Thread: New to tuning with a new combination need advice on my scan

Tuner in Training

New to tuning with a new combination need advice on my scan

Very new to tuning and interested in learning.

This is a fresh build with a safe tune provided by an external vendor. I have ordered a new WB so that will not be included in the log.
    The dynamic airflow has been deleted and this is the first log on that tune.

Please give me some thoughts on what area to focus on myself other than getting the WB hooked up.
    Does appear if I'm looking at the data correctly to have a lot left to be done with the timing around 14-15 @ wot

This combo consist of a stock 90k mile bottom end 02 LS1 in a 6sp Trans Am.

TFS 205 CNC small bore Heads 58cc chamber with GM mls gaskets for a comp ratio of 11.3:1
    BTR stage 3 n/a camshaft 23/242 6xx / 59x 112+2
    1 3/4 Kooks and Y Pipe
    36lb Bosch red Injectors
    LS6 Intake, stock MAF, Ported Stock TB.

any advice is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    No one?

I have found it very hard to get help on here also. Don't give up on tuning. You may just have to learn it yourself as I am having to do. Once I get to my laptop, I'll have a look at your tune and see if anything jumps out at me.

Tune looks pretty good in the log. No knock except when you blip the throttle. The wot timing may be a bit low, but don't tune wot without a wideband.
    That may be why you haven't gotten more responses. You said any responses "other" than the wideband. A lot of n/a tunes can use low 20's for wot timing but it depends on your combo. Next thing is "post your tune". Some days this site is pretty slow, but there are a lot of guys here that can help a LOT. If you are in a big hurry, this is not the place.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the Positive Reinforcement!

I'm reading as much as possible and will not give up, don't want to overdo it and cause issues.

The WB should be here next week so that will help with the WOT tuning. My primary question now is why so much timing is being pulled at WOT, and in the tables it's set to 23 and being reduced to around 14.5-16 during those hit and no KR is present?

Here is the tune
    Attached Files Attached Files

Did you have the traction control turned off? It looks like it is getting timing from the Low Octane table.
    If it wasn't turned off, turn it off and make another short run.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    The car is not equipped with T/C.

Not one of the options, that is strange.

If I remove the retard from the T/C Abuse tables will that eliminate that as the possible cause for the LO timing being used?

Most certainly a loose nut between the seat and steering wheel..........lol
    Last edited by brobinson216; 11-21-2015 at 10:13 PM.

fuel trims indicate a lean condition. i would work on ve to get fuel in line, then you should be able to add more timing. good start though.

you also have some idle problems from the tune. i would adjust the desired airflow rolling idle too. that should get your idle to smooth out a bit. you might have an issue with timing advance smoothing, or the lack thereof, instead of idle airflow.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by odom1957 View Post
    you also have some idle problems from the tune. i would adjust the desired airflow rolling idle too. that should get your idle to smooth out a bit. you might have an issue with timing advance smoothing, or the lack thereof, instead of idle airflow.
    The idle seems fine really, and it cranks very easily with minimum surge on initial startup. Then Last night as suggested I did another log after removing the timing retard in the T/C tables.

Results was no change still appears to be using the Low Octane tables for timing. Thought about copy and paste from the high to the low and see what happens?

Stopped at the store for some more fuel because it is now drinking the gas pretty well. When I went t start the car it failed to crank and after the second try, it fired unhappily with lots of surging. By the time I arrived home it was smooth idling again.

I do know the thing is pig rich at idle. Which table(s) control the idle fuel?

i used to have a histo that plotted a percent based on lambda, but i cant find it. dang it!!! i use the Initial Adder table on fuel tab for idle fuel. on my new setup on the caddie, i had to multiply it by 6 from stock to get my idle decent. I guess the centrifugal adds too much air at idle. lol

remember to store your tune BEFORE changes, so you can go back easily. I use date codes on the names of my tunes, then i can go back to the last time it ran if i messed it up.

if you are unsure of anything, or just want to know exactly what each table does, like me, then change one table, load the tune, and log it to watch the changes. do you have MAF still?

edit....i reread original post. stock MAF, got it.

Tuner in Training
    I will try tables each at a time. Like I said new to tuning but want to learn and have been reading for weeks and weeks and weeks.....lol

yes still MAF.

Quote Originally Posted by cny1209 View Post
    I just got my HP tuners in scanned and downloaded my 05 CTSV. Can someone tell me whats up with my main VE table reading 89 @ 800rpm. I logged the car too and under the LTFT/STFT histogram it shows -100. WTF. Can anyone help with this? Car has tubes, intake and I'm preparing to cam swap but I want to fix this first. My logs are posted
    please post a new thread so you don't hijack this one. I will have a look and answer in your thread. thanks.