Thread: 418 stroker park NW102 idle issue

Advanced Tuner

418 stroker park NW102 idle issue

So i have this 09 silverado i did a 418 build on.

236/246 109 lsa 107 icl 625 lift on both i/e
    holley hi ram
    NW102tb
    60 # injectors siemens ev1
    AFR 230cc big bore heads
    compresion around 11.2:1

Truck drives wonderfully, and idles perfectly fine in park and in reverse and in drive.. does NOT surge one bit whilst idling or moving, etc.

The issue is that the truck just shuts off completely when putting the selector on park or neutral after being on drive. I experimented and determined that if I go to D or R in the selector then wait 1 sec and immediately go back to park or neutral, the idle is almost unaffected. But if i put the selector in D and apply the brake for about 5 seconds or so and then go back to Park, the truck just shuts off completely. There are instances when it wants to catch and then it surges for a good 10 seconds and catches but almost 100% of the time the truck just shuts off.

Any ideas on what it can be? ill be attaching a log of when the truck shut off and the hpt file.

I tried everything i could think of. Even touched some idle tables i never have before and nothing worked so reverted back to most of the factory tables besides the obvious tb scalar tables and rpm and airflow tables.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cesar; 11-18-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    adjust your ETC area to a smaller number could help. also why is your timing all over the place. choppy
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    brought it back to stock 5250 ish value, no luck. idles fine with almost any value i put in the scalar, but once i stay in drive for 10 seconds or so and put it to park, it turns off. I turn it on and idles perfectly in park, and the transition from park to drive is also perfect.

any other ideas? spark timing? maybe the ecu is pulling airflow/timing on drive then once i transition to park, it shuts it down because of the previous desire to pull timing/airflow ?

im running out of ideas... been going at it for about 2 hours

no idea why timing is all over the place either, but it sure is choppy as fuck.
    Last edited by cesar; 11-19-2015 at 12:50 AM.

you need to raise your BRAF. your adaptive timing is going insane. set you around 1.5 idle region and interpolate

you will notice that your idle will be more stable

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    you need to raise your BRAF. your adaptive timing is going insane. set you around 1.5 idle region and interpolate

you will notice that your idle will be more stable
    thanks for the suggestion but can you be more specific on what i bolded?

are you talking about the under and over speed adaptive spark tables? or the BRAF? 1.5 in which units? lbs? g/s? etc

THANK YOU

EDIT: I assume you mean 1.5 lb/min? if so thats about 11.7 g/s, i've already tried with 2 lb/min no luck for BRAF
    Last edited by cesar; 11-19-2015 at 01:07 AM.

right now your set to metric ok, but with that change log your ignition timing at idle and see whats going.

you need to base running airflow you have almost stock numbers

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    right now your set to metric ok, but with that change log your ignition timing at idle and see whats going.

you need to base running airflow you have almost stock numbers
    i understand the base running airflow is close to stock but it doesnt die or shut off when idling on both drive and park, even after a couple of good revs, it doesnt shut off.

I have 2 lb/min on the idle rpm, the spark is a little bit less crazy but it still shuts off when i go into park after driving a bit

Last edited by cesar; 11-19-2015 at 01:47 AM.

Try bumping the base airflow up anyways. Try something pretty significant.. like increase the whole table 20%. That might not be enough if you're going from a stock cam'd 5.3 to a cam'd 418.. that's a hell of a jump.

Try reducing the idle adaptive spark tables. There are 6 of them under spark-->advance. Cut them in half and see if it makes any difference

idle-->RPM tab, the enable proportional error RPM, try increasing that a bit to say 75 and raise the integral one to 30

See what happens

Add idle adapt advance to what you're logging
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    fixed the issue. Went speed density, dropped ignition timing to low teens, reduced under and over rpm spark tables, base running airflow was set to 13 g/s at the idle point.

hope this helps someone in the future.

Good to hear!