Thread: Fresh 370 wont run on proper injector data...god help me!!

Potential Tuner

Fresh 370 wont run on proper injector data...god help me!!

Ok, engine/platform background info:

2000 single cab Silverado originally 5.3/60e
    currently has an Lq4 based 370
    Wiseco Flat tops
    317s milled .035 and heavily ported
    truck intake
    ported TB
    233/252 .619/.596 112+5
    Green top 42lb Injectors
    built 80e
    3800FTI

This is a fresh motor and Im trying to get it to run long enough to atleast burp the cooling system.

I initially attempted to access the PCM that was in the truck, but it turned out that it was locked by some tuner in the past. Whatever, that PCM went in the trash and I had a 2001 4.3 based 0411 sitting around, so I flashed it with this 5.3 OS and began to make adjustments. It will start and idle for 15 or so second on the tune I posted below, MINUS the 42lb injector data...but when I add in the 42lb injector data it wont even idle for a half second. Ive messed with Idle airflow in both directions, and posted this all over facebook groups. some are saying I need to have a V8 based PCM, others say I SHOULD be fine with what I have. Im lost in the sauce here. Can anyone help? I just find it REALLY odd that the factory injector data allows it to idle on its own for a little bit on 42lb SVT Green Tops...

here is the current tune, and two logs...one of which is three consecutive attempts at starting the truck with 42lb injector data, and the other is IT RUNNING briefly on factory injector data.White truck 2.5 GCSS.hptLOG GCSS TUNE.hplLOG DYING.hpl

Potential Tuner
    I've also tried MULTIPLE different flavors of "Ford Green Top 42lb Injector data" From this forum, the repository, and other tuners. they all do the same.

So it ran with the 42 lb injectors using the stock values.....take the percentage difference from the stock inj IFR and 42lb'rs IFR and adjust the MAF accordingly (looks like you should double it). With the 42lb injectors and stock values, the PCM will be "over fueling" because it thinks the injectors are smaller than they really are. That is a nasty cam with 18.5 degrees of overlap. Set idle timing to like 26 degrees and add 15% to Normal injection timing. Put adaptive idle spark over/underspeed back to stock and reduce 0-100 rpm eror values (both plus and minus) by 50%. Put the adptive idle Proportional and Integrl values back to stock and double the rpm error values. See if at least starts and runs.

Also log your IAC steps and see where they are as it warms up, you may have to open the Throttle blade with the setscrew. Keep TPS% (V) down to like <1.0 volts while attaining a 40-50 step count at operating temp. If unable to keep voltage down, you may have to open the hole in the blade. Reset the TPS ech time you make IAC setscrew adjustments.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 11-15-2015 at 07:07 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, Ed. I appreciate your input and time, greatly. Ill attempt all of that here shortly and report back. Forums are insanely frustrating to use for info, as they take a long time for responses and replies.

Quote Originally Posted by fliggnewtin View Post
    Thanks, Ed. I appreciate your input and time, greatly. Ill attempt all of that here shortly and report back. Forums are insanely frustrating to use for info, as they take a long time for responses and replies.
    Your welcome, lets see if it helps. Check out web site www.ermperformancetuning.com :-)

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    cannot notice any change. fires and dies as if VATS were enabled. but its not. IT DID HOWEVER fire and high idle for like 2-3 seconds and then immediately cut off, one of the times I cranked it...could not replicate...back to firing and dying...this is miserable

Key on, start logger, crank...lets see what happens in log...whar are you logging by the way.

Ed M

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Just noticed no TPS signal in the data log. Swapped TPS Out, still not registering a signal

Potential Tuner
    Got that fixed. Wasn't the issue. Just uploaded one of my old 5.3 speed density tunes and it runs a little longer. I'm about to hook up this damn wideband and see what its doing when it stalls.

Again, what pids are you logging and do you have any logs to show. Where is the throttle blade/IAC settings at cold and hot? Log the following PIDS...IAC POS, IAC POS desired, Idle Desired Air, LTIT P/N, LTIT IG, STIT, map, advance, rpm, dynamic Air, MAF, LT and STFT, RAF P/N and RAF IG, Startup airflow.

As I said above, key on, connect scanner, start scanner, verify map is 100 or so, start car, log until it dies. do once or twice and then try and pedal it so adaptive idle can enable and try and hold the idle with no pedal. Post the logs.

Ed M

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Sorry Ed, getting bombarded with info from people all over Facebook groups. Not ignoring your instructions. Ended up failing MAF and adding some VE, Scaled the IFR down to the low 30s, factory injector data aside from that. 26* timing in all 1200 and below cells. Fires up and idles @ 950rpm around 15:1 but slowly leans out. On the right path I believe, but it hates High 40 to 50's IFR. wont even light off. Here is the current tune:

SPEED DENSITY TUNE THAT RUNS CURRENTLY.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by fliggnewtin View Post
    Sorry Ed, getting bombarded with info from people all over Facebook groups. Not ignoring your instructions. Ended up failing MAF and adding some VE, Scaled the IFR down to the low 30s, factory injector data aside from that. 26* timing in all 1200 and below cells. Fires up and idles @ 950rpm around 15:1 but slowly leans out. On the right path I believe, but it hates High 40 to 50's IFR. wont even light off. Here is the current tune:

SPEED DENSITY TUNE THAT RUNS CURRENTLY.hpt
    The problem I am having is you are trying to tune the car with IFR when you should be tuning MAF/VE. You need to establish the correct IFR and other injector data applicable to those injectors, then tune the air models....

Ed M

[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    The other problem is that your injector data is not setup correctly for the truck fuel system. The trucks run a vacuum referenced FP regulator so your flow rate needs to be a flat value across the table and your Offset values and low pulse adders are still stock. You need to get the right values in the calibration for those injectors before you move forward.

Also, a side question, did you do a Write Entire when you switched the OS?
    Jaime