on it's own.

Potential Tuner
    Thus is the thread I read. Zzp said they use this also to log in hp tuners.

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-...sensor-300235/

I guess I would just have to get a ethonal tester at the pump before I put it in the car.

You can get a flex fuel sensor installed and a gauge to see how its coming out of your tank. Me personally I don't want to spend the time to measure each gas pump when I want to fill up. The fuel trims can help you fix your tune for say and I wouldn't adjust the tune if it was more then 6% off.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, but it will not manipulate the tune automatically.

You could go full stand alone to get it to manipulate the tune. Only pcm that might work is the one for the 2.4 thats flex fuel already.

Don't worry about it, the ECM will take care of it for you.
    Nobody knows if 91 or 93 gas is really 91 or 93 either.
    I've been running an Ethanol blend in my LNF for 7 years now, & ran it in my LS1 Z28 for 4 years before that.
    Sure the blend at the pump might be a little off at times, but nothing to be concerned about.
    The Ethanol blend will put a smile on your face everyday...
    2009 HHR SS automatic--- 350 HP - 450' LBS TORQUE,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZgoSN8Gk0
    Mostly stock - K&N air intake, TTech engine mount, 2nd cat 'cored', E47.5 tune, Lighter - wheels/tires/rotors.
    13.0's @ 110MPH, street tires, 12.28 @ 112.67 best on slicks, 1.7s 60' ETs

Advanced Tuner
    The fluctuations between e70 and e85 at the pump are minimal when you are only running a "e47" blend. LTFT can and will adjust for the variance, just like it can adjust for the differences between if you put in 6.4 gallons of e85 and accidentally put in 6.5 gallons of gas instead of 6.4 gallons and made your mix a little off. If your LTFT are spot on when you tuned, then it won't matter if it swings percentages up and down.

Ideally we want perfectly controlled conditions when running and tuning our engine, but the reality is that we have to put up with variables that should be constants.

Potential Tuner
    Can anyone recommend a tuner around the NC area? I would be willing to drive a few hours to get the tune. Also need 2 tunes. I want to keep my current 93 tune and have the e47 tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Spade View Post
    Can anyone recommend a tuner around the NC area? I would be willing to drive a few hours to get the tune. Also need 2 tunes. I want to keep my current 93 tune and have the e47 tune.
    Do you own an HPTuners cable? I would assume you do, so that you can swap between your tunes when your fuel tank is empty.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO View Post
    Do you own an HPTuners cable? I would assume you do, so that you can swap between your tunes when your fuel tank is empty.
    No I don't own the cable. How much would that be for me to be able to swap back and forth?

Advanced Tuner
    HPTuners basic suite is $499 I believe.