Thread: Spark advance well below table

Spark advance well below table

Hi guys, having trouble with spark advance not being close to high octane table. Turbo ls1 low boost on 4psi at the moment AFR is good @11.8 and desired 11.7 the AFR correction table has been zero' out and no KR at all. Advance was dropping off to 5-6deg and kind of jumping around a bit. I set lowest retard to 10deg and did another power run again drops to 10 and bounces around a bit. no KR and AFR is good. Only thing I haven't done is check idle spark table or check speed for idle table but seemed like AFR related?
    Anyone had this? OS is on 2bar map speed density

Check ECT and IAT spark adjust tables

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

All 0 for safe temps. Think I found the issue, torque management settings

Senior Tuner
    Make sure you're not logging anything related to the MAF sensor. When you're in SD with the MAF failed, that will screw up where the scan tool shows you are on the map for spark unless you remove it from the logs.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Make sure you're not logging anything related to the MAF sensor. When you're in SD with the MAF failed, that will screw up where the scan tool shows you are on the map for spark unless you remove it from the logs.
    Great point Mike....best thing to do is log Dynamic air (PID.2320) and create a Dynamic Cylinder Airmass (DCA) pid using the dynamic airflow pid in place of the MAF PID. [PID.2320.MET]*(120/[HPT.NUM_CYL])/[PID.12]

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Ah never thought of that! Thanks, I did have maf Hz on there and noticed when on boost histogram and scan didn't go over 125kpa when actual manifold pressure was 144kpa. I just logged it and went off the 2bar pid that showed accurate. So I changed max torque settings and found made little differance. What I found fixed it was burst knock retard enable delta cyl air table. This had been set previously to 8.0g/cyl on the 1 bar speed density tune. I had to use a stock file to change to 2 bar speed density and hadn't changed this setting from Std of .011 I don't quite understand this table? If your g/cyl go over the table figure it removes timing specified in the burst kr vs. RPM table? If this is correct why pull timing if no knock?

Senior Tuner
    Burst knock is a predictive timing pull...if a certain delta in airflow always causes it to knock, it pulls the timing preemptively in order to avoid knocking.

Knocking once and then pulling timing when the sensors hear it is worse than never knocking. Also, you need to pull more timing to stop knocking than you would have to in order to avoid knocking.

I disable it on some stuff and I use it on other stuff...depends on the setup and how it wants to react for me.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Thanks for that mike, ok I understand it now.