Thread: SD tune not failing maf until engine runs for a few seconds?

Advanced Tuner

SD tune not failing maf until engine runs for a few seconds?

Hey guys, so I'm working on a couple 04-05 trucks right now, speed density on both. Maf is set to fail at 0hz, p0102 and p0103 set to fail on first error, no light. However, after a flash or anytime the codes are cleared, the trucks start, run like crap, die and then start again and I pedal them to keep them running until the code sets, and then they run perfect. Any ideas of what I could be missing?

It can be a 'thing'. Set the MAF table to all zero's but set the bottom (0HZ) one, set that to your idle value... something like 12.5ish gr. It will sit there at startup until it codes and at least it will idle.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It can be a 'thing'. Set the MAF table to all zero's but set the bottom (0HZ) one, set that to your idle value... something like 12.5ish gr. It will sit there at startup until it codes and at least it will idle.
    That's exactly what I do. I have tried from 6 to 15 gr. The car starts and idle but runs rough until the MAF code sets then it runs smoothly.
    I think we are missing some MAF parameters to set the time needed to fail the MAF, to make it fail instantly instead of waiting several seconds. I'm almost positive of this because all the cars I tune in SD take the same time to fail the MAF, pretty consistent issue.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner
    It's Very Normal Because the ECM doesn't get the idea after a while ... but this only happen if u remove the battery .

I was having the same issue with an 04 GTO.

If you have the MAF installed, put the 8-12 g/sec in the 0-4000 hz cells..The 0 Hz cell works if you have no MAF inoputting a frequency.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Seems the only solution is a band aid to force the motor to idle until the code sets. I had previously tried putting idle range data in the 0hz cell and it sort of helped. But my truck burned down last friday, so I'm not longer able to try things on my own truck. Do have one customers truck that had the same issue. Still no progress on his except for tolerating the rough idle after a flash/code clear