Thread: 96 5.7 TBI controlled by 99 4.3 TBI in S10?

96 5.7 TBI controlled by 99 4.3 TBI in S10?

I'm dropping a 5.7 into my 99 ZR2, and I see lots of information online that it should be a simple segment swap - but I'm not even close to aware of how to do that. I've used HPTuners off and on for almost a dozen years now, but haven't tried this yet. I have the entire donor vehicle with the 5.7, but haven't attempted a read yet (didn't think HPtuners would do earlier than 98). I plan on using the 99 computer as long as it will work for me.

Guidance? Threads to direct me to? I've tried numerous searches without any results.

thanks
    Jon

First of all a 99 s10 is an MPFI 4.3. The TBI was last seen in 94 IIRC. Next what is your 5.7 donor vehicle? Is it an MPFI (Vortec) also? If so I'm thinking the easiest/most economical way of going about this would be using the computer from the 5.7 and repinning you ecu connectors and adding 2 wires to the harness to fire your 2 added injectors. May not be quite as simple as that, but should be pretty nice as all the sensor would be identical.
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

Yes, technically not "TBI", but it is CSFI not MPFI (that's another upgrade I may or may not do). The donor vehicle is a 96 model C1500 with a 5.7 with CSFI (unless it has been upgraded already-I'm doubting it). Both 4L60E, clutch fan.

I have read what you mention, but several forums/threads have cautioned against going backwards from a 99 as many integrated BCM functions will/may not function any more (ABS, etc). There are also many who suggest getting the 411 code computer for more adjustability and faster processing. I am aware I will need the 5.7 fuel injector housing plug wired into whatever computer I use (2 ground actuating wires, 2 12V switched sources for the extra 2 injectors). I do already have the pinouts for a 99 PCM and a 411PCM, it doesn't look that involved to do the swap, but if I don't need to I won't.

The repository has a couple 2002 Express 5.7l tuns that show they are from S10 V8 swaps - but I'm not sure if I can copy/past over to a stock 99 file appropriately. I haven't had the time to read both vehicles and go through some of the repository tunes to see what I can do. I also don't want to license a computer I'm not going to use in the end yet.

Why can't you do a write entire with this 1999 5.7 Vortec Classic truck file?

Russ Kemp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Why can't you do a write entire with this 1999 5.7 Vortec Classic truck file?

Russ Kemp
    Is it really that simple? I've done quite a few vehicles for tuning various parameters, a few built engines, some cams, but never trying to piece something together. I'll certainly give that a shot, and if nothing else it will be a beginning for the engine running file. The few forum items that I can find on it talk about "segmenting". There's an express 5.7 (2002 I believe) tune in the repository from a name that is on the S10 forums a bit, and I'll be looking and comparing that one as well.

Jon

The 2002 express file is for an 0411 ecm. That is the only way to go if you want to use a custom OS, and also I found overall just more tables available and easier to figure out any issues you might run into due to so many people tuning those ecms. If you plan on keeping the engine mostly stock and/or not going with any power adders you're just as well of with the older pcm, although I think you're right about not having support for anything older than 98 in the trucks. You hadn't specified the year of the donor vehicle and I am under the impression it takes more credits to write a different file on your existing ecm vs using on that has the correct OS on it. As far as the mpfi/csfi debate thats a minor hardware change and nothing different in the tune, whereas TBI is totally different from the top to the bottom and not gonna plug into a 99 ecm. Hope the swap goes smoothly for you.
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

The donor is a 96 C1500 - although the engine was put in it from another vehicle (unknown what year/model it was). It looks like any other 96 model 5.7 vortec. I'm not going to be doing anything performance wise, just freshening the engine and slapping it in. From what I've read that should be a significant boost to the truck all by itself. I am looking to minimize the budget, so if a 411 update is not necessary then I'll likely forgo it. I was imagining that the 2002 file would have tables that I could copy over if the 99 5.7 file didn't do the trick all by itself....

Quote Originally Posted by E55Amg View Post
    Is it really that simple? I've done quite a few vehicles for tuning various parameters, a few built engines, some cams, but never trying to piece something together. I'll certainly give that a shot, and if nothing else it will be a beginning for the engine running file. The few forum items that I can find on it talk about "segmenting". There's an express 5.7 (2002 I believe) tune in the repository from a name that is on the S10 forums a bit, and I'll be looking and comparing that one as well.

Jon
    Yes, it's that simple. The V6 & V8 pcm's are the same in that year. So just do a write entire with the file that I posted. Then just add the extra injector wires.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Yes, it's that simple. The V6 & V8 pcm's are the same in that year. So just do a write entire with the file that I posted. Then just add the extra injector wires.

Russ Kemp
    Awesome!